New ASIC requirements

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

New ASIC requirements

Postby hand in pants » Thu Jul 27 2017, 07:15

I see some brain dead moron has changed the requirement to renew your ASIC. Now you have to do it face to face with somebody. No more just sending in the photos and forms for a card that is all but useless. And I bet it'll cost more as well.

Congratulations once again caa. Good job of screwing the industry into the ground.

Bloody fools.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: New ASIC requirements

Postby rotors99 » Thu Jul 27 2017, 08:06

Sheet really??? Must be a brand new requirement as I renewed mine just 2 weeks ago & was able to do it all from overseas via email but needed to go to the Ozztrailerian embassy for authentication of my Drivers License & Passport Oc:= was ready 1 week later & couriered out **^** **^**
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Thu Jul 27 2017, 08:09

This is BS level 12 (out of 10). AHIA must represent us to stop this madness. (Starts 1st August).

I have flown in / out of airports in QLD, SA, NSW, VIC and TAS and have never been asked to display my ASIC - and a few MIL as well (I put it on there...they have guns !). (I do have it with me, of course, at all times).

HIP - it's actually even worse "face to face" meeting to apply AND collect !

"NEW FACE TO FACE CARD COLLECTION

You will no longer receive your card by registered post.

You are required to attend a face to face meeting with one of our appointed agents to collect your ASIC. At this meeting you will be required to provide the ORIGINAL identification documents you used for your application eg Birth Certificate, Drivers Licence and Current ASIC.

You will also be required to show the operational need you provided with your application eg. Pilots Licence, letter from your employer etc.

In addition to the above you are required to return your expiring ASIC.

If the above conditions are not met your new ASIC will not be issued to you and you will have to return at a later date when you are able to meet the above requirements. The agent may charge an additional fee for the second appointment."
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Jul 27 2017, 08:48

Sadly this extra step won't make one iota of difference to improve security or safety. It'll just prove to be an extra cost for the industry and not much else.

And unless 'they' have an extremely wide and permanent network of people around the entire country it's going to severely disadvantage and disrupt those in regional and remote areas.

Going further on what arrrj said, after some 15 years in the industry with an ASIC, I can confidently say that I've never once had my ASIC checked. In Canada once I was told by Transport Canada that it was irrelevant and they didn't recognise it!

It does however get you a modest discount on duty free...
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Jul 27 2017, 08:49

Another criminal example of grinding the industry into the ground.
To NOT fix a problem that DOESN'T EXIST :!:

If the brain dead morons who made these rules were in anyway accountable, they would have to point to at least a single instance where an ASIC card (or lack of) had prevented a negative outcome, or ASIC cards should be abolished.
But no! Some office bound puke just decides we need more roadblocks based on their feelings, and a sudden desire to "do something". Oc:=
Redude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Redude » Thu Jul 27 2017, 09:23

Agree ,its just another government scheme to find away to employ people .Why can't they just have a normal Lic same as car with Chip and Photo that can be swiped to see if you have any offences .Geeze i buy something at Woolworths and by the time i get home i have a email from them saying how many points and what items i like and the next specials.Yet if i get a dangerous good lic (Truck) i need more police and security checks some same checks as ASIC another $90.00 to $120.00 dollars.It seems as the whole system are thinking of ways to extort money from us instead of working together to simplify it all .
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Jul 28 2017, 15:07

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/d ... ning-asics

Given the requirement to present in person to apply for and to collect the new ASIC for me personally that will now be a full day of effort instead of an hour at best under the current system.

For those operating in a location like Darwin or Horn Island CASA had want to expedite the processing of a collection agent in that location else the expense for someone to renew an ASIC could potentially cost thousands in airfares and accommodation!

Again, this appears to be an I'll-conceived and pointless change that the broader industry must suffer.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Jul 28 2017, 15:36

To also add to this joke the Chief Pilot or authorised company rep for larger organisations will be doing nothing but typing out letters for their pilots, another waste of companies resources for which they won't get compensated for in lost time to which they could be doing more usefull things like running a business!

It's ok Ferrari you and Mrs F can make an overnight stop when you do your ASIC at least all won't be lost :)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Jul 29 2017, 10:59

This is bloody ridiculous, the muppets at CASA are too divorced from reality to effectively regulate the industry they SERVE, though I guess every single one of them have lost sight of that. AHIA this is your time to shine, lets get this sorted and some sensibility applied. I absolutely understand the need for added security in these times of unrest but FFS if nobody is ever asked to show their ASIC, and I'm not talking about the coffee pedlars at Sydney, Brisbane or Perth for example, then whats the point! You can't even use your ASIC as proof of I.D. to apply for a renewal! Equally any competent 12 year old with a scanner, photoshop and a card printer could come up with a passable fake.

I'm going to stop rambling now, sorry but this kind of moronic thinking makes my blood boil, and still they do nothing about drones....
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Sat Jul 29 2017, 17:57

For me its really simple
I just wont renew it.
I have never been asked for it and when I do display it, it doesn't work or I am told I should not be displaying it and they want to see a drivers licence.
The need is really for RPT and crew. Again we just don't fit the mould for the need.
So if I am stopped and they say where is your ASIC I will say I don't have one but here's my pilots licence. Balls in their court.
Guess I will end up in jail and be sentenced to death!!! I think not. Or thrown out of the airport?? Possibly maybe even told what a very naughty boy I am (used to that)
Just stop playing their silly games by their silly changing unrules. Just wait 12 months and it will change again anyway.

Definitely won't lose sleep over it. Much bigger things to worry about like my next horse ride!!!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Jul 29 2017, 23:47

Slightly off topic, but, I'm thinking of sending caa an invoice for the various things I've had to do over the last couple of years that we supposed to be "at no cost to the industry". You know, time taken to do all the extra training, reading through the quagmire that is part 61, re-writing the ops manual to an expose (utter garbage that one), the constant changes to part 48 and I could go on only I get angry and take it out on Dave.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Izzy Fullashat
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Izzy Fullashat » Sun Jul 30 2017, 09:25

I'm with Mike, I'm not renewing it! It's due in September for me so we will see what happens in October!!! I'm sick of for the little flying I do, whether it is worth it!!!! Maybe I'll pick up more flying :roll:

Izzy (don't care if I am on this 1)!!!!!!!!!
OHH!!! CRAP I still cant come up with a catchy saying!!!!!!!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Jul 30 2017, 09:35

Nice if you can afford the fine. I can't.....
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Sun Jul 30 2017, 09:36

Mike Becker wrote:For me its really simple
I just wont renew it.
I have never been asked for it and when I do display it, it doesn't work or I am told I should not be displaying it and they want to see a drivers licence.
The need is really for RPT and crew. Again we just don't fit the mould for the need.
So if I am stopped and they say where is your ASIC I will say I don't have one but here's my pilots licence. Balls in their court.
Guess I will end up in jail and be sentenced to death!!! I think not. Or thrown out of the airport?? Possibly maybe even told what a very naughty boy I am (used to that)
Just stop playing their silly games by their silly changing unrules. Just wait 12 months and it will change again anyway.

Definitely won't lose sleep over it. Much bigger things to worry about like my next horse ride!!!

Easy to say when one owns a sizeable helicopter company.
So, Anyone applying for a job a Beckers.....No ASIC required
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Mon Jul 31 2017, 03:47

Ha ha
Ok. Fair enough.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Jul 31 2017, 20:52

I see in this mornings fin review that the former head of security at Sydney airport and now consultant is suggesting photoID before we board a flight and replacing private contractors with government security forces.

You would think that a drivers licence or Passport on check-in would be sufficient enough!,next we will have a "Terror Tax" to pay for all of this stuff.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
kiwisteve
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby kiwisteve » Sat Aug 5 2017, 06:24

As Im not an Aussie I cant fulfil Cat A of the new ASIC renewal system. So no new ASIC for me
Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kwyjibo » Sat Aug 5 2017, 07:26

This new requirements is actually in line with CASA's mission statement..... "If it isn't broken, fix it, until it is"...
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Aug 5 2017, 09:52

Kwyjibo wrote:This new requirements is actually in line with CASA's mission statement..... "If it isn't broken, fix it, until it is"...

I thought it was - "We're not happy until you're not happy".
"Plan twice...Fly once"
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Wed Aug 9 2017, 01:15

In 5 yrs of renewing, renewing, going through the same ol hoops, never ever been asked to show it, i've just cut my about to expire card and sent it back. It's brain dead crazy.
How about.......when you get your pilots license, a vigoris security check is part of the issuing, then i know my fellow users on the aprons are all security checked. :roll:
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”