Mil rotary to airlines - any experience?

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Mil rotary to airlines - any experience?

Postby Queestce » Sat Jan 4 2020, 06:47

G'day all,

Wondering if there are any ex-military rotary pilots lurking on the forum who have jumped ship to join and fly for airlines (intl or domestic)? I'm looking for some insight on that path and anyone with some experience who is willing to share it would be of great help! Happy to chat in the thread, or via PM for more specifics :wink:

Any help would me much appreciated.

Many thanks and safe flying.

Tk
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Mil rotary to airlines - any experience?

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jan 4 2020, 08:09

Not sure about Australia but I'm not aware of any programs.

In the USA, you have to be a US citizen and US military for that program however civilian helicopter pilots with the requirements can also join the and have the conversion largely paid for.

Several Oz helicopter guys have self-funded and are now flying with US regionals. PM me your details and I'll send through some information I have.

Also check out this site:

https://rotarytoairlinegroup.org/
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Sat Jan 4 2020, 09:24

PM sent mate. Many thanks.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Jan 4 2020, 09:34

Why not go to Toll? That's what all the other ex-mil Heli pilots do!
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sat Jan 4 2020, 12:38

Go to the US and the regionals on an E3 visa. That’ll be your best bet. You’ll need your fixed wing ratings but your heli time will count towards the total hours. Loads of info on airlinepilotforums.com
plankdriver

Postby plankdriver » Sat Jan 4 2020, 15:25

Depends on your end goal and attachment to Aus. The quickest way for you to would definitely be via a US Regional on an E3 visa. Another option (and more expensive) if you have the right to work in the UK would be to go there and do the UKATPL Ground school and 14 exams. After that box is ticked you would be a good candidate for RYR, Ezy or Jet 2. Two-three years there or the US and you will have a jet LHS or the minimums to get into a wide-body in the Middle East. If you want to stay in Aus then you are going to need some GA time-maybe not a lot but at least 500 hrs plank with a MECIR to get into QLink or similar. There a more than a few of us here at EK that were rotor heads previously. Good luck.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sun Jan 5 2020, 10:02

As the above posts..
mate has just done conversion to from flying Rotary Single engine in north OZ to ME IFR airlines in US..Had zero fixed wing experience.. now flying united express in US on Embraer 170. Reckons best move he has made.. i tend to agree...

PM me if you want his contact details..
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Mon Jan 6 2020, 23:21

G'day again all,

Thanks for all the replies and PMs, much appreciated. It's certainly not a locked in plan as yet, I am just trying to tailor what I do with any mil years I have remaining toward where I want to end up downstream. There is a possibility of leaving the ADF with a good whack of rotary hours and maybe 700ish hours plank. The US programs and opportunities are certainly attractive, but I was hoping that if I can achieve the minimums for DE First Officer with one of the major carries based in Aus, UK, or the ME that might save me a bit of cash and a few years of ground work. The uncertainty there is that I might have the minimums, but I've no idea if airline recruiters look upon PIC multi-crew ME IFR/NVG rotary time as highly beneficial for a prospective applicant, or if they would always prefer someone with more fixed wing time. I'd like to argue that flying a helicopter around low level in the dark and rain and doing anything from IFR to hunting a submarine might be more complex than your average A330 jaunt, but let's not open that can of worms :wink:

If anyone has had experience with that and can let me know how their hours were received it'd be of great help. I will get in touch with some recruiters too, but the contacts are seemingly well guarded behind online applications forms... Thanks for the PM'd contacts, I will touch base with those and glean what I can.

Safe flying all.

Cheers
Longrass
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Longrass » Tue Jan 7 2020, 12:57

I dare say Erik Prince will be chasing guys with your experience in Iran/Iraq within the next week or two.

On another subject an interesting podcast to listen to is Cleared Hot: Erik Prince.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Tue Jan 7 2020, 14:03

Was on a flight in Australia recently. Ended up sitting next to a Qantas wide body captain who had spent a few years in China a couple of years ago. We talked at length.
The Captain said go to China for the $$$$ and experience.
Work conditions aren’t the best but the $$$ made up for it. Also build hours and experience fast.
YMMV
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Wed Jan 8 2020, 22:54

https://careers.virginaustralia.com/cw/ ... ortunities

With your hours and happy to live in Sydney or Canberra?

Plus if you meet the 1200 multi command on helicopters you can go DE captain, and the pay is more competitive with the Queens shilling.

Best part is you get a Virgin Australia seniority number, not split like Qantas which has the subsidiarys.

Return to “General Employment Questions”