Helicopter Dressage

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Helicopter Dressage

Postby missg » Wed May 14 2008, 03:34

Hello again,

As part of the Chopper Challenge Gary has created a Helicopter Dressage could you have a look the link and tell me what you think, If possible try the Manoeuvres - would be great to get lots of feedback

http://www.chopperchallenge.com.au/dressage.asp

look forward to hearing from you 8)
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Helicopter Dressage

Postby mdav » Wed May 14 2008, 05:06

Hey who choose the music to the dressage video, i felt like i was in a 1980's naughty movie. Nicely executed though.
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby missg » Wed May 14 2008, 05:34

besides the music hehehe and no I didn't choose it, do you think pilots and spectators would be interested
Izzy Fullashat
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Izzy Fullashat » Wed May 14 2008, 06:09

Missg

I will probably cop a pizzeling for this but, what a load of crud, who would honestly sit there and watch that for several hours? you have to be kidding. OK let me have it, I have broad shoulders and its just my opinion.

Izzy(I must be)

PS "crud" another word for c%$p, s#$t, rubbish or garbage.
OHH!!! CRAP I still cant come up with a catchy saying!!!!!!!
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby missg » Wed May 14 2008, 07:43

thank you for your honest opinion, it wouldn't be several hours more like about 10mins per person perhaps an hours worth? so are you going tor try it? :twisted:
dragonfly
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby dragonfly » Wed May 14 2008, 22:44

I am with you IF, stopped it as soon as I realised what was going :roll:
Izzy Fullashat
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Izzy Fullashat » Thu May 15 2008, 00:44

Missg

:roll: :roll: :shock As you can see I have a hard enough time trying to get smilies to work, let alone the new olympic sport of horse ohh I mean helicopter dressage. Im surprised I haven't copped it yet, that might just prove that a few think its a bit of a toss.

Izzy(maybe Im not)

PS Somebody help me with getting smilies from right to left. Thanks "IM A LITTLE SLOW"
OHH!!! CRAP I still cant come up with a catchy saying!!!!!!!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu May 15 2008, 01:03

I have to agree with izzy with this one, what a cupcake
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu May 15 2008, 01:50

Whatever floats ya boat.

Can't see the point myself........................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Thu May 15 2008, 03:10

Oc:=
Looked rather poor myself...agree with havick...what a :roll: cupcake..
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu May 15 2008, 04:07

I cant really see the "best helicopters pilots in Australia" doing it........I wont be there :D
I would like to watch if there was a 20kt wind though.....make for interesting viewing and the potential for a great youtube video
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Thu May 15 2008, 04:33

There used to be guy who painted his R22 Helo like Snoopy the dog and did a routine at airshows many years ago..that was rather neat, but see no viewer value in Helicopter Dressage.............
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu May 15 2008, 05:39

I agree with NZHelo, a 20 kt wind would make it interesting.
I have a question though MissG, who is the dressage aimed at?
Is it commercial pilots who should have this skill anyway?
Is it private pilots that also should have the skill, but might not get enough practice and need an excuse to do it better?
Is it students that are still learning how to do it in the first place?

I remember doing manuevres like this when training, and there are days I'd love to have the money to go and play and polish the skills, but I don't think it would make a sport. I try to practice every time I pick it up.

Is the hardest work for the judges?

I always remember the comments at the school about the best air shows are those that contain helicopter student pilots trying to hover... :lol:
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby missg » Fri May 16 2008, 01:17

If the wind is bad then there is no way anyone would be doing it

Helicopter Dressage was designed to be part of the Chopper Challenge which as you know is a charity involving Australias sick kids and helicopters

one of the challenges as such is the dressage where we are hoping for helicopter pilots (whoever would like to enter), to compete against each other to see who is best at executing the various manuevres and win the trophy. The reason for these manuevres is as you said you have all done them as part of your training but I'm sure alot would be out of practice and find it a bit of a test to complete over that 50 mt line

When we had a couple of trials one of which we did have a judge and yes it does look hard to judge, but we will be having 3 next time

I understand there are a lot of you that don't like it thats cool, we had 6 at a trial of it and they did enjoy it (well seemed to :)), so I hope some more will try it

If you want to have a look or try it and have the time, let me know I'm in the process of putting together a non chopper challenge 1 just as a gathering
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Fri May 16 2008, 03:10

missg:

You supply the Heli and i will be there to show my style and flare.... 8)
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Fri May 16 2008, 03:11

Hey Missg.

Well my thoughts would be, i think would be good fun to compete in it but to watch it would be a tad boring after the first few go though it, Have you seen what they do OS in helicopter competition putting a line with a weight on it through holes and targets on the ground, that might be more fun plus it uses team work pilot and spotter rather then just the pilot.
BozoThePilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BozoThePilot » Fri May 16 2008, 04:59

Missg, I think the overall cause is commendable.
The dressage as part of a challenge run to the Rock or some other place, it would be something a few pilots would probably do for a bit of fun. I am sure a few egos let loose would make it entertaining, although a few I guess would not want to enter in case a fool is made!

As a spectator exercise, mmm, I don’t think it would attract the people especially down at ground level, because the spectators can’t really 'see' the skill involved in doing the routines.Add some wind will help of course.
Maybe suggest speeding the whole thing up. ie. Ag Turns, Gate flying, etc. But then you get into insurance issues I suppose.

Good luck!
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby missg » Fri May 16 2008, 06:34

I agree it's not that spectator friendly - its more to for the pilots themselves and as you say their egos

however the Apocalypse is awesome if only I could load it on youtube but the file is way to big as soon as I can I will let you know because the one at the rock just gives goose bumps and that is definately spectator friendly

thanks again for the feedbacks
missg
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby missg » Fri May 16 2008, 06:37

droptmcguts - so If you come over to SA in September, dates to be confirmed I'll see if I can find you a helicopter
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Fri May 16 2008, 09:31

missg: :D

Sounds like we have a date!! :D :D :D

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”