CHC EBA Post Vote Negotiations

phugoyd

CHC EBA Post Vote Negotiations

Postby phugoyd » Wed May 28 2008, 05:40

For those people still looking at this forum, please do not post unless you have something worthwhile to add or I will delete the post. Information only, otherwise use the company e-mail to air your personal views.

Regards

Phugs
eba
Have YOUR say

Re: CHC EBA Post Vote Negotiations

Postby eba » Sat May 31 2008, 07:21

I have just read Chris Ridings letter dated 30/5/08 and I do not agree. I have been with CHC for over 11 years now and have been in many "battles" with senoir management in UK and to some extent, Norway. Six years ago in UK, the pilot work force was asking for a 42% pay rise. After many meatings, management kept saying that they did not have 42% to give but after a near walk-out by the pilots we got our 42% over two years SO the money is there. The oil companies came to us after the ink was dry on the pay deal and told us that they had been waiting 7 years for the pilots to ask for more money !!! In following years with a strong work force, the pilots have also got an industry leading roster i.e equal time and the best pension in the UK so ANYTHING is possable.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat May 31 2008, 07:46

Great letter, well done, now lets see what we are worth.

As a tourer on 15days that equals 360 hours away from home for each tour multiplies by 12 tours equals 4320hrs at work.

Now lets divide the proposed gross wages by these hours.

FO Year 3 $66,772 by 4320 hrs = $15.45 per hour.
SFO Year 4 $89,487 by 4320 hrs = $20.71 per hour.
ME Captain Year 7 $109,545 by 4320 = $25.35 per hour

So at the most your worth $25.23 per hour, well done, for years off low wages, hard study, multiple examinations throughout your career AND you risk your life each and every time you fly you get chocolate coated peanuts.

Better phone the oil companies CR, we want more.

AND if anyone falls for the "were happy to redistribute the offer" crap, which interpreted means "look for some of your workmates to screw over again" you must have no moral fibre in your body. Oc:=

Sounds familiar, Darwin allowance, SFO upgrade from 2 to 3 years, Different pay increases.

Stick at it guys, there's money available it just has to be fought for if you think you are worth it.

We had a unanimous No and there are now 90 odd AFAP members ready and whiling to fight for a fair deal.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Mon Jun 2 2008, 09:08

* The most significant contributors to the increase this quarter were automotive fuel (+5.4%), pharmaceuticals (+13.1%), house purchase (+1.7%), electricity (+6.0%), rents (+2.0%) and other financial services (+2.0%).
* The most significant offsetting decreases were for furniture (-3.6%), audio, visual and computing equipment (-5.8%), domestic holiday travel and accommodation (-1.4%) and accessories (-5.3%).

This is an extract from the December 07 to March 08 CPI figures from the ABS, as you will see all the necessities of life have increased by an average of 6.78%, the only things keeping the CPI figure to 4.2% are discretionary purchases like TV,s and holidays.

As you can see the proposed 10% and 7.5% increases followed by 5% fall far short of keeping up with inflation let alone rewarding pilots for there skills and abilities.

Its evident in Today's world that to maintain the standard of living that we currently enjoy we will have to fight for a significant pay increase, even 30% over 3 years is really just covering the bills. We are in a fight for resources with the whole world now including the massive populations of China and India. If we have to increase the price of gas and oil to maintain our way of life then so be it!

I had my car insurance renewal this year, it was 11% higher than last year for a car reducing in value, my medical insurance was increased by 9%, food is already 50% higher this year from government figures than last year and we all know what fuel is doing.

Demand more and stick to your demands.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jun 8 2008, 02:21

ATC now looking for about a 50% pay rise !!!!!
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jun 22 2008, 00:32

Giddat Guys, ALLS QUIET AT THE MOMENT, I have heard that the reps are proposing to go to the company with a 30 % increase and that they are talking between themselves about asking for 33%. That 30 % will leave us some 5 to 6 % behind 33% will still leave us 2 tp 3 % behind Bristow and remembering that their EBA is only for 2 yrs.

The other point is that casual days at a base not touring will only increase by the 1st years headline rate only and casual days for tourers will be the proposed rate of $750 per 24 hrs Not enough in my book these are the figures that ypur reps are taking in to the company unless we tell them differently.
I think a casual day not touring should be at least $750 as there are single drivers getting that for the same days workI The tourers or people required to do 24
hrs away should get at least $1000 per casual day remember that E&i tourers are getting $870 or so a day and some Lames are getting around $687 a day with their EBA to come up soon. Please dont sell yourself short. Now is thwe time we havent come this far to wimper out now .

Do you really want the guys who wave goodbye when you punch into the storms and like to be getting more that ourselves I dont. It is not about the others it is about risk and who really takes it.
Let the reps know your views on money now, they are here to listen and deliver our wishes.With all that is in place (industrial action) there may never be a better time than there is now to achieve for our families.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Fri Jul 18 2008, 03:26

Well a big wall of secrecy has descended on the whole process, no information at all has been released from our reps, the company or the AFAP which would allow us to make a decision.

So far from leaked information we have heard 24% increase for all with a 10% increase on top of that for offshore due to higher earnings in that sector over 2 years.

We are also hearing that they may reduce the offshore offer to increase the onshore offer so all is fair.

Really what is on the table is the original 10% for Captains and 7.5% for co-pilots.

I personally don't understand the need for all the secrecy but there must be a reason.

It could take a long time to reach agreement but the longer it drags out the less inclined workers will be to strike as the momentum falls away for strike action. In the end it seems the Company with all of its high payed lawyer's is winning the battle.

Keep at it guys, we have come a long way to achieving what in todays climate is a fair reward for the skills and sacrifices we have and make.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat Jul 19 2008, 01:38

"So far from leaked information we have heard 24% increase for all with a 10% increase on top of that for offshore due to higher earnings in that sector over 2 years."

I would hate to see us go down that rocky path, earnings dictated by the profit margin of the contract...
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat Jul 19 2008, 11:40

From what i have just read of the AFAP release and from what has come out of the meetings, this companies management is putting at risk what was left of any relationship it had with its pilots.

From not being granted leave to being bullied into taking leave when you don't want it, forced roster changes and a complete lack of support from Head office this may be the final straw.

Their derogatory statement that we would put lives at risk shows a complete contempt for us and should be followed with an apology before any negotiations continue.

This will not bode well for CHC, it will get known around the industry and may harm our chances for future recruitment.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat Jul 19 2008, 13:39

From an offshore pilot. I agree that it would not be fair to go down the path of pay for jobs senario, but is it fair to ask our offshore drivers to work for less than the opposition companies pay. (And it is not an option to leave and work for those guys as we could say the same to the other streams)
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat Jul 19 2008, 21:48

Being one one of those EMS Pilots, whilst I understand that was the only lever C.R. had left to pull, citing possible examples of what his pilots are likely to do I find derogatory and offensive.
Interesting in early memo's, C.R. has not wanted to damage the management / Pilot relationship.
Whilst this manoeuvre has bought him two weeks of leeway, the damage to Management / Pilot relations will go way past that. At least an official apology is required.
The longer this drags on, and now with the introduction of slander, the more we will dig our heels in.

Also interesting that the sector that should be paid the least (according to the Helicopter Gods) is the one with all the leverage?
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sat Jul 19 2008, 21:59

...the other thing I forgot was the last paragraph of the AFAP memo;

"In finalising its agreement with the AFAP and BHA Pilot Reps, Bristow did so without its pilots being forced to take industrial action. In-principle agreement has also been reached with Jayrow again without the need for industrial action"

Another fine example of the relationship C.R. doesn't want to damage...
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jul 20 2008, 00:19

Also interesting that the sector that should be paid the least (according to the Helicopter Gods) is the one with all the leverage?

The sector to which you refer we can assume is EMS.

You mean, through unforeseen changes over the last few months, the only Pilot Group that has a representative? That's your leverage.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jul 20 2008, 05:11

RE Pilot Reps email regarding EMS/Offshore relationship
Is it fair that one stream of pilots gets to return to their families everyday. Is it fair that one streams gets paid an extra 7.5% more in allowances. Is it fair that one stream of pilots gets 6 weeks of annual leave and the other gets 4 weeks (where did those 13 days of accrued field leave go). Is it fair that one stream of pilots are able to spend every Christmas and New Year with their families, whilst pilots in the other stream have not had a Christmas/New Year off in over 10 years.

A 15/13 roster may sound good to some (especially those who never have experienced it), but how many really want to spend half the year away from their families and friends.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jul 20 2008, 05:22

"Oil is King" Offshore expansion is sucking up drivers and as a result of supply and demand our competitors have had to increase salaries to ensure experienced pilots remain onboard. This is possible as the profits are in these contracts but is the same true of the EMS contracts... perhaps not.

It is possible to imagine the company being prepared to offset a net return that is less than forecast with good returns form it's core business (Offshore) but can we expect that they would continue beyond their obligations with a presence in a market that loses money... what level of job security could a pilot ultimately expect if the company does not make money?
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jul 20 2008, 05:34

There is a reason why the pilot Reps will not release the real figures. If people are really interested in the real figures, which by the way are not what has been posted on this site, all they have to do is ask there mates who are employed by Bristows and Jayrow Offshore.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Sun Jul 20 2008, 11:45

I am not an EMS pilot however I was absolutely gob smacked by the content of the AFAP memo. I had no idea CHC management had so little regard for a group of guys and by inference the entire pilot group, who, from time to time have put themselves at great personal risk in order to save or assist another person in distress.

The pilot group are the ones who are directly making money for this company, we are the first point of face to face contact with many clients and are the ones who assume the inherent risks in aviation. I cannot believe that the management no longer have faith in the professionalism of their pilots to carry out their duties to the upmost of their abilities and professional standards. This is the same pilot group who over the last umpteen years have done Nitesun approaches into motor vehicle accidents in the middle of the night with minimal lighting, carried out Autohover rescues many miles out to sea and rig evacuations during cyclones.

Don't get sucked in to internal bickering because the result will be a divided workforce and a loss for the pilot body as a whole. The battle is not with each other it is with management. We have all crossed roles at one point or another so it is unfair to suggest one section within the pilot group has greater standing than another, if management achieve their aim of fracturing the pilot group then we will be lucky to get 5% over 3 years.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Mon Jul 21 2008, 10:45

Totally agree with the above comment.

We are in a collective bargaining period for a collective agreement. Therefore we should stick together and try to get the most we can for the collective group. This is what the reps are doing and why it doesn't matter what figures are being discussed. We should trust them to come to us when they have achieved what we asked or the best offer the company has. This is previously what the company had suggested (that they had given us their best offer) and so it went to vote. I think by now we all know the truth of those sentiments.

Every tactic used to date has been standard for these types of things (except for the questioning of our professionalism, which CR tried to cover up in his update and put the blame on the AFAP). What is not standard are some of the "individuals" that are not with the collective jumping on the group email system and trying to hijack the entire process to "ease their conscience".

We are in a collective agreement which means individually none of us will get exactly what we are after but collectively we should be getting the best deal we can for the group.

Personally I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to split the streams and fragment the company but it really isn't up to me as an individual. If the company is addament this needs to happen then eventually we will get to vote on it. If it is a bluff then a collective front is our best form of defence.

Please get off the reps back (especially publicly via email) and let them do our collective bidding. They've always gooten back to us when there is a need for input and will continue to do so.

This will be a long road but lets stick together for a good "collective" outcome.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Mon Jul 21 2008, 11:28

Good to see the system works so well. First we are told that we cannot take our protected industraial action due to the slanderous comments made by the company in the recent commision hearing. We are told to work as usual and do what is the norm with regard to o/time and the normal extra shifts or face the prospect of non protected action.

Then just to rub it in they once again do as they please and cancel casual rostered days. I know this sounds strange but the point is we are bound why arn't they also bound to leave things as they are until this is resolved one way or another in the 2 week grace period.
Another sign of good faith on the companys part.

IF there was any doubt that this now a multi national company and there is no regard for the individual this surely must prove it.

We are all just a number now.
eba
Have YOUR say

Postby eba » Tue Jul 22 2008, 22:09

Remember that "collectively" we are bound. Individually you have always had the right to accept/reject casual days. This is still the case. You just make sure that the reason you are refusing the casual day is individual and personal and in no way reflects a stance as a result of industrial action.

My family needs me at the moment as I am very busy at home, my wife and kids are sick, I have many appointments with contractors etc and therefore I can't do casual days. This is my right as an individual and has nothing to do with the industrial situation. The legal arguements occuring still don't remove the requirement for "mutual agreement" on casual days and roster changes.

Return to “EBA Discussion”