Training crash at Parafield

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Thunderbird_1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Training crash at Parafield

Postby Thunderbird_1 » Wed Dec 24 2014, 01:15

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-24/h ... or/5987160

Thankfully the two people involved are OK.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Training crash at Parafield

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Dec 24 2014, 03:14

Hover auto, practice or real? Unless the FI got complacent a bit with regular hover training. I 'trusted' proficient student on slope training and got caught out by him dumping collective too fast/hard.

I've read report of 11K pilot/FI ending up smashing his head in easy off airport that wasn't even confined area, but catching TR or skid or something, flipping on side can get nasty. That was R22.

Get well soon with that cracked rib (if nothing else going by the brief article).
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Dec 24 2014, 03:27

Wishing the crew involved a speedy recovery.

Chico, I'm not an instructor and already have enough grey hairs without going out to do the rating. However if my memory serves me correctly, I recall a very experienced and decorated EMS captain around 12-15 years ago was killed in a training flight exercise whereby the B47 they were using for training suffered dynamic rollover lifting off from a trolley styled pad. Who'd have thought a simple exercise such as lifting into the hover could result in such a tragic outcome?

It goes to show that regardless of who you are or what you're doing, the profession is high risk and accidents can happen to anyone at anytime.
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ag-Rotor » Wed Dec 24 2014, 03:39

What kind of aircraft was it ? 47 or 300 ?
ROTOR WORK
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ROTOR WORK » Wed Dec 24 2014, 06:02

havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Dec 24 2014, 12:47

Glad to see they walked away. Hope they're both back in the saddle in no time.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Dec 24 2014, 19:52

Ferrari, you might be referring to the rollover which involved a CASA FOI, who was an ex-RAAF Huey and Chinook pilot, been around a long time. What caught them was a lip on the trolley, caught the skid and the rollover caused a fire, though the blade entering the cockpit first did the most damage.
oldrotorhead
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby oldrotorhead » Wed Dec 24 2014, 22:08

There was (fortunately) no fire at all in that accident
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Dec 24 2014, 23:21

Eric Hunt wrote:Ferrari, you might be referring to the rollover which involved a CASA FOI, who was an ex-RAAF Huey and Chinook pilot, been around a long time. What caught them was a lip on the trolley, caught the skid and the rollover caused a fire, though the blade entering the cockpit first did the most damage.

Eric, that's the one I was referring to. The pilot concerned had not that long prior been awarded a certificate for heroism for the rescue of persons from a yacht in distress offshore from Cairns during a cyclone. Not long after this he was involved in the accident with the pad. Very sad indeed.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Fri Dec 26 2014, 02:28

Yes.

I had one 70hr+ PPL rated (UK trained and fairly current) pilot pulling cyclic to right (as if cruise) PRIOR to lif-off/raising collective, not going light on skids & neutralising any drift/yaw first. I had to fight him for a second to avoid flipping it for double the hours expected for solo checkout. Reminded many times.
Not feeling the machine, rushing, counting every 0.001 hobbs not airborne (YET timebuilding!) and so on. With said pilot I did few 'power fulldowns' in R22 to avoid losing control/pranging something/overspeeding when he'd constantly bleed off airspeed in auto (and thus RRPM up) and no demo or talk through/prompts would help much.

Regarding the 412/chook capt flipping 47, well, probably going from big 'unresponsive' stuff and different controls feel/forces/displacement to light/more responsive, incl need to work the pedals more - however silly it sounds to some (just ask Blackhawks and Chinook pilots), all of that can get sticky. Anything skid or skid shoe can catch on with lateral drift and things go bad fast.

Worse thing is reasonably (or previously highly) proficient pilot doing recurrent/review etc and instructor getting complacent not watching like a hawk close to controls. Yes, to some it may be perceived as disrespect or treating experienced pilots like kids. It can backfire one day.
Like the Cabri hard-ish landing in Oz. Cockpit gradient/experienced student.

Negative skills transfer to different machine, even same category exists.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”