Robinson preflight - consolidated thread

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Robinson preflight - consolidated thread

Postby papillons » Sun Mar 31 2013, 02:58

Happy Easter, Slappers all.

There's lots of good stuff scattered about this site and elsewhere re: Robbie preflights, but as a low timer on R22/44 I'm keen to hear what the experienced guys focus on checking on their preflights. Particularly interested in indicators (in an unfamiliar ship) that would make you baulk/follow up before launching.
¡Librame!
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Robinson preflight - consolidated thread

Postby papillons » Sun Mar 31 2013, 03:01

POH guidance duly noted, btw.
¡Librame!
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Sun Mar 31 2013, 07:15

Thanks 555ron, good vids.
¡Librame!
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sun Mar 31 2013, 22:45

If you're flying an R44 with the ELT mounted in the tailcone area (near the hydraulic reservoir), make sure the entire ELT is well secured by plastic tie-wraps, as well as the factory velcro straps.
Needle Splitter
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Needle Splitter » Mon Apr 1 2013, 11:33

My advice after having previously done 1,300hrs in the R44, don't focus only on specific areas when carrying out your preflight & this goes for any machine - Particularly when dealing with an unknown A/C! Pre flight the entire machine using a step by step process customised to suit yourself, that way you soon learn what looks/feels right & what doesn't.

If your simply after various faults which pilots have come across, then I could probably write a list as long as my arm. Most of the faults which I have come across usually have only occurred once or twice hence the reason for not concentrating your preflight in specific areas.

I also believe in a good post flight from time to time as well.
Cheers & good luck.
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Mon Apr 1 2013, 11:40

Chrs little bird & needle splitter.
¡Librame!
lindsay55
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby lindsay55 » Wed Apr 3 2013, 02:17

A couple of things to keep an eye on (r44):

The exhaust manifolds, pipes, muffler have a habbit of "blowing out" at bends or connections.

Things like cable ties, or the clamps that hold the heat shields on the exhaust break.

The small hose that drains from the inlet manifold (im thinking IO540 not sure about O540) Tees up to the mechanical fuel pump. Fuel or oil leaking from up here (not the manifold) indicates a damaged diaphragm in the pump.
fearless_fly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fearless_fly » Wed Apr 3 2013, 08:18

I found a wobbly intake manifold on a R44II. Mounting bolts were tight but tube itself was loose. Problem was a damaged gasket I believe.

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”