The Beautiful Brantly

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...

Do you think the Brantly is the most beautiful helicopter in the known Universe?

Yes!
31%
No.
69%

Total votes: 52
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Re: The Beautiful Brantly

Postby black duck » Sun Feb 21 2010, 03:37

HA HA I voted yes! I had to it's humping my leg at moment! :D :D :D
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Feb 21 2010, 05:53

Talk about rigged! LOL. 222 votes with 5 against!
I think he went through the local cemetery to find extra names of those that can't vote "No."
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Feb 21 2010, 06:09

Helothere, at least you noted that we have 2240 odd members and remembered to make the 'yes' votes slightly less then that. I still find it 'difficult' (read impossible) to believe that some 97% of 'Slappers' find this abomination 'beautiful' in some respect.

As quoted many times before to describe the sheer ugliness of certain individuals, and somewhat altered to suit the purposes of the situation before us:

It has the looks that only ________ (insert one: a Mother/Helothere/the Original Designer/someone being humped by it/a very drunk person) could love.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Feb 21 2010, 06:41

OK, so you caught me out, I might have cheated a little bit. But look now, even without the cheaty bits, the supporters have it! I knew most of you slappers had taste! Or at least a sense of humour...
555ron
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 555ron » Sun Feb 21 2010, 08:23

I'm waiting for someone to create the 2010 Brantly B-2B calender. I'd order 100 right now, the perfect gift for those who have everything...
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sun Feb 21 2010, 09:02

Brantleys...yeah i know em. i pushed one out just this morning !!

then i flushed it......
Tony Carmody
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Tony Carmody » Sun Feb 21 2010, 10:43

The fun part is that, unlike most others here, I actually survived about 100 hrs flying Brantly's..Tc :)
brantlytc-400x260.jpg
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sun Feb 21 2010, 12:05

You deserve either the DFC or a straight jacket for that Tony!!! :D :D
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Feb 21 2010, 13:07

Straight jacket, TC admits to liking Hiller 12Es :P

Sky "Pass the keys to the AS350" Pig 8) 8)
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Feb 21 2010, 22:28

OMG these things even have their own "fan Club" website!!!! :shock: :shock: :?

posted link just for you Helothere :twisted: :oops: :wink:
http://www.brantly.info/
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Gator
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 21 2010, 23:37

You know, I was actually thinking about upgrading the Rotorway to a Brantly at one stage. Pricewise you can't really do much better than one of these - I have seen good used machines in the US sell for as little as $50k.

If I do end up buying one of these, you're not really all going to laugh at me....are you? :cry:

Gator
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Feb 22 2010, 00:05

OH NO!!! We'd never do that!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Feb 22 2010, 00:20

I don't know a lot (obvious really), but I think that is a very sensible upgrade. :D

Even a certified helicopter like a Brantly won't fly without fuel. As proven in Australia in the later '90s. I wonder if that pilots on the Slapper. I'm guessing he wouldn't put his hand up.

That would make 3 Brantly pilots on here (thankfully TC has 100 times more experience on the B2B than me)
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Feb 22 2010, 00:43

seriously though, as Sky pig said any move away from a Rotorway has got to be a good one, especially if it's a certified machine your upgrading to.I must admit, I really don't know anything about either machine though,I'm only going on what I've read and heard. :D
Gator
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22 2010, 02:30

Sorry to stray off topic, but...

Another machine I am considering is what FF referred to on another thread as "Elton's personal weekend fun machine". These are called a Helicycle and they are an absolute ripper! Although only an experimental heli, these are about as close to certified as experimental helis go. Plus it's got a turbine! :D

I saw these at a heli fly-in I attended last year in the US. These were designed to have the durability and reliability of an R22 but at 20% of the price. So far I believe they are living up to that expectation. (And these turbines have in fact proven to be extremely reliable). Pity it's only a single seater.

Gator
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Feb 22 2010, 02:51

Be very wary of these turbines, I believe it is a Solar T60 series, they were never designed to be used in aircraft and as such were not meant to be subjected to "G" loading.Also they are rated for a set RPM, which in the case of a helicopter doesn't matter that much true. But they were only meant to be used as start engines and stationary engines driving generators ect. To give you some idea, the company that now owns the licence for solar will not provide parts or backup to private owners of second hand units, chiefly because of there use in experimental aircraft.
Last edited by black duck on Mon Feb 22 2010, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Gator
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22 2010, 03:15

Ahhh yes, I know all about the purchase of spare parts for experimental aircraft. Not many people are too keen on supplying parts if they know they are being fitted to a helicopter.

But yes, BD you are quite correct. These turbines are a Solar T62-32A which were cannibalised from old military gensets. These gensets are in fact quite robust because they were required to withstand the forces of being dropped from moving aircraft (at low level no doubt).

Before being supplied for use with the helicycle, I know they are fully overhauled and are specifically modified for this purpose. So far I have not heard of a single failure of these turbines as a direct result of being fitted to either the helicycle or the Rotorway. But like all things aviation, in the hands of someone inexperienced these engines can be deadly.

Gator
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Apr 20 2010, 22:54

A helicopter pilot suffered minor injuries when his chopper flipped over at Ukiah Municipal Airport.

A spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration says the pilot was testing the engine of a Brantly B2 when it flipped shortly after noon Friday.

The name of the pilot was not released, but the FAA says he was the only person on board the two-seat helicopter.

The helicopter was substantially damaged.

FAA officials were on the scene Friday afternoon to investigate.

Read more:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/04/16/state/n160539D84.DTL&type=health
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Apr 21 2010, 02:49

I guess he had not perfected sticking his leg out the door hey? :roll: :lol:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Wed Apr 21 2010, 03:17

What Pegs is refering to, is what is known as the Brantly manouver. It should be mandatory when obtaining a brantly endorsement, had the above mentioned pilot been proficient in this manouver he may well have avoided this accident and another aviation classic saved. So for all those fans and those who have not seen this manouver performed (it really is art!) here it is...again.... enjoy!! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P51PWvTQo

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”