Painted into a corner

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Painted into a corner

Postby BenThomas » Mon Jun 27 2011, 09:54

Ok guys and gals bit of a rant but i need some advice. I am employed with a company and i have a job interview lined up the intetview was a bit short notice(48hours). As soon as i knew about the interview I called my boss and leveled with him and asked for the time off. He said no way im rostered on and there is no cover. This is a common occurance as we are always short staffed. I really want the other job as its has way better opertunities but I cannot change the interview time. I feel like i have cut myself off at the legs and am not sure what to do. The real stupid thing is if i had taken my partners advice and called in sick i wouldnt be in this mess.

Ok rant over. Any one been in this situation before or has any advice it couldnt hurt.

Ben"as dumb as i look" Thomas
ZK-Pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Painted into a corner

Postby ZK-Pilot » Mon Jun 27 2011, 10:08

BenThomas wrote:Ok guys and gals bit of a rant but i need some advice. I am employed with a company and i have a job interview lined up the intetview was a bit short notice(48hours). As soon as i knew about the interview I called my boss and leveled with him and asked for the time off. He said no way im rostered on and there is no cover. This is a common occurance as we are always short staffed. I really want the other job as its has way better opertunities but I cannot change the interview time. I feel like i have cut myself off at the legs and am not sure what to do. The real stupid thing is if i had taken my partners advice and called in sick i wouldnt be in this mess.

Ok rant over. Any one been in this situation before or has any advice it couldnt hurt.

I would call the new company and explain the situation with a view to changing the time, otherwise you may end up with no job at all if it doesn't work out :(
Good luck either way, it's a tough one :D

PS: Another part of me says if you are sure you will get the new one.... Go for it.

Cheers
ZK-Pilot
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Mon Jun 27 2011, 10:47

If your current place is always short staffed, can you negotiate anything with the boss if you change your mind and hang around? If you stay, "what's in it for you?"

Also if the place is always short staffed is there work for others, or are people jumping ship for a reason?
Lots of questions here, sorry.

Don't forget it's easier to sleep when you are being honest and up front. I hope you current boss appreciates your integrity.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Mon Jun 27 2011, 10:48

I reckon that the bloke you're working for is a downright sad one. Everyone, no matter what walk of life always helps promote people up the ladder, it pays as a good investment. Maybe you could talk to some of the experienced guys on here by PM and ask them to help you make representation to the prospective empolyer on your behalf to defer your interview. That's what mates are for,especially this industry which is supposed to help those trying to climb up a bit.

Good luck RD

RED EYE

Postby RED EYE » Mon Jun 27 2011, 10:53

BenThomas wrote:Ok guys and gals bit of a rant but i need some advice. I am employed with a company and i have a job interview lined up the intetview was a bit short notice(48hours). As soon as i knew about the interview I called my boss and leveled with him and asked for the time off. He said no way im rostered on and there is no cover. This is a common occurance as we are always short staffed. I really want the other job as its has way better opertunities but I cannot change the interview time. I feel like i have cut myself off at the legs and am not sure what to do. The real stupid thing is if i had taken my partners advice and called in sick i wouldnt be in this mess.

I agree, you need to call the cheif pilot of the new job and explain your situation. He will respect your honesty and being up front if he is half decent. It shows you are loyal. Also if you need a reference from your old employer in future it wont be a good look to say your sick and he finds out later you were at an interveiw. Good luck........
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Mon Jun 27 2011, 11:13

Ben, it's a no-brainer:

Yes, ring your prospective boss. But simply tell him you are very sorry but you won't be able to make the interview after all, because you have an unbreakable professional commitment to your current boss. Explain that it was your keenness for the potential job that led to the premature interview arrangement without you clearing the time at your end first. Apologise again for messing him about, assure him of your keenness to have a crack at any future such opportunity, and then hang up.

The last bloke he's going to employ is the guy that dumps his (current) boss in the poo. You will end with two industry employers marking you down as an buggerising opportunist for good, instead of two who'll each regard you favorably.

If there's a solution to be worked out re: this interview, the two bosses will figure it out on the blower themselves. But only if you appear to be copping it sweet first.

Small industry Ben. Short term pain, long term gain. Like buses, opportunities keep coming for those can wait.

My two bobs anyway. Good luck.
¡Librame!
Bladerunner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bladerunner » Mon Jun 27 2011, 11:34

Ben,

Whilst I am new to the heli industry, your situation is applicable anywhere.

Honesty is the best policy, but it also seems to me your current firm will always be short staffed and this situation will probably occurr again the next time.

So you may need to draw a line in the sand sometime.

I would do as Papillions suggests, but try to organise another time. If the prospective employer is really keen, he will find another time,
if he can't and is now prepared to let the interview go, you would have to wonder why.

All the best

Bladerunner
Last edited by Bladerunner on Mon Jun 27 2011, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
The world needs to HATFU !
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Jun 27 2011, 11:43

If they're at all serious about hiring you, they'll move the interview.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Jun 27 2011, 21:07

Morning Ben,
agree with the others above, however as an alternative, have you considered asking if the future employer would consider a phone interview or Skype interview in lieu of a face to face, that way you can still be at work and if you seem to be the candidate in the final running then another interview face to face can be arranged at a more convenient time. Your current boss should not have a problem with say 20 mins in your lunch break for an interview over the phone/skype?
cheers
Pegs
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
torqueguage
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby torqueguage » Mon Jun 27 2011, 21:33

Hi Ben,
I'd definitely take Papillions advice, pretty much nailed it. Also as Peg said, try call during a quiet time throughout the day, or even still, suggest to meet up for a beer after work (if he/she drinks beer). On the other hand if the current employer and prospective employer are reading this forum then I guess they'll both work it out. **^**
StickyDingo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby StickyDingo » Mon Jun 27 2011, 21:50

Ten minutes before the scheduled interview time.....hit the fire alarm. :D
fullysikwog
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fullysikwog » Tue Jun 28 2011, 06:27

StickyDingo wrote:Ten minutes before the scheduled interview time.....hit the fire alarm. :D

An interesting idea, but it may result in not getting a job because of a false alarm.
All the reply posts sound pretty good advice. good luck.
Next to being witty, the best thing is being able to quote another's wit.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Tue Jun 28 2011, 07:02

Just out of curiosity BT. How long have you been working for your current employer?
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Tue Jun 28 2011, 10:43

ok first wow lots of advice you have all been a great help. It has now solved and after a man to man chat with the boss o can go to the interview. im posting on a phone so i will keep this breif and try to awmser all the questioms. no i didntpull the fire alarm but great joke mate i needed a good laugh. thanks to all who offered advice what i took from it all was to keep the lines of comunication civil. I have been at this company just shy of two years.

Thanks all i will let you know how it goes
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jun 29 2011, 00:15

glad it worked out Ben, good luck with the interview. :cool_dc:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”