R22 Overhaul Cost

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
NzPilot

R22 Overhaul Cost

Postby NzPilot » Sat Oct 1 2011, 13:07

G'day just wondering what the over haul cost is for the R22
if anyone knows the cost that would be great just overall figure not a whole list
of component times and costs etc

cheers nzpilot
millotte
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: R22 Overhaul Cost

Postby millotte » Sat Oct 1 2011, 22:39

Hi nzpilot,

The Robinson helicopter website has some info that might be helpful to you. They give you a breakdown on hourly maintenance costs etc also. (supposed costs!)
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sun Oct 2 2011, 02:03

[quote="NzPilot"]G'day just wondering what the over haul cost is for the R22
if anyone knows the cost that would be great just overall figure not a whole list

cheers nzpilot[/quote
You mean you really wan't to rebuild one????? :?
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
NzPilot

Postby NzPilot » Sun Oct 2 2011, 04:42

black duck wrote:
NzPilot wrote:G'day just wondering what the over haul cost is for the R22

cheers nzpilot[/quote
You mean you really wan't to rebuild one????? :?

why are you against it or something ?? great little machines
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sun Oct 2 2011, 06:03

Just mucking around, not my personal preference in machine. Give N.A.H a try,they have rebuilt a few, so they'd be able to give you a realistic run down on the costs involved. opsnah@bigpond.com
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Sun Oct 2 2011, 09:33

I've never had to pay for one, but I believe it's something around the $140k mark. That's with an O/H'd engine, the Robinson 2200hrly kit and 200hrs of labour. That should do until someone comes up with a more substantiated figure.
ianski
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ianski » Mon Oct 3 2011, 00:37

Between $100k to $120k depending on other component times and the condition of everything being replaced. Your LAME will send off a bunch of parts to Robinson and if the parts are in good nick they'll refund you some credits, up to $20k or so I think it is. So a well taken care of 22 might set you back only $90k. A s#!t one could be $120k or $130k. This is all in AUD. With the exchange rates between Aus and US being a bit shakey these days things might be slightly more expensive again.. the kits are ordered direct from the US and paid for in USD.

I'm completely unfamiliar with NZ overhauls or their exchange rate unfortunately.
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: R22 Overhaul Cost = Danger

Postby rotors99 » Mon Oct 3 2011, 01:19

The real cost of running Robinsons is MUCH higher with premature blade failures & other serious issues. But the greatest cost is You would be flying the most dangerous machine on the planet that has killed more Pilots than any other machine.

I have had 2 friends killed in Robinson products, & another 1 near catastrophe from an in-flight blade delamination. I have 2 good engineer friends who have both expressed their concern to the way this product is made; its made to a price, cheep, very cheep & nasty. I have seen a blade with some delamination fresh from the box - NEVER FLOWN yet!!!

Are they safe? Look at the world wide safety record....they kill more Pilots than any other machine. Crash one & You will be lucky to walk away, if the fire does not get to You first. RIP

It seems most Robbie Lovers or rather worshipers are very narky about any negative words being uttered about their beloved Robbo, hey some hate Holden's (Holes Oil Leaks Dents & Engine Knocks) others love Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily, Found On Rubbish Dump) it seems OK to have a favorite model, or a dislike, you can knock another brand - But not a Robbie. Opinions are like A-holes (everyone's got one) with bikes, cars & about helicopters....... well except with Robbi's its like.... 'oh God don't mention the war, or Hitler' or..........or You'll burn in hell with the Robbi POH as the Prayer Operations Handyguidebook to send You cussed & damned to the fires of those big gas ovens for yer utterances.

I fly 'em too, but only when I have to, sure they are crisp & precise to fly (well don't mention the cyclic shhhhiiiittttt its like the war, mums the word) but given unlimited choice; NEVER would I fly the paper & cardboard egg cup.

Happy Landings
Min Min
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Min Min » Mon Oct 3 2011, 09:41

Obviously the Robbie has its share of problems, I wonder how the numbers shape up verses the other common types when you calculate them out to accidents per 100,000 flying hours. I have an idea the Robbie dosen't look too bad. Just thinking of the Control Reversal problems on the much loved Jetty and the mast bumping as well, how many did the Jetty kill untill they woke up to that. Also the LTE problems until the larger T/R. I am told the Hughes 269 accounted for quite a few fellow pilots until the upper cabin strut was put into action, I understand LTE was a big problem with them too in the early models. MAVERICK we need you back. Unless I am not reading the posts properly the S92 is putting a few numbers on the board too.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Oct 3 2011, 09:55

Min min you are right one the money, The second last crash comic detailed a report done by CASA into the Robinson Helicopter and came up with that it was no worse and in fact per hrs flown per machines in the air it actually had a better record than people think. That doesn't excuse the blade issues, or the fold up cup syndrome they have, but on a par they are as a good as the next one, and usually only as good as the bloke flying it, and the bloke maintaining it.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
CaptSpry
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CaptSpry » Mon Oct 3 2011, 10:24

Pegs and Min Min you are both correct. Due to the business I was doing at the time and since, I have tracked the Robinson products since 1982 when the factory introduced the Robinson Safety Course and associated manuals, etc. This was to overcome a training problem.

They do fly enormous number of hours, and of course many will crash as the annual rates are very predictable. But overall, they have fewer problems than the generation before. Most accidents are caused by the nut behind the wheel and the difficult environment the pilots (often just out of school) find themselves with little supervision or peer support.

But we are much safer today than our instructors were when they hit the road to the bush!

But we are not alone, the military also has had a learning curve over the decades, and their accident rate per 100,000 hours is now very low (even with NVG) than it was three decades ago.

Rotors99 you are to be commended for bringing up this topic, somewhat tongue in cheek. I do not drive a Holden of Ford – so what can you say about Nissan?

A word of caution for researchers – insurance statistics are usually different to those produced by the ATSB. I am sure you know why ………. Forgetfulness????

If you need specific data I am only too willing to share.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”