Settlers Arm Inn @ St Albans NSW

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Big Unit
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Settlers Arm Inn @ St Albans NSW

Postby Big Unit » Tue Dec 17 2013, 20:48

Thanks for the heads up Arrrj, I'll give Wollombi Pub a miss then also.

Does anyone know what its like getting into / out of Harrigans Irish Pub in Pokolbin in the Hunter Valley? Or a nice place to eat that also has a relatively easy spot to land in the Hunter Valley besides Kilcare ( foods expensive ).
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Dec 17 2013, 21:19

Hi Big Unit, harrigans requires a steep approach to the pad near the car park also. As do most of the resorts / restaurants there, however all is not lost!. Try Bimbadgen estate for lunch, the helipad is large and no obstacles and the approach profile Is clear. I havnt been up that way for awhile now but I doubt it has changed.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Planner » Tue Dec 17 2013, 23:13

Big Unit wrote:Thanks for the heads up Arrrj, I'll give Wollombi Pub a miss then also.

Does anyone know what its like getting into / out of Harrigans Irish Pub in Pokolbin in the Hunter Valley? Or a nice place to eat that also has a relatively easy spot to land in the Hunter Valley besides Kilcare ( foods expensive ).

Hi Big Unit.

Recently went to Pokolbin for the October long weekend and a helicopter came in to land at Tallavera Grove (R44 I think). Pilot came in from Mascot bringing some folks in from Sydney for lunch at the winery. Can't really give you much input on the degree of difficulty landing there, can''t really remember too many trees although the place where this guy landed seemed small to me. I do remember the pilot being quite a good bloke and happy to have a chat to us and let my 6 y/o son sit in the pilot's seat for a couple of photos. He still raves about it and wants to be a pilot!

That winery is situated on a mountain so very scenic. We didn't eat there so not sure how pricey it might be (they have a website). View was spectacular albeit a bit windy the day we were there.

Planner.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Dec 17 2013, 23:15

Twisty,

Correct. Bimbadgen is perfect. So is Hope Estate. You could land a fixed wing at both ! Crowne Plaza has a marked pad, not steep and no wires.

There are numerous other places...Big Unit...do your homework, Google Maps is your friend...as is the telephone.

The local guys will probably give you a heads up if you give them a call. Slatterly I think.

Arrrj

PS _ Harrigans (same people) at Taree on the coast is easy...land over the river.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Wed Dec 18 2013, 01:00

Planner wrote:my 6 y/o son sit in the pilot's seat for a couple of photos. He still raves about it and wants to be a pilot!

Pretty much every pilot on this site has a story like that I know I do I used to drag my mum to Tauranga Airport every weekend to see the machines and later Ardmore. We were all kids at the airport looking at the machines hoping to be the guy up the front. I would not be surprised if he never stops talking about it and one day 15 or so years from now he will land somewhere, see a child that has dragged their parents to the airport and let them sit up the front and have there photo taken. You wouldn't be surprised to here that pretty much every weekend up and down NZ there are parents that have been dragged to the airport by there kids. When ever I can I let them into the machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HVH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HVH » Wed Dec 18 2013, 01:18

Talavera Grove is the Winery, Bistro Mines is the restaurant. If you are worried about cost then this one would be no good to you either. If you are looking for an easy approach/ departure profile and nice food the I would recommend Amanda's on the Edge, Bimbadgen, as mentioned, Emersons at Adina Vineyard. Depending on the wind,Harrigans can have an easy approach from the W to WSW.

If you want some more detail, just call me on 0488 711778. ( I fly in and out of the places regularly, so hopefully I can answer all your questions)

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”