US Diversity Visa aka Green Card Lottery

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

US Diversity Visa aka Green Card Lottery

Postby Little Bird » Fri Oct 25 2019, 23:51

Well, the DV lottery is available for at least another year and if you’re keen there’s only 10 more days to get in an application.
https://dvlottery.state.gov/
Entry is free (use above link and don’t fall for paid scam sites)
There’s waay too many jobs for us all to do so share the wealth right?
Failing a successful application, there’s always 90 day fiancé...
Good luck!
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: US Diversity Visa aka Green Card Lottery

Postby rex bivouac » Sat Oct 26 2019, 00:33

Good luck.

Ive had 7 entries.....
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Sun Oct 27 2019, 04:50

I have entered every year for the past 8 years i think. No luck yet

Yet 4 mates have all got it.... Whats worse it none of them ever followed through with it... So so rude.

Good luck this year, lets try to take over the place!
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Sun Oct 27 2019, 06:25

I’ve applied here’s hoping it goes my way....

It was surprisingly easy... and ^^^@Little Bird is right .... 90 day fiancé is a good backup plan.

Good luck to all

IF
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sun Oct 27 2019, 06:45

jimiemick wrote:I have entered every year for the past 8 years i think. No luck yet

Yet 4 mates have all got it.... Whats worse it none of them ever followed through with it... So so rude.

Very selfish as they take the spots for the rest in the country of chargeability. I have heard of illegals applying then too scared to travel offshore to do the paperwork (ie no track record outside US), wasting it same way for those in pool of same country applicants.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Sun Oct 27 2019, 09:41

ChicoCheco wrote:
jimiemick wrote:I have entered every year for the past 8 years i think. No luck yet

Very selfish as they take the spots for the rest in the country of chargeability. I have heard of illegals applying then too scared to travel offshore to do the paperwork (ie no track record outside US), wasting it same way for those in pool of same country applicants.

Tell me about it. I couldn’t believe it when they said ohhh we got it but won’t be doing it...... which annoys me. I have a job I can take. But he can’t sponsor me.
So unless my Mrs has a USA passport she doesn’t tell me about or I win the lotto. I’m out of luck for the moment.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Sun Oct 27 2019, 20:24

ChicoCheco wrote:

The quota each year is set at 55,000 visas, but the system accepts 100,000 knowing that only roughly half will accept or meet the eligibility criteria. So yes, while it’s annoying that someone doesn’t take the offer, the total 55,000 will still be accepted each year and so it’s not a placement unused or thrown away.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Oct 28 2019, 12:20

I’ll marry ya... if you’re a hot Australian chick...

Problem solved.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Oct 28 2019, 20:28

E2 visa is the quickest and easilst US visa to get. Processing times are normally less than 3 months (sometimes weeks) and you have no issues with having to stay in the US for long periods of time.

You have to set up a company yet your in control of your funds not like EB5 investor visa which is currently running at a 3~4 yr back log and is currently @ 500k and will be going up to 900k shortly.

100k is the norm for E2 investment yet some get in with as little as 25k. You have to also be a citizen of one of the treaty countries of which Australia is one of them.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Tue Oct 29 2019, 00:39

If you're Aussie why not have a crack at the E3 visa?

https://www.h1base.com/content/e3visa
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Oct 29 2019, 01:23

Bedouin Prince wrote:If you're Aussie why not have a crack at the E3 visa?

https://www.h1base.com/content/e3visa

If you have an FAA license with 212 or 412 time and/or an FAA S70 type on your FAA license with 50 hours PIC and some fire experience it’s fairly easy to get an E3 visa.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Tue Oct 29 2019, 02:04

Yankee wrote:I’ll marry ya... if you’re a hot Australian chick...

Problem solved.

nothing a wig and a drunken night between friends cant fix :D

I looked at getting a Visa a while ago but honestly got abit overwhelemed with how it all works, and could not find an imigration lawyer that was not full of s#!t or who know about the aviation industry,
I am only a very low hr pilot but was happy to invest in converting my CASA to a FAA license, but Mrs would only agree if we knew it was going to work (or atleast have a high chance of getting me/her a visa)
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Oct 29 2019, 02:08

jimiemick wrote:

Problem solved.

I looked at getting a Visa a while ago but honestly got abit overwhelemed with how it all works, and could not find an imigration lawyer that was not full of s#!t or who know about the aviation industry,
I am only a very low hr pilot but was happy to invest in converting my CASA to a FAA license, but Mrs would only agree if we knew it was going to work (or atleast have a high chance of getting me/her a visa)

It’s one of those chicken/egg scenarios. Without an FAA license no operator in the USA will bother to speak to you. You also need hours to meet contracts that they can’t find guys locally for also.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Tue Oct 29 2019, 03:17

havick wrote:
jimiemick wrote:

Problem solved.

It’s one of those chicken/egg scenarios. Without an FAA license no operator in the USA will bother to speak to you. You also need hours to meet contracts that they can’t find guys locally for also.

Dam Chickens and Eggs.

I am still looking to do my FAA Conversion, just clearing up some stuff locally and at home.
Also hoping the AUD/USD doesnt get any worse for me
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Tue Oct 29 2019, 11:08

Wheatbix

Did you research the GC lottery much?
Know about the country quotas vs how low the case number is?
Those taking spaces with low case numbers "help" others lose out.

They may select heaps more but thanks to some primary applicants having multiple dependants, THAT eats into the 50+5k numbers. 100k number is irrelevant. Beyond 15-20k case number it's unlikely to get stuff sorted despite "winning".

Yes. People signing up then not sorting docs to get in/activate and use it, ARE selfish. Period. I don't care if someone from other country with high number gets in before deadline. I care about spots from MY country of eligibility.

Yes. They got right to be time wasters, sadly.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Tue Oct 29 2019, 19:53

GC I'm certainly no expert, my post is just based on what's available to read online however I'm always open to being corrected.

People bringing dependents (on derivative visas) is of no issue and I think only fair based on the underlying premise of the system. The ~100K number each year is adjusted so that the full 55K quota will be met. If everyone who got an invitation from the lottery applied, the 100K number would be reduced in years that followed. Yes, I appreciate that it's annoying if someone had a lower case number but chose not to apply, but I'm not going to get worked up about it as it's just the way the program works.

It's a reality that people will continue to get an offer to apply however not actually do so. If I was dead set on moving to the US, I'd look for options other than the DV lottery as it's exactly that, a lottery.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Wed Oct 30 2019, 00:25

The Lottery used to be exactly that, now they have considerable more criteria for appicants. They changed it so they would actually get applicants with skills not randoms that would bring nothing to the table.

You will find that most of those that indicate they got "picked" yet decided against going forward had issues that would not have let them proceed further down the path. Past issues, not giving 100% correct info, dodgy CV's, the usual stuff that basically dosen't hold up to the serious scrutiny that occurs with US Immigration checks.

As Wheatbix stated there are numerous other ways to get to the US if you are so inclined.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Nov 4 2019, 13:18

Criteria are eligible country, at least high school/secondary education and some bits. Not exactly skilled visa.

Last day-ish before the appl window closed. May as well get to file Melb cup day.
Indeed, other visa options are there but DV lottery is convenient if in luck and done paperwork by deadlines/low case number. One pilot friend had it super low, for example. He doesn't have Aus passport for E3 for example.

Wheatbix, if primary applicant has 4 dependants, that eats into the the 50+5k total numbers. Hence case number importance, say average 1.5 dependant, that's 2.5 person per case number and see how the 50k plus 5k Nacara countries spots fill up.

Theoretically up to 20k case number, assuming numbers above, but read of 15k and below as safe. Few years old numbers. With low case number time wasters, to cut off case # goes up.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Tue Nov 5 2019, 10:35

If anyone is having issues, Use the tool that they have on the site to crop it correctly, then save it, then open the photo back up in paint and resave it (so its around 60kb/70kb) and it should be fine.

mine was coming up with an error saying the site could not be reached.

See how you go, you have about 7hrs to get it done!!!
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Tue Nov 5 2019, 14:14

Sadly getting the same warning,

page can not be found,

Any one found a solution?

Kind regards,

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”