Canadian Visa

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Canadian Visa

Postby mdav » Mon Sep 9 2019, 05:06

I have been offered work in Canada and would like to get a visa to work but the main two options are not options:

1: Working holiday, nope to old.
2: Sponsorship, nope company won't do it anymore.

I guess marrying a Canadian is a option, but don't want to go down that route, so any other methods?
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Canadian Visa

Postby jimiemick » Mon Sep 9 2019, 05:41

What is the age now days ? It used to be 35 I thought.
I had a visa and never used it.

If your too old and you can’t get sponsorship maybe the marriage way. Not sure how tight they are on it like the USA.

My sisters is a Permanent resident when I talk to her next I’ll ask some questions.
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Mon Sep 9 2019, 05:45

Contact Daniel Levey at Campbell Cohen law firm.

He will have an answer for you. Ive used him before for Canada Visa's.

Good luck but its not easy.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Mon Sep 9 2019, 06:45

Under further investigation Seems pilots fall under skilled cat B which qualifies you for a residency visa, looks like a timely process, so a immigration lawyer might be the go here.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Tue Sep 10 2019, 01:40

The current CRS ranking of Express entry favours the provincial nomination big time.
Most of the programs only give points to people with past 2yr study and or 1yr plus work experience in province/territory. Offshore applications are possible, but limited. Also different province has different criteria, if nominating offshore pilots.

Google CIC express entry and see if you get 450-500 points without provincial nomination. Otherwise futile. Yes, Canada's skilled migration is NOT as bull as Aussie headache in terms of specific work skills, nowhere near.

Due to past abuse of company specific work permits, system isn't as easy as before.
Just FYI, not wanting to sound party pooper, but there's more to it than job offer from company not sponsoring and some cash to migration lawyer.
bubble bugs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bubble bugs » Tue Sep 10 2019, 07:20

If a Canadian company needs to employ a non Canadian to fill a position in Canada they should be providing visa's, just like Australian companies do for foreign pilots to go fly in Australia. If they aren't willing, or can't get a work permit for an employee they shouldn't be offering foreigners positions. Without a sponsored work permit and if your too old to qualify for the working holiday program, Id be pretty confident in saying it ain't going to happen.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Wed Sep 11 2019, 02:51

Seems some past pilots with the company I spoke with have abused the sponsorships so there not willing to go down that path again. I think for now although not impossible, the effort to do it and the expense, it would be easier to not bother about it.

Thanks for the responses so far hope it helps someone else as down the track.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Sep 11 2019, 20:57

You mean the company covered some type training and the pilots didn't stick around to uphold their side of deal/length of employment. Hmm. Sad. Plenty selfish bad apples around. Even if minority, still too many. The ego that drives some of rotary pilots or pilots in general to this profession.

I meant abuse by companies not paying market rate to locals and ignoring them when applying for jobs. Those Aussies and Kiwis without family/GF/BF (had to add that one to be more inclusive) are lot easier to keep in bush for whole season/long periods, too.

Return to “General Employment Questions”