NSW Bush Fire Royal Commission

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
godfather007
1st Dan
1st Dan

NSW Bush Fire Royal Commission

Postby godfather007 » Tue Aug 25 2020, 11:38

Early days..
But from what I have heard about the 70 plus findings, some of them include the NSW RFS have been advised to splash water on fires from the air at night and more so during the day, (Dose this mean we may see more FB and HT tail numbers being added/released?) They also have suggested the RFS have a less restricted approach in regards to HR activities plus lots more freedom for land owners to manage/burn vegetation and dead fuel to protect their own land and neighbours assets. This all appears to be Bypassing/dismissing the greenie (Idiots!!) way that has previously been road blocking a land management scheme that changed due to votes and perhaps brought about the ongoing problem.
I do wonder how the Green people sleep knowing how they have changed the landscape of our country with their opinions/votes and rally’s over the last decades? People have died, Wild life burnt, our land has burnt as it has been miss managed, communities wiped out or struggling to exist due to the previous constraints set out by idiots who have no idea how to manage this land we share and live in.
All this has been mentioned before..Sorry!
Interesting times to follow IMO.
Feel free to contribute BS folk.
GF.
UnObvious
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: NSW Bush Fire Royal Commission

Postby UnObvious » Tue Aug 25 2020, 15:34

godfather007 wrote:I do wonder how the Green people sleep knowing how they have changed the landscape of our country with their opinions/votes and rally’s over the last decades?

While I don't agree with everything the Green party has to say, blaming them for this isn't based in truth.

A couple of pages worth checking out:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -reduction

https://factcheck.afp.com/australian-bu ... ackburning

https://www.facebook.com/Australian.Gre ... 8112687123
godfather007
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Aug 25 2020, 20:45

Yeah.
I’m not able to open two of the three links, but I get your drift.
I don’t like getting into politics.
I will give the Green Party credit for some of the work they do. But as you can see, I don’t support all their views.
One of my issues is I live in an area surrounded by Bush land that in the past was not allowed to be managed by controlled fire. It was spared from an inferno early this year due the hard work put in by the RFS Ground crews, water bombers and Some luck with wind changes.
Now In a back flip on local council policy’s I can pile burn on my land again for the first time in 5 years and I will be doing so.
Our local RFS crews have been very concerned for years about the amount of fuel and having their hands tied by the council stopping them conducting HR activities.
This may all change now.
Cheers!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Aug 26 2020, 02:13

I’m no fan of the “Greens”, but am a fan of facts.
The Greens party has very limited influence. Thanks to democracy: they don’t get many votes.

The Labor party, and society generally, are trending more “environmental”, this can be reflected in greater difficulty in getting permission to clear land, or conduct hazard burning.

Anecdotally the biggest impediment to hazard reduction burning is the modern paradigm of “unless you can guarantee 100% safety, I can’t issue the permit”. (Even harder to find suitable conditions during the hot dry weather that has dominated the last few seasons.)

Largely gone are the days when the neighbour would “pitch in” to control a hazard reduction burn getting away. Then help repair the fences burned, without involving solicitors.

Local council officers: If the answer to any request is “no”, their work is finished. Answering “yes”, or “maybe” leads to more work, and the potential for blame if it goes wrong.

The only good news is likely it will be decided we need more fire fighting assets.
godfather007
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby godfather007 » Wed Aug 26 2020, 04:40

Cheers Mr Pig!
Nice input, Thanks!
I always go in for the kill, Political crap annoys me, but am also happy to be educated.
I understand the greens have f/all power but they donate their votes to labour and then press the buttons that way. Hence my problem with my local council who have been Tree huggers in recent years blocking infrastructure advances, development and proper land management to mention a few.
I have contacted the RFS today and will be submitting for my pile burns based on the local council guidelines that have been recently changed...
Out of Fire season pile burns need no permit now, just a simple Online form to fill out as a notification. :idea:
As for the other changes to come, I’m sitting back and waiting to see how that unfolds. pop;
GF.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Aug 26 2020, 05:11

Godfather “Bond”
Good to get some direct input from those actually involved.
And some common sense - Pile burns out of season: no permit, just notification.

Most of us remember seeing the guy on TV that had been fined for removing fuel near his house.
After the fire, his was one of few (only one in the area?) that was still standing. From memory he said something like “the fine was worth it!”
Agrimuster1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Agrimuster1 » Wed Aug 26 2020, 13:13

The country will burn no matter what. Either we "let/help" it burn or it burns on natures terms. The problem is humans in paperwork castles trying to exert their exceptional influence.
godfather007
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Aug 27 2020, 10:04

Yeah.
Paper trails/road blocks and natural disasters are part of living in AUS.
My thoughts go out to those who have passed, those who have lost family, friends and property from Bush fires.
One of the best things I have been able to do in a helicopter is dropping water on fires to assist in saving lives and property. And I know there are plenty of others who have done the same and better!
Feel free to share your stories. Most people do not understand what we do and the risk we take to protect those below.
zipp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zipp » Thu Aug 27 2020, 11:36

It’s The Bushfire inquiry and not the Royal Commission. That is still to come!!!! pop;

It’s not about doing the right thing by the community or the bush! It’s about getting votes. John Barilaro is evident of that. His recent rant just pointed the finger at one of his own departments who are just implementing his gov policies! But hell anything for a vote! No wonder his business went broke! Clowns!!!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Nov 6 2020, 21:33

Interesting partnerships forming. Coulson are certainty throwing everything at the fire so to speak.

https://fireaviation.com/2020/11/06/coulson-partners-with-linfox-to-form-consortium-for-fighting-bushfires/
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”