Accountant in Perth WA

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Accountant in Perth WA

Postby bigglesbutler » Sun Jul 7 2013, 23:22

Hi folks,

Does anyone use an accountant in the area around Hillary's area, need some who knows the ins and outs of touring and such like. There seen to be plenty of them I just don't know which one to use.

Thanks

Si
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Accountant in Perth WA

Postby Planner » Mon Jul 8 2013, 03:02

I used to work for PriceWaterhouseCoopers in Perth CBD (on the terrace) in tax/business services but most of the guys I worked with have now gone onto other things. Matthew Gurner is still there and a very capable accountant. Be warned though, we used to charge pretty hard for advice so I am guessing nothing has changed on that front so make sure you get a quote!

Matt's number is (08) 9238 3458 in case you are tempted to call.

Regards,
Michael.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Mon Jul 8 2013, 03:38

I use Marg at http://www.flowerseddycpa.com.au/.

She was the accountant at HeliWest many many years ago and as a result understands aviation and touring. She's reasonable priced, but very straight down the line (ie; she doesn't really promote dodgey dealings or 'grey areas').

They're in Willetton (SOR).
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Mon Jul 8 2013, 04:20

I'm not into being dodgy as I don't want the added stress of it, thanks for the advice.

On another note does any one use accounting software with any success?

Si
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Mon Jul 8 2013, 04:36

Make sure you ask about the zone allowance when you go in.
It's a rebate given for every day spent up north, and can add up to a bit of dough over a year's touring.
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Planner » Mon Jul 8 2013, 04:42

A large number of clients of the accounting firm that I work in use myob. Files are directly compatible with the accounting practice software so they can import directly onto their system. Saves a few dollars accounting fees if the balance sheet is reconciled correctly by the client (mainly bank accounts,debtors and creditors). This means that all that should be required by the accountant are a few adjusting entries at year end.

I would choose your accountant first and ask them what they recommend to ensure they can easily import to their system.

Michael.
DADFA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DADFA » Mon Jul 8 2013, 13:58

Yakking wrote:I use Marg at http://www.flowerseddycpa.com.au/.

She was the accountant at HeliWest many many years ago and as a result understands aviation and touring. She's reasonable priced, but very straight down the line (ie; she doesn't really promote dodgey dealings or 'grey areas').

They're in Willetton (SOR).

I also use Flowers eddy and have done for the past 27 years though not aviation related. They have always done the best for me and the rates are good.
I am North of the river but I find the travel to the office is no problem down the freeway and the electronic age offers a lot of convenience as well in the submission of returns etc. meaning I don't have to go there in person more than twice a year.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Mon Jul 8 2013, 14:35

Mongrel Dog wrote:Make sure you ask about the zone allowance when you go in.
It's a rebate given for every day spent up north, and can add up to a bit of dough over a year's touring.

If you do end up using EddyFlowers or any other accountant for that matter, then take a yearly planner/ calendar in with where you have been each night (or at least a list with the total number of nights in each zone/region/town. They'll do all the rest. As Mongrel dog says; it adds up (bought me a motorbike one year).
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Tue Jul 9 2013, 00:39

That's great thanks Yakking, MD mentioned it but I didn't realise it could account to that much. :D

Si
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Tue Jul 9 2013, 01:09

Don't quote me on it, but I think the tax laws in regards to allowances changed a year or two ago. As a result they tax you more accurately throughout the year, meaning that the returns aren't as big.

But I'm just a dumb-arse pilot (the last person you should be getting tax advice from). Speak to an accountant.
Acrophobia
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Acrophobia » Tue Jul 9 2013, 01:12

In regards to zone allowance - don't you only get it once your over 6 months away , or is any amount of days away ??
airportmotel
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby airportmotel » Tue Jul 9 2013, 01:15

I was just told by my adviser, 183 days is were it kicks in and for zone A Darwin-Karratha you can claim a max of $383 dollars....so I did....2011 I got $1516 dollars.......
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Tue Jul 9 2013, 02:24

Every little helps and having been taxed in the UK I am still of a mind that "its better in my pocket than theirs", the tax office that is.

Thanks everyone for the input, and yes I will certainly ask the accountant first :D.

Si

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”