Travel Allowance

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Travel Allowance

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Mar 26 2017, 09:26

A few 'hypotheticals' here in regards to Travel Allowance. If you are paid a salary above the award, is it legal to be paid below the suggested rates for bona fide Travel Allowances?
From an operators view point, other than more money in your back pocket, Travel allowance would come in under an expense for tax purposes wouldn't it?

Cheers
Rotary_Rambo

Re: Travel Allowance

Postby Rotary_Rambo » Sun Mar 26 2017, 09:29

I think its up to the company.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sun Mar 26 2017, 10:13

Last edited by heli2o on Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Hircher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hircher » Sun Mar 26 2017, 10:41

I thought if they paid under the ATOs travel rates it means it's easier to claim back travel expenses.
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Sun Mar 26 2017, 20:34

The company can pay whatever travel allowance it likes (including nothing at all) unless there is an amount specifically mentioned in your contract or EBA. There is no ATO minimum or mandatory amount. The ATO lays down a MAXIMUM amount, depending on location and salary band. If you receive less than the maximum daily amount it does not need to appear on your annual salary statement or tax return and you don't have to prove expenditure or provide receipts to the ATO. If you receive more than the ATO recommended maximum or if you try to claim higher than the ATO limit you may be asked to justify it. Most, if not all companies are aware of the ATO limit and will pay less. Ideally you should receive just slightly under the daily limit. The bigger companies (CHC, Bristow, etc) will specify the amount in their EBA, and it will be close to the ATO limit. It's one of the big advantages of touring- tax free $$!
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Mar 26 2017, 20:53

There is mention of it in the award. Page 23.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/docume ... 000046.pdf

I don't know of any company outside the Oil and Gas world that pay anywhere near this.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Mar 26 2017, 20:56

Jabberwocky wrote:There is mention of it in the award. Page 23.

I don't know of any company outside the Oil and Gas world that pay anywhere near this.

When I was touring for Heliwest they paid the full ATO amount for DTA, unless you were at a full service mining camp where everything was provided then you were paid incidentals etc.

Was a nice change for a smallish company to pay the full allowances.
Last edited by havick on Sun Mar 26 2017, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Sun Mar 26 2017, 21:01

Sorry, have never been paid under the Pilot's Award (or even read it!) so I was not aware there was a travel allowance specified. My post above therefore only applies to those working under an EBA or contract outside of the Award.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Mar 27 2017, 01:35

havick wrote:

When I was touring for Heliwest they paid the full ATO amount for DTA, unless you were at a full service mining camp where everything was provided then you were paid incidentals etc.

Probably why we're all trying to get a job there ;) But I agree, nice to hear they pay it, it's a decent reflection on their respect for their employees.

Dauphin wrote:Sorry, have never been paid under the Pilot's Award (or even read it!) so I was not aware there was a travel allowance specified. My post above therefore only applies to those working under an EBA or contract outside of the Award.

Can only be so lucky Dauphin, no need to apologise :)

Original question still stands, if the award is surpassed, can the award amounts for TA be ignored?

2.2 The monetary obligations imposed on employers by this award may be absorbed into
overaward payments. Nothing in this award requires an employer to maintain or
increase any overaward payment.
Rotary_Rambo

Postby Rotary_Rambo » Mon Mar 27 2017, 01:58

Jabberwocky wrote:
havick wrote:

Probably why we're all trying to get a job there ;) But I agree, nice to hear they pay it, it's a decent reflection on their respect for their employees.

Dauphin wrote:Sorry, have never been paid under the Pilot's Award (or even read it!) so I was not aware there was a travel allowance specified. My post above therefore only applies to those working under an EBA or contract outside of the Award.

Can only be so lucky Dauphin, no need to apologise :)

Original question still stands, if the award is surpassed, can the award amounts for TA be ignored?

2.2 The monetary obligations imposed on employers by this award may be absorbed into
overaward payments. Nothing in this award requires an employer to maintain or
increase any overaward payment.

Indeed, a company that respects its employeers is a rare gem to find
null
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby null » Mon Mar 27 2017, 02:04

If the Award applies in this case then ALL the provisions of the award apply. The pay scales in the award are MINIMUM amounts, if you are paid above that then other provisions still apply at the relevant rates.

The only time that allowances could be reduced because of payment rates above the award is if there is an Individual Flexibility Agreement (IFA) or Enterprise Bargain Agreement (EBA) in place. This cannot be done unilaterally but must be with the agreement of both parties and the BOOT (Better Off Overall Test) will apply.

Have a look at Fairwork site, quite easy to read and understand.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Mar 27 2017, 07:40

Cheers Null. I'll have a read.

Return to “Pay”