RFS

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

RFS

Postby godfather007 » Thu Mar 10 2016, 09:43

NSW RFS State air desk shake up.
Who can confirm or deny the roumers ?
Has the media got hold of it yet ?
There is always an option.
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: RFS

Postby County » Thu Mar 10 2016, 11:07

A big clean out I believe.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Mar 10 2016, 11:21

Taken long enough.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Mar 10 2016, 19:04

County wrote:A big clean out I believe.

Starting at which end? I'll get the popcorn on.
powerplus++

Postby powerplus++ » Thu Mar 10 2016, 21:32

All the main players either relocated or stood down
A least their might be some FAIR and equitable decisions come out of this place in the future
Hopefully an independent body will be put in the ivory tower to manage this place
Don't hold your breath though pop; **^**
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Mar 11 2016, 23:41

powerplus++ wrote:least their might be some FAIR and equitable decisions come out of this place in the future

Can you elaborate on that please
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Sat Mar 12 2016, 11:30

Is this from the open letter because one operator wasn't getting any fire work, so he threatened to ICAC. Children at work. Grow up
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Sun Mar 13 2016, 00:33

Obviously on the right track as if you ani't done anything wrong you wouldn't get stood down. Could be side effects.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Sun Mar 13 2016, 19:15

Actually if a formal complaint is made against someone its customary practice to stand them aside while an investigation is undertaken - doesn't mean they are guilty or not guilty.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Mar 13 2016, 22:20

Heli-Ops, very true.

However there has been a LOT of talk about how people are not happy with a number of decisions made by rfs.
They improved a lot over the years and then started to get a little too friendly with some operators and not others.
A few people were baffled at the some things they require to be able to get a CWN agreement with no promise of work.
The aviation arm of rfs could be done a lot better as far as a lot of people are concerned.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Mon Mar 14 2016, 20:58

I thought Call When Needed was not a guarantee of work - just a "we will call you if we need you when we have run out of other options" Thats the way it works in other countries from what I have seen.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Mar 14 2016, 22:14

Again, very true.
You would also have a good idea what the cost is of setting up a helicopter for fire work would be. And when you price it to them accordingly, they baulk at using you because you're too expensive. Then you don't put in an EOI for two years and they ask why.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Tue Mar 15 2016, 02:29

Absolutely HIP - but why bother spending all the $$$ on fitting out a helo for a CWN contract when there is no guaranteed work at the end of the day. If you dont win an exclusive use contract then dont worry about it as cant see the point of spending all that money meeting the specs only to whine about it if they dont get called as not needed.

My guess is RFS, NAFC, CFA all put out specs as to what they need for the season. If there are no operators willing to spend the $$ and outfit as per their spec then its tough luck for the agencies when the s#!t hits the fan. They either use whats available or s#!t burns - and if that happens maybe then they will just call whoever is available whether it meets the CWN specs or not.
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Tue Mar 15 2016, 11:52

Yes you have it. If the rfs ain't going to commit then don't rely on CWN = Call When Needed... It is exactly that - we will call you when needed. It's not a guarantee. The problem is certain operators RELY on CWN as the only source of income. If you don't have a different source of income then don't play the CWN game and if you don't get called then don't go running to ICAC thinking you have been scammed!!!
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Mar 15 2016, 18:09

I'm sure the due processes will sort it out.

Another rumor I've heard quite a bit of has the RFS building a base north of Sydney and operating their own AirWing, much like the cops (and bigger than their current operations). I've got no idea how much merit is in that, but would be good for employment. A lot of operators would be feeling the pinch of a few meager seasons in a row. And there's a bit of bigger gear sitting around of late, waiting to be paid off. I can certainly understand why it causes such a fuss.
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Tue Mar 15 2016, 23:27

If that happens Jabberwocky, Kiss the GA Helicopter industry in NSW goodbye.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Wed Mar 16 2016, 03:04

Helicopters Australasia had a joint media release from an AHIA meeting with NSW agencies and other key players. It would appear your concerns were aired and progress has started to sort some things out.

Need a complimentary copy? Ask Editor E: robsrich@bigpond.com.

AHIA
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Wed Mar 30 2016, 00:15

Anyone heard of ARRDENT Pty Ltd ?
Nothing came up on the trusty google !
aSIC Search says it was registered in feb 2014
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Dec 17 2018, 09:09

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Dec 17 2018, 10:59

Ya know if I had access to funding I’d be doing like others and buying up old blackhawks and converting them to fire fighting assets. There is a global market outside of the Australian fire season and there’s profit to be made. Would be good to see an enterprising state organisation like RFS getting these assets to pay some of their own way in other hot(pardon the pun) spots through the year.

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”