Retirement from active flying

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Ian Paull

Retirement from active flying

Postby Ian Paull » Fri Jun 5 2015, 03:10

The time has finally come for me to hang up the headset and call it a day after 48 years of active flying. It's not any sort of record I know but the reason I am posting is primarily, that as a reasonably busy ATO, I felt it appropriate to let people know of my future unavailability in this area which, unfortunately, will only add to the problem we currently have with a shortage of experienced ATOs. Hopefully, my retirement may spur CASA into fast tracking some younger aspirant's current application!
It isn't without some regret that I am retiring from active flying but, for me personally, the time is right and I wish to bow out before getting a reputation of developing into a silly old dribbler who went on past his Use By Date. That said, I would like to think that having been an instructor for 42 years and an Examiner/ATO for over 30 years I have made a reasonable contribution. I've never bothered to count up all the flight tests I've done over the years - could well be over a thousand, but I do feel very privileged to have been able to be involved in so many terrific guys' and girls' careers from the outset. I have certainly learnt something from each and every one of them and if I could give everyone one piece of advice, it would be just that - never ever stop learning. You can learn something from everyone, even if it is how to definitely NOT do a particular manoeuvre! You will never know it all.
I am not giving up on my working life and will be staying in my day job which is in safety and compliance with a leading operator so I will still be in touch with this industry which I love very much as I'm sure most of you all also do.
I'm always available to offer help and advice so feel free to contact me any time if you need any of that.
Finally, I'd like to sincerely thank all of you who know me, who have helped me with my own career or whom I have been able to help along the way myself. It's been a privilege and a pleasure. Please continue to be safe out there!
All the best,
Ian.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Retirement from active flying

Postby CYHeli » Fri Jun 5 2015, 09:05

Thanks for your work over the years.
You are appreciated and will be missed.
Col.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
huey
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby huey » Fri Jun 5 2015, 09:15

All the best from the west Ian.

Huey
Huey
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Jun 5 2015, 09:22

From a low level approval in 1997 to a NVFR in 2013, it was always a pleasure to learn from you. Good luck with semi-retirement!!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Mick Cullen
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mick Cullen » Fri Jun 5 2015, 09:29

Was a pleasure having the chance to fly with you Ian.
Hope to still see you around the traps from time to time.
Richard Peters

Postby Richard Peters » Fri Jun 5 2015, 10:12

I'm really glad I got a chance to fly with you recently on my FIR initial test. I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed by this news.
Best of luck,
Richard
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Jun 5 2015, 10:36

This can't be correct. Surely the world will tilt on its axis or ice over, or something.
It certainly ain't gunna be the same.

From autorotation accuracy comps "ok, the flat part of the skids on the gravel, with the curve over the tar - go".
To IF, every flight with you has been a pleasure my friend.

Bourbon soon.
Rotax
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rotax » Fri Jun 5 2015, 10:57

What an outstanding career you have had. I still remember the day you sent me solo at Caloundra in 97. Thank you for sharing such a wealth of knowledge to the industry. All the best for the future.
Spag
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 5 2015, 11:11

A career to be proud of, not only shown by the fast responses here but also by the reputation you uphold in the industry. It is a sad day for the industry but your efforts are much appreciated by many.

All the best with retirement mate.
James Hall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby James Hall » Fri Jun 5 2015, 13:59

All the best in your flying retirement Ian, was great to learn from your experience and no doubt many pilots are safer and more skilled because of your guidance.

Thanks for the training in the classroom, the aircraft and on the chessboard :-)
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Jun 5 2015, 15:00

pop;
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri Jun 5 2015, 21:07

There is a certain amount of cheering that us Vietnam-era pilots are finally getting out of the command seats. Sometimes I wonder if we made a good-enough contribution to training the next generation, and the one after that, and the one after that. The satisfaction came when Scar patted them on the back and told them they were the newest commercial pilot in Australia.

Cheers, Ian, enjoy the quietness...... apart from the turbine-induced tinnitus.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Jun 5 2015, 22:38

You will be missed by many. You did my CPL(H) test in Jan90. We have crossed paths many times since and it has always been a pleasure.
Enjoy your semi-retirement.

Terry
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Sat Jun 6 2015, 08:03

Thank you again Ian for all your help over the previous couple of years. Not just passing and advancing me but mainly passing my students on their first step in this game. Including the one earlier today who has the honour of being your last CPL flight test success.

My task is to find a new ATO now. Problem is you've left big shoes to fill.

Cheers and all the best mate, I'll stay in touch. W.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jun 6 2015, 09:50

Met Ian several years back at some heli gathering at a Gold Coast golf course years ago. I was a bare basic CPL newbie promoting the wares of the company I was working for at the time. For someone who probably deserved to have an ego he struck me as an incredibly humble and approachable gentleman. Not an ounce of ego to be found anywhere. How refreshing!

Enjoy the transition Ian. By the looks of this thread you set a very high standard and will leave big shoes to fill.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Sat Jun 6 2015, 10:52

Ian, you did a great job helping so many people get onto and off their launch pad. You have always been a trusted friend who knew his stuff! All the best in your less noisy role. And thanks for being such a great mentor for so many! Rob Rich.
V2helicopters
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby V2helicopters » Wed Jun 10 2015, 00:01

Sad to see you go Ian.

All the best in the future.

Luke, Roger and V2 Team.
Tony Carmody
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Tony Carmody » Fri Jun 12 2015, 09:29

Today was a memorable day at Airwork Caboolture.

If the story is correct, Ian's first helicopter flight in the late sixties was with Tub in a Bell47.

Today was Ian's last as PIC and guess who he flew with and what type of Helicopter.... yep.... with Tub in a 47.

Photos of today's flight : https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AB27B308AD50D530&id=ab27b308ad50d530%2123917

There are plenty of words I could use to describe Ian such as: professional/just the best/ace of the base but I prefer to use these: " a highly respected good bloke".

Thanks for your many moons of support Ian.. its been a great journey made better through knowing you.

Thanks also to MT for the prawns, XXXX and bush stories to make the day even better

Tc :)

Ian Paull

Postby Ian Paull » Fri Jun 12 2015, 10:12

Thanks sincerely for the kind words TC and sincere thanks also to Myles for his generosity today. We go back a long way and share a unique bond.
The story is correct and it was with 2nd Lt Matheson that I took my first trip in a Bell 47 in August 1968 so I thought it only right and proper that he came along with me today. We shared a couple of Confined Areas and also a couple of autos so all in all it was a fitting way to end the day.
I must say I am very humbled by the compliments paid to me on this forum. I certainly didn't expect them so thank you all sincerely. Sincere good luck to you all, and once again I must say what a privilege it has been to have been involved with so many of your careers. I reiterate that I am always available for a chat or for some advice or to just be a sounding board if you need one.
Take care and stay safe.
Ian.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Sun Jun 14 2015, 11:35

A little bit of history?

I first flew with you in Sioux A1-638 on 27 July 1972. The flight lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes. It was your Annual Recat Test. It must have been good as I cannot remember a thing? And again on 2 February 1973 in A1-646. Still no memory; I only remember those ones that were scary! Later in life you did my civil MEH IFR renewals and I hope you I did not worry you too much! You must write a book, it will be a best seller; your fan club will see to that.
Rob Rich.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”