New Zealand Agriculture Instructors

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
NzPilot

New Zealand Agriculture Instructors

Postby NzPilot » Tue Nov 15 2011, 12:34

Yes Hello just wondering if
anyone would know of any good ag
instructors located around the different
areas, Good ones / Bad Ones any mentions would be
of much help

Cheers Jono 8)
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: New Zealand Agriculture Instructors

Postby AgRattler » Tue Nov 15 2011, 22:09

Rick Graham and Geoff Kitto are prob the main guys that are doing them at the moment . Send me a PM if you want some more info.
Redlining in neutral
Ringo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ringo » Wed Nov 16 2011, 02:18

Paul Greene in the BOP/Rotorua is worth a look. Has a Hughes300 so I imagine a pretty good rate as well.

http://www.greeneairhelicopters.co.nz
info@greeneairhelicopters.co.nz
as350_nut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby as350_nut » Wed Nov 16 2011, 02:55

Larry Bennett up at North Shore Helicopters, not sure if he is still doing them but definitely worth the phone call.
nzrotors
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nzrotors » Wed Nov 16 2011, 06:35

Rick Graham , Shoreline Helicopters

hawksbay area

bloody good instructor and bloke
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Wed Nov 16 2011, 07:48

This was meant to be a reply and posted on behalf of aldee on 16 Nov 2011, 10:08

Theres an ag training organization setting up at Rangiora, hangers built already , been told fixed & rotary Can make some enquiries if need be "Way to go" heliservices on the field as well
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Wed Nov 16 2011, 08:01

Dont think they doing flying training at the new Ag place at Rang -goon . Isnt it just a training centre ie ; chem rating course's , pattern testing guy based there ??
Redlining in neutral
nzrotors
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nzrotors » Wed Nov 16 2011, 09:17

thats my understanding as well rattler
R22Million
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby R22Million » Fri Nov 18 2011, 02:53

If you want to be in the Central North Island... then

Phil Janssen . helihuntnfish.co.nz has recently gained his E Cat. And is worth considering.

In my opinion (and opinion's vary...) Phil Janssen has been around for a fairly long time.. and is still out there today working on a lot of Ag and a bit of Venison Recovery.. both of which are very demanding flying and even more demanding on the pilot to be productive and make money. From what little i really know of his operation I think you'll find he will give you good value for money. If your up to it and condition's are good you'll be out there training 3-5 hours a day. He will open your eye's on Ag work and show you how to be productive. The down side? He is Rough.

I've trained with Rick Graham. Top Man. He has been training young Ag pilots longer than most. He has been flying his trusty 300's since Jesus was a Cowboy. He will train you to fly safe. He will teach you how to survive in a fairly lethal occupation. (don't forget that fuc%en WIRE) The down side? Your training may take longer than you expect, as when i was there he was overloaded with students.

Be prepared to take a year (or 2) slowly get introduced to Ag work.. you'll start on the easier jobs and once you have inspired some level of trust your reins will slowly be loosened..

Best of luck to you.

My best advice would be to take the Instructors names that have been mentioned and go and have a chat with them in person. You should get a feel for what you want over a cup of tea and yarn

(I've edited my post as I think I said a bit too much, which may not be totally accurate. In regards to flying productively... The first and only Rule is "Don't break anything" ..(from your head to the heli, to the ground pump and hose's)
Last edited by R22Million on Fri Nov 18 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Fri Nov 18 2011, 06:14

Rick is still doing the odd bit of spraying here and there not completely given up ! As for your Ag rating taking many months that is not the case , you can pin him down!!
Phil is a hard thing be good times doing it with him , but yes your right he is rough..... :roll:
Redlining in neutral
nzrotors
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nzrotors » Fri Nov 18 2011, 06:44

Rick did mine in 3 weeks or so, although it was a while a few years back, as far as teaching productive styles of flying every company i have worked for does things differently and have there own style and way they want you to do it, also when your training and starting out on ag id rather be safe and alive then not safe and productive( not talking about phil as i dont know him, no doubt he is safe), productiveness comes with experience and it doesnt take long to get productive, im sure both do a good ag rating though.

others also

Michael Glynn -Franz
Blair Chapman - Mt hutt
Barry Reiher- whangerai

and many more around country

cheers

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”