Heli Ski accident - Wanaka NZ Discussion

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Ecosse
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Heli Ski accident - Wanaka NZ Discussion

Postby Ecosse » Sat Aug 16 2014, 06:16

Very sad news. Pilot just named on the evening news and has minor injuries. He is a Good guy and very safety conscience. A speedy recovery to all involved and our thoughts are with all of his work colleagues.
flops
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Heli Ski accident - Wanaka NZ

Postby flops » Sat Aug 16 2014, 07:36

Be interesting to see what caused the incident. Pilot error or mechanical failure etc. a friend of mine's dad was on there! :(
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby colby » Sat Aug 16 2014, 08:21

So sorry to hear of this. Great company excellent pilot. Thoughts and prayers with all involved at this time.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Sat Aug 16 2014, 13:21

What?
Great company? etc
Don't you guys do your homework before you post on here?
This is Helicopter Line's 4th major in 12 months.
I have an idea CEO Helicopter Line - lets chuck any tom,dick ,harry behind the controls in our sophisticated machines in the southern alps of NZ, but here's the kicker!! We'll pay them $40k a year because you can have as little as 600hrs total and be our CP.
Yeah, how's that working out for you chief?
faultzone

Postby faultzone » Sat Aug 16 2014, 17:28

2Rotorbro, YOU have pinned it to a Tee !
Perfect response to the "fluffy brushovers" that I have just read,
Having spent 30 odd years in the Southern Alps on rotory ops I have witnessed the faultzones & the zones of fault !.
Tooooo much is taught on a blackboard nowadays , which has an overiding tendency towards brainfailure , rather than mechanical failure ...whoops , think that may have changed to whiteboard in modern times.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sat Aug 16 2014, 19:22

You are a couple of years behind the times fault zone, these days it's a smart board...

2rotor, are u counting landing one on top if the other as 1 or 2 incidents?
Ecosse
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ecosse » Sat Aug 16 2014, 20:21

2rotorbro I find parts of your comment interesting and you either do the hiring at THL or are simply a dick? Do you know the CP or have you flown with him? If not, it would be useful if you kept your comments to the facts. There are some however who will never the the truth stand in the way of a good story!
CL1/2pV2A
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CL1/2pV2A » Sat Aug 16 2014, 23:02

2 rotor bro, have a bit of respect. And take your own advise and do your homework. Or how bout stop writing on here every day and get a life.
Westy90
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Westy90 » Sat Aug 16 2014, 23:55

2rotorbro think you are swinging way above your weight. Get a few facts right before you comment on things.
1. I know for a fact the CEO does not do the hiring or firing.
2. The pay maybe 40k a year, well I can tell you thats more than what some guys are paying though out NZ.
3. Yes they have taken on the odd low time pilot in the past, but under very strict supervision. I would say good on them for doing that. Because how does a low time pilot get the chance to learn what Mount flying is all about if not given a chance.
4. They have one of the best check and training officers in both NZ and Aus,
5. I know there old CP very well and as a pilot and as a person he is a great guy and very respects boss and highly regarded pilot though out NZ, as for the new CP, Im not sure.
6. If you want to make a judgement on a company a day after aaccident that no one knows of what happen, then that is telling the world what sort of person you are.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Heli Ski accident - Wanaka NZ Discussion

Postby CYHeli » Mon Aug 18 2014, 07:30

I have re-opened this thread and split it into a discussion thread and a condolences thread.
Someone has died, lets remember that and try to keep it basically civil ladies and gents. We might not always agree on a point, but don't descend into mud slinging. The pilot has to live with what has happened, whether it is his fault or not. So do the other company staff.

If a person has a genuine issue with a company, over flying standards, safety, pay, etc, then take it up with the appropriate agency. Don't just bleat about it on here.

The mods walk a fine line and try their best, often to protect your butts! If a person takes real offence with a post, they might want to have go at someone in the courts. We are trying our best to stop that happening.

Keep the conversation to what you would have in the pub. It might get loud, but without the punch-up at the end!
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Aug 19 2014, 05:50

Westy, $40k really?
hellybelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hellybelly » Tue Aug 19 2014, 08:23

Ecosse wrote:2rotorbro I find parts of your comment interesting and you either do the hiring at THL or are simply a dick?Do you know the CP or have you flown with him? If not, it would be useful if you kept your comments to the facts. There are some however who will never the the truth stand in the way of a good story!

Think you nailed it Ecosse. Sounds like someone putting s#!t on a company having a bad run while hiding behind his keyboard! Up until very
recently they had one of the most respected check and training men in australasia! And for the amount of movements I would say a pretty tidy record! There have been a lot of low time drivers come through the system under his watch. So what the heck does that have to do with the CP, or this incident? Anyone that is prepared to point and sling s#!t at someone elses misfortune is just asking for it i reckon......

So does it take the full 30 years of southern alps rotary op's to be incapable of making an error at the controls....?? Oc:=
Ah6j
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ah6j » Tue Aug 19 2014, 09:04

People who have flown in snowy environments for a decent amountof time will know not to point finger or take the piss about this accident and those of you who havent flown in the snow should shut their mouths as it is a completely different world dealing with bright light, flat light,blowing snow, deep powder, ice crusts and all sorts of optical illusions that go hand in hand with working in that environment

:) my ten cents anyway
Ah6j
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ah6j » Tue Aug 19 2014, 09:06

Also every company down there has good check and training its just the environment that causes the issues sometimes
hellybelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hellybelly » Tue Aug 19 2014, 09:31

couldn't agree more! You can be taught, study, train until the cows come home, but the cold hard facts are when you are operating an aircraft
in an environment like that on a daily basis, even the most experienced pilot can come unstuck!

Those that see fit to come out of the woodwork and kick an outfit when they are down are obviously trying to prove to themselves that they
are somehow higher and more mighty, and will never be subject to any error on their part...!!

it would be far more constructive to be saying something like - in my 30 odd years of heli op's in the southern alps, I have seen first hand the challenging nature of these operations, and feel for the guys that have been caught out, and the companies bad run in the last 12 months...! OR JUST SAY NOTHING!!

but no its way more fun to turn it into a pissing competition! Oc:=
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby colby » Tue Aug 19 2014, 09:34

Agree with what AH6j has said and standby my earlier post. "Great company, excellent Pilot."
colby.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Tue Aug 19 2014, 09:51

Maybe I am a dick but that is irrelevant. I am entitled to my say on this forum.
Of course I don't do the hiring/firing at THL.
I don't post on here everyday.
I have got a great life thanks.
Some people can't handle the truth. Can't deal with the sunlight. I'd say I am a very well informed and qualified commentator.
Wasn't that long ago when the current MD had bought the business that someone was appointed as CP with 600 hours - could have been 600 hours on air transport..who knows.
So all of you in the brains trust posting above this and tearing me a new one - good stuff. Obviously I have struck a chord and obviously there is something very very wrong at THL.
Just refer to the accident rate guys and for goodness sake harden up and get a pair of plums.
hellybelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hellybelly » Tue Aug 19 2014, 11:35

Everyone is entitled to their say

'Informed and qualified commentator', I would suggest maybe you look these up in the dictionary....

From the claims you have made, i'd say you know far less than you think!

Is the company responsible for a pilots error in judgment? making a mistake? It is easy to point the finger and say
that because there have been crashes, it must be check and training that is at fault! But that is a cop out...... When you
have maybe 30 odd pilots on the books, operating gear in an alpine environment, I would class that as a reasonably high
risk operation when you are thinking about what can go wrong! I would be interested to hear your qualified commentary
on accidents over the last ten years for THL? ANY company can have a bad run at ANY time......

I don't think its about tearing you a new one, but I personally, am struggling to see your logic here?

All you have put forward is inaccurate information that you have probably heard 3rd hand, and then pointed
the finger at some fellow pilots who have been caught out for whatever reasons in separate accidents, and said
its the fault of the 'CP with 600 hrs'?

if you were to re write your post with FACTS only, it would be very different!

Its not a good place for the company to be, and I don't think anyone would want that on their plate! ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN!

best of luck with your continued informed and qualified commentary 2rotorbro Oc:=
VENISON
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VENISON » Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:27

Very challenging environment indeed.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Aug 20 2014, 19:30

Why can't people just wish the pilot involved all the best.. He is a great guy and a friend and a very experienced driver.
Everyone has a bad day and the environment he works in has little room for error. Hats of to him. It's very sad that someone passed away and it effects all involved.
He will be doing it tough and wouldn't it be nice for people just to offer a quick message of support.
Everyone hates losing friends in this industry and I'm relieved he is ok.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”