Landing at your home

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Landing at your home

Postby CYHeli » Sat Dec 20 2014, 07:33

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Landing at your home

Postby Heli » Sat Dec 20 2014, 09:58

I've used my place since 1982, no worries apart from one grumpy (ex) Qantas AME from way up the road who tried to make an issue 2 years after he moved in. Council told him to nick off.

Rule one, offer rides to all the neighbour's kids.
Rule two, let them and the council know if you're going to operate early or late.
Rule three, when night flying make sure the landing light batteries don't cark it between SWMBO switching them on, and you getting home!
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Sun Dec 21 2014, 01:05

Heli,

You must not live in Sydney !

Home of the helicopter haters.

Two councils that I know of have changed their LEP's to prevent anyone even lodging a DA for a helipad. Yes, you cannot even apply ! (Pittwater and Warringah - where there are some approved helipads, but obviously now too many !)

It's a bloody joke, just like the part 61 introduction (etc), but no one in the public cares. Unless they want a fire put out or to be rescued.

Merry Christmas to all (yes, I know that's not politically correct...),
Arrrj
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sun Dec 21 2014, 06:49

Arrj,

A certain Sydney based helicopter sales team royally stuffed it up for we Mexicans when they insisted on applying for helipad approval from a local council in order to gain a corporate sale to a Melbourne based company. This opened the council's NIMBY mentality since until then no-one had any problems landing anywhere around Melbourne, often just calling Parks and Gardens for approval to land at a local park.

After a High Court rejection the prospective owner tried political help, resulting in the State Gummint changing the planning laws in favour of the NIMBYs such that all Victorian Councils are required to add heliports (not helipads) to the list of changes requiring planning approval. The rest is history, with approvals for landings in suburbs few and far between. Country councils can be easier, but those (like me) who were operating before the planning law changes can continue with 'grandfather rights' as long as a TO and landing occurs every two years or less.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Sun Dec 21 2014, 22:42

Heli,

Indeed. That's why a very famous pilot told me years ago to keep a very low profile. Don't ask / tell anyone anything...and then we can still operate without all the BS of the Nimby world.

Rule number one - Shhhhhhhh !

Arrrj
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Fri Dec 26 2014, 11:17

The best part of the article is all the haters posting at the bottom. Obviously all annoyed they didn't think of it first!
3DGoKarting

Postby 3DGoKarting » Sun Feb 5 2017, 02:50

Hi, I live on an acreage in Belrose which I land and takeoff helicopters. If you are interested in talking you can ring me 0419777502.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”