Converting to the dark side - training/employment prospects etc.

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
HOFO

Converting to the dark side - training/employment prospects etc.

Postby HOFO » Fri Aug 30 2019, 02:27

G'day all,

Long time stalker, first time poster.

Around the coffee table at work of late there's been a lot more discussion about making the move to fixed wing for lifestyle and job security (relative to the current heli industry)...... and of course in an airline, have someone else flight plan for you!

We've all heard about the apparent shortage of FW pilots abroad where they're starting to take on experienced rotary guys but has anyone here made the jump or seriously looked into it? I'm interested in what the prospects are for an experienced rotary guy to make the jump here in Australia. (Disregarding a move overseas for those of us that aren't willing or able to)

Obviously if you've spent years/decades developing a rotary career you're probably hesitant to go back to flying scenics in a Cessna on $45k/yr, however blokes here (in a ME IFR operation) that have 20+ years experience and are already paid in well in excess of $200k are going out and getting their CPL-A and ATPL-A's.

I'll try and post a similar thread on other sites that are aeroplane orientated and anything of interest I'll copy back over.

Just interested in starting a discussion here as it seems like a hot topic of late.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Converting to the dark side - training/employment prospects etc.

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Aug 31 2019, 05:21

In the offshore downturn I applied to an major airline a few years ago for a traineeship. I had ATPL H with a few multi heli command IR renewals at the time and frozen ATPL A subjects. I was told I had too many hours total time and they were after trainees with no or little experience.

The starting pay was very low and a lot of time away from home so for me it would mean having to relocate to a major city where the bases were.

Thankfully offshore picked back up and happily touring again.

I’m in my early 40’s family etc so It just wouldn’t work for me like offshore touring lifestyle does.

I’m not sure what it’s like now with cadet ships etc, it’s probably easier if you had over 1500 fixed wing and multi time though.

Good luck to those that choose the switch. :wink:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Aug 31 2019, 09:31

The fixed wing industry is far more buoyant than the local rotary industry at present, moreso in the USA where they have rotary transition programs to attract military and civilian helicopter pilots into the airlines as well as $40-60k sign on bonuses and a pathway to the majors. It's not for everyone however its pulling a lot of people away from the military and GA into its ranks. Big money is now on offer as well as accelerated command upgrades. It's a good time to be an airplane pilot and looks like being that way for a long time.
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Aug 31 2019, 15:59

HOFO wrote:G'day all,

Long time stalker, first time poster.

Around the coffee table at work of late there's been a lot more discussion about making the move to fixed wing for lifestyle and job security (relative to the current heli industry)...... and of course in an airline, have someone else flight plan for you!

We've all heard about the apparent shortage of FW pilots abroad where they're starting to take on experienced rotary guys but has anyone here made the jump or seriously looked into it? I'm interested in what the prospects are for an experienced rotary guy to make the jump here in Australia. (Disregarding a move overseas for those of us that aren't willing or able to)

Obviously if you've spent years/decades developing a rotary career you're probably hesitant to go back to flying scenics in a Cessna on $45k/yr, however blokes here (in a ME IFR operation) that have 20+ years experience and are already paid in well in excess of $200k are going out and getting their CPL-A and ATPL-A's.

I'll try and post a similar thread on other sites that are aeroplane orientated and anything of interest I'll copy back over.

Just interested in starting a discussion here as it seems like a hot topic of late.

Hey buddy,

Are you considering doing it in the US or Australia only?

Im currently looking at the US options but also looking for someone I can share hour building with as in the US you can share a block of hour building hours that both pilot can log to get up to the 250hrs FW PIC required for the airlines.

Anyone else looking at the US and interested in sharing hour building send me a PM.

Cheers

Return to “General Employment Questions”