What is the best chopper for passenger transport?

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: What is the best chopper for passenger transport?

Postby FXTrader » Fri Apr 14 2017, 21:33

Thanks for your replies everyone - much appreciated.

I suppose the initial buy price is an issue.

Either own a BO105 outright and accept the higher run costs with the twin engine or purchase a jet ranger (possible max lift issues) or long ranger but at a lot bigger purchase price (which I'm not sure I can justify for 200-300 hours max a year).

That's my dilemma right now.
AS350Driver
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AS350Driver » Sun Apr 16 2017, 09:57

FX Trader. Their is no such thing as a cheap helicopter. You need to call some engineers to get ideas of running costs. Don't ask salesman, they are only after the sale. The most expensive part of a turbine aircraft is the turbine. Why buy an aircraft with two if your worried about cost. Good luck and do some research.
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Tue Apr 18 2017, 21:51

Thanks again.

The choices as I see it are:

Jet ranger
EC120b
BO105
MD600N
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Apr 18 2017, 22:20

Choose a Jetranger / Longranger, you cant go wrong for reliability and operating costs.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Apr 18 2017, 23:25

FXTrader wrote:Thanks again.

The choices as I see it are:

Jet ranger
EC120b
BO105
MD600N

Jetranger, hands down. Especially now there's more and more aftermarket components coming out to support them and keep them going for years to come.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Tue Apr 18 2017, 23:29

Thanks for that.

The only thing I believe a Jet ranger will not compete against the 105 is the amount of available weight it can lift (full tanks, passengers, baggage) and the visibility for the passengers.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Apr 19 2017, 01:50

FXTrader wrote:Thanks for that.

The only thing I believe a Jet ranger will not compete against the 105 is the amount of available weight it can lift (full tanks, passengers, baggage) and the visibility for the passengers.

Better buy two of the 105's then, as one will always be in the shop, plus there's not many engineers around in Australia that know them inside out. You will always be hunting for parts. The companies in Australia that are operating 105's bought literally container loads of spares from Germany with the packages they bought.

I loved flying the 105 don't get me wrong but I would never buy one as a personal aircraft unless you have deep pockets to keep it running in comparison to a jetbox.
Last edited by havick on Wed Apr 19 2017, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Wed Apr 19 2017, 01:59

I have an AS350D for sale.
http://beckerhelicopters.com/as350d-squ ... -for-sale/

Reckon I could be negotiable on the listed price!
Beck Helicopters

Postby Beck Helicopters » Wed Apr 19 2017, 02:18

JR, only machine. If you want bigger, LR or 407. even bigger, 204/205/UH1...
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Wed Apr 19 2017, 03:47

Hi Mike,

A beautiful machine indeed but way out of my price league for 200-300 private hours a year (although I'd love to say yes).
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Apr 19 2017, 14:57

Fx Trader,
Forget about that squirrel, its too old and expensive to run.
As I and many others here have mentioned, shout yourself a Jetranger or a Longranger you cannot go wrong for a private pilot.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Wed Apr 19 2017, 23:46

Thanks guys.
I'm doing a test flight in the Jet ranger soon so really looking forward to that.
Seems like the sensible way to go.
With so many on the market (mostly in the US), what would be the main things I should be looking out for as a purchaser?
Any tips would be appreciated.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Apr 19 2017, 23:57

FXTrader wrote:Thanks guys.
I'm doing a test flight in the Jet ranger soon so really looking forward to that.
With so many on the market (mostly in the US), what would be the main things I should be looking out for as a purchaser?

Pay the money for an engineer to do a pre purchase inspection. Get them to go through the component runout sheet and see what times and calendar life we left to run on everything. Also make sure you get power assurance check figures and engine trend figures going as far back as you can get your hands.

Don't be dazzled with a fancy coat of jam, remember any polished turd can be rolled in glitter. Instead really look for a mechanically sound machine with good wiring, good component times and good power figures. Bonuses like boot extenders and the like are nice to haves.
FXTrader
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FXTrader » Thu Apr 20 2017, 00:01

havick wrote:
FXTrader wrote:Thanks guys.

Pay the money for an engineer to do a pre purchase inspection. Get them to go through the component runout sheet and see what times and calendar life we left to run on everything. Also make sure you get power assurance check figures and engine trend figures going as far back as you can get your hands.

Don't be dazzled with a fancy coat of jam, remember any polished turd can be rolled in glitter. Instead really look for a mechanically sound machine with good wiring, good component times and good power figures. Bonuses like boot extenders and the like are nice to haves.

Thank you, great advice.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 20 2017, 00:12

FXtrader Check your PM's

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”