CPL law exam helicopters

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
realta100

CPL law exam helicopters

Postby realta100 » Tue Aug 2 2011, 08:58

Hi Slappers
Looking for some help
Have now had a couple of goes at the CPL law exam with no joy.
Typical CASA exams wording seems to be a problem as I feel I know the subject
CAN ANY ONE HELP or study suggestions would be great as it is now my last exam????
Billy Hill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: CPL law exam helicopters

Postby Billy Hill » Tue Aug 2 2011, 09:46

What study material are you using?
Are you studying at home or classroom?
What other subjects have you done and how did you go with them?

I did Heli air law in June, home studied through AFT. If you post some more info we may be able to help.

PM me if you like.

Cheers

BH

Edit- Just read your post properly and see that this is your last one :?
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Tue Aug 2 2011, 22:16

I highly recommend doing a good ground school in your area. Where abouts in Oz are you?

If it wasn't for the ground school I did, I wouldn't have achieved the score I got.

With the wording, read the question carefully, there's a big difference between "should" "may" and "must" in the questions.

Good luck with the next attempt.
TwatintheHat
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TwatintheHat » Wed Aug 3 2011, 01:31

Mate, I did it a few weeks back. My home study was AFT which is primarily the Bob Tait CPL Air Law book plus some example questions. I bought the AIP book and CAO's plus printed out and got the CAR's ring bound. Half the battle is using the practise exams to know where to find info in those books. But you'll find that after using all the practise exams in the Bob Tait book plus other practise exams you'll recognise (say) 50% of the questions in the exam straight away and will be able to go straight to the correct multiple choice answer.

I got 93% first time, so can't complain about the Bob Tait content.... If money is an issue i'd say with a thorough read through Bob Tait's CPL Airlaw book and detailed attention to all the example questions you should be able to get through just by buying his book. The sample questions will direct you to specific sections of the CAO's CAR's and AIP book. Then devote some time to actually concentrating, reading and understanding the parts of these books the questions point you too, plsu peripheral subject matter.

I think understanding all aspects of VMC and alternate weather minima were a bit confusing but I had a thorough grasp of that by the end of my studies (ironically I failed to recognise when I should've used that knowledge in the exam and that was one of my three failed questions).

Understand what VMC minima apply for different class air spaces... Particularly Class G which means you can use helicopter VMC when landing at uncontrolled aerodromes.
Make sure you understand the difference in minima for helicopter VMC in Class G and Special VFR too. Also make sure you understand that VMC minina are different than alternate aerodrome weather minima and also that fixed wing alternate weather minima are different from helicopter alternate weather minima.

I also made sure I fully understood the rules about helicopter flight over water. It has a couple of different aspects in regard to whether you are private, charter with cargo or charter with passengers. The requirements for floats, ELT and life raft are quite hard to follow in the CAO's and CAR's but if you make sure you read and understand all area's pertaining to this aspect of flight over water you'll kill any questions in the exam on this.

One other question I got wrong was a question on damage and defect reporting. I'm still not quite sure on the answer to this... I thnk the question was something like "the altimeter in the helicopter has failed, what shoudl you do?" Options were something like "put a note on the maintainance release restrciting the use of the helicopter OR submit a defect report etc etc". My KDR's only suggested studying on the requirements relating to "defect reports" so I assume the correct answer may have been that the PIC should have submitted a defect report grounding the helicopter ??? I'm still not sure on this one so maybe someone else out there has the right answer. I read the CAR's in relation to defect reports.. there were at least a couple of different areas on this... People who can submit a defect report and responsibility of the pic to ensure no defect report is in place before using the aircraft.

If it sounds confusing the way i've written it here... there's only one answer to that... Get all the required material in front of you and start reading. It took me a week of study.. and that was just about full time each day (say about 6 hours per day). So maybe take a week off work and go to your local library to get yourself a nice quiet space where you can read and concentrate. There are plenty of "eureka" moments when you're studying and finally put the last piece of the puzzle in place for different aspects of air law and it can be quite satisfying. Unfortunately there's a lot to know but remember when you're in the exam, provided you have all the referance material allowed available to you, you don't have to know all the answers... just where to look.

Hope some of this helps.
All the best
jetty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jetty » Wed Aug 3 2011, 02:41

Always answer the questions you know for sure what the answer is. It takes some of the pressure off and gets the brain going. Your confidence will also get a boost to answer the rest.
Dont question, just accept, it's easier
The harder you work at it the harder it is to give up.
If it is to be it is up to me.
You attract what you are.
To question is to grow.
If you create a shadow, look at yourself.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”