What is the best chopper for passenger transport?

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: What is the best chopper for passenger transport?

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue May 14 2013, 12:29

A 'Super D' is an AS350 Squirrel that has been re-engined with an American donk.

http://www.soloy.com/products/rotorcraf ... fault.aspx

Lower fuel burn and operating costs than the French 'Ariel' version. The French also do not have a good reputation for supporting their machines in a timely fashion, as well as being quite a bit more expensive for parts and servicing.
KNOW NUFFIN

Postby KNOW NUFFIN » Tue May 14 2013, 12:36

Thanks F F . Sounds awesome i.e. like a Renault with a 350 Chev ???
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Tue May 14 2013, 13:11

Bit of an odd one, but the Super D is specifically the Soloy conversion whereas a B2 re-engined with the LTS101-750 is still a B2!

Don't forget the original AS350 for the North American market was the Astar with an LTS101-650, so the concept isn't anything new. But as I commented in my original post it is far preferable for both performance and for running costs when compared with the Turbomeca offering.
HawkerPacificBankstown

Postby HawkerPacificBankstown » Tue May 14 2013, 23:58

Hi Folks,

We are the Independent Representative for Bell Helicopter Textron in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Middle East. Our rotary team has sales offices and comprehensive rotary wing maintenance, repair and modification capabilities, including Bell Helicopter endorsed Customer Service Facilities in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Auckland (New Zealand) and Dubai (UAE).

The Bell 407 and 206 range are proven performers and we offer for further assistance please contact the gentleman below,

Mathew Hardy
Sales Executive Rotary Wing
Telephone +61 2 9708 8610
Mobile +61 404 886 810
Facsimile +61 2 9708 8755
Email mathew.hardy@hawkerpacific.com

Mathew is a respected name within the industry and will be able to talk about the benefits and possible working solutions that these machines can provide.

Kind Regards,

Hawker Pacifc.
SPOAR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SPOAR » Wed May 15 2013, 07:24

MD600N Family sized sports car !!!
SPOAR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SPOAR » Wed May 15 2013, 07:26

MD600N Forgiving characteristics sportscar handling plenty of room nice and quiet and affordable!!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed May 15 2013, 10:55

FF, I prefer to think that the "Super" part of the "Super D2" refers to the pilot. The "EC" part of the EC130 is also referencing the pilot (Extremely Cool) and of course the "A and E" in A109E, again references the pilot (Absolutely Excellent).

And strangely enough, I have all of the above to play with.

lucky me with my lowly CPL(H) and only a few hours in my book.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Outofwhack
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Outofwhack » Wed May 15 2013, 11:39

If transporting passengers for observation purposes wouldn't the best be a Bell 47 ;)
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed May 15 2013, 21:11

As long as the trip in the 47 is within line of sight, otherwise you will run out of fuel.

So blunt, the Mcrit (critical drag rise Mach number) is .000000035
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed May 15 2013, 22:29

Marine One. Especially with the Intern Interior fit.
¡Librame!
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Thu May 16 2013, 05:21

One sexy beast, comes in fellali led too......I want

http://www.jasu.org/pz/hw/hwa/chris_jon ... 20502a.jpg
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu May 16 2013, 07:16

Just watch out for the projectile vomiting from the rear pax - the tail waffles around a lot. The front row seems to be steady but the back area is conducive to tossing breakfast.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Thu May 16 2013, 11:03

Back a the bus....I never sit in the back.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu May 16 2013, 22:02

AU
Somebody mentioned that the EC130 had not been recommended.
Well they are a nice machine to fly, roomy, good payload, plenty of storage for the kids toys and the wife's shoes, lots of big arsed windows to see out of (although the view from the drivers seat isn't that red hot).
Not fast, cruise at about 115-120 kias (unless you want to pull the guts out of it and have a fuel burn of about 200 lph, it's usually around 175-180 lph)
Fast to start, fast to shut down, FADEC, dual hydraulics. You can get an auxiliary fuel tank (from memory around 150 litres) fitted in one of the side lockers and this can be very handy. They are left hand drive, but that only takes about a year to get used to if you're me and a couple of weeks for anybody else. It is Eurocopter, proberbly it's biggest downfall. Maintenance isn't too bad unless it's something to do with the engine, then you'll need to sell off one of the kids for medical experiments.

Main thing with the 130 is what you want to use it for. Look at that first and foremost with any helicopter. Decide on what you want from a helicopter and then get one that best suits that task.

If you get close to a AS350SD2 or a EC130, PM me and I'll try to hunt up what it has cost to run ours. (They aren't "ours", I'm just the one who pedals it around, but I may be able to get you the figures).
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Thu Apr 13 2017, 07:02

For a low cost machine for a private pilot, has anyone got experience with the BO105 ?
To me it ticks many boxes such as safety, the ability to lift plenty and still take off with full tanks, plenty of storage space, 3 good back seats and a lower purchase price (I cannot afford a $1m machine just to flt myself, my wife and the kids around in).
Any suggestions please?
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Apr 13 2017, 10:11

(I cannot afford a $1m machine just to flt myself, my wife and the kids around in)

Forget the 105 clackerbox.

Don't be fooled by the initial cheap purchase price. Any twin, let alone of that age will burn a hole in you pants if you don't have an unlimited supply of cash or contract in which case no problem, but besides that they are just downright ugly.

Depending on how many kids you have, buy yourself a good trusty B206, you cant beat them. They are very forgiving, low DOC's and very very reliable.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Thu Apr 13 2017, 10:17

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The thing that appeals about the 105 is the ability to load it up with passengers, bags and full tanks and not worry about the take off weight. The 4 blades and stability also appeal for our "changeable" weather conditions in New Zealand. However I hear what you say about the twin engine and the age. I like the Jet ranger (although never flown one as I only have a R44 licence at this stage) but was also looking at other options.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 13 2017, 16:27

The trusty ol B206 jetranger is your best bang for buck.

If I were buying a private helicopter as a run about this would be the machine I would buy.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Thu Apr 13 2017, 21:45

hey HIP

Id speak for a few of us that clearly believe with the selection of toys at your disposal you have kissed on the dick! :lol:

off shore seating not that comfy for pax but for pilot the 139 was fast, smooth, powerful... enjoyed every minute of that beast.
Last edited by bladepitch on Thu Apr 13 2017, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Apr 13 2017, 21:46

FX Trader, you have already seen the response from Nearly Retired on that vertical-type reference forum, he speaks from vast experience.

For simplicity of operation, availability of parts, finding a mechanic who knows how to service it, get a Long Ranger. More space, smoother ride. The original L model ran a C-20 so the fuel burn was the same as a Short Ranger, and you don't lose much on lifting - a Misuse and two bratlets, weekend bags and a skinful of fuel is still easily in its abilities. And it goes faster than its little brother.

If the "changeable NZ weather" is such that you need the rigid head of a BO-105 to survive, you shouldn't be out there with your family anyway.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”