B2 Lame

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Footstomp

B2 Lame

Postby Footstomp » Mon May 16 2016, 09:41

G'day guys,
Just chasing some approx figures for a B2 Lame hourly rate contracting in remote locations? Happy for pm's
Thanks
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: B2 Lame

Postby choppermech1986 » Tue May 17 2016, 02:32

Excuse my ignorance, what can a B2 LAME do that a B1 LAME can't? Can you get aircraft type ratings on a B2 license? Is it for coneheads? I've only got A3, A4 and B1.1 thru 4 :cry:
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Tue May 17 2016, 06:36

choppermech1986 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, what can a B2 LAME do that a B1 LAME can't? Can you get aircraft type ratings on a B2 license? Is it for coneheads? I've only got A3, A4 and B1.1 thru 4 :cry:

A B2 LAME is Radio, Electrical and Instruments (Coneheads).

Yes you need a type rating for most aircraft over 5700kg or anything that has a complex system that requires a specific course e.g. Some/most glass cockpit King Airs use the Pro Line 21 Avionics suite which requires a B2 to do their specific course. Depending on the fit out, a King Air can actually fall below 5700kg but would still require the specific system course PT6/Pro Line 21 to be able to maintain it although I don't know of any that are actually operating like this.

However B1's can get things added to their licences for e.g. If they are typed on a 737/A320 they could gain the authorisation to swap the avionics black boxes out and perform the system BITE during 'line' maintenance. An example of this would be QANTAS or Virgin maintainers doing this while the aircraft is being turned around for the next passenger flight.

Don't quote me on this as the Reg's have just changed again but I think if you are a B1 LAME working on Day VFR aircraft under 5700kg you can sign for electrical if it is on your licence. However Radio and IFR now needs to be a B2 unless you have done the required training and have the required authorisations on your licence also.

Another example would be the Bell 412EPI, I would think it would probably require a B2 to complete a systems course due to the glass cockpit/avionics suite.

There is a big push from maintenance training schools for both B1 and B2 licence holders to start to cross trade/licence through RPL and 'bridging' courses.

Hope this made some sense.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Tue May 17 2016, 18:57

Thanks for taking the time to reply Zeus, you seem to know the system very well! So what would a B2 LAME do contracting in remote locations if most of those privileges are under your B1 rating? I'm guessing it's the same kind of work that those old E, I and R guys used to do, carrying out pitot/static re-certifications and transponder checks as they would caravan their way across Australia?
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Wed May 18 2016, 00:17

I only know this because I am currently going through finalising my B2 licence (2 exams left!) yes my head hurts... a lot :?

You are correct basically the same as the old EI&R and there have been a few changes to CAO 100.5/Schedule 5 (I can't remember them at the moment). However don't forget ADS-B is now coming into play too, I doubt a mustering chopper will need to require that yet... But watch this space. A lot more GA aircraft including mustering choppers are getting GPS systems permanently fitted, which adds a bit more complexity e.g. software updates etc...

There is a need for B1 and B2 separation for larger aircraft due to the more complex Avionics suites being fitted and B1's saying it's 'black magic'... 8) As newer aircraft are becoming more and more digital, using Ethernet, Fibre Optics, etc for data transfer instead of old school wiring.

I would hazard a guess in saying it would probably cost a little more to convince a B2 to go bush for a little while too...
Queertrader

Postby Queertrader » Wed May 18 2016, 12:09

Forgetting the fundamentals of aircraft in the bush. Avionics in remote locations don't break. Best of luck finding a spot for your $100+ per hr signature in the Winnie Red Pack MR.
Small jobs are generally too dispersed and the invoice blowout in travel is rarely well received. Bigger jobs for fixed wing may as well come to the coast or nearest regional service hub. Most of what's out that way is basic radio/ transponder install and 100.5's. Not many B2s are fighting over it. And not many going into early retirement because they have too much money and a life to live either.
Footstomp

Postby Footstomp » Thu May 19 2016, 10:08

Thanks guys

Return to “Pay”