junior Grade 2 Instructor Pay

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Stresscentral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

junior Grade 2 Instructor Pay

Postby Stresscentral » Fri Jan 21 2011, 02:16

Morning all.

Just interested to know what people think is the going rate for a junior grade 2 instructor.

Wanna know if it worth doing the rating.

Thank you
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: junior Grade 2 Instructor Pay

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Jan 21 2011, 02:31

Blue chip stocks and/or a house deposit might prove to be a better investment...depends on your career path and where you see yourself ending up.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Jan 21 2011, 02:53

Recent rates I’ve heard range from $42K (WTF?) - $55K (more like it) for permanent (Hols, paid even when Wx prevents flying etc)
Casual – From $250/day
This for Junior GIIs.
Expect these rates to fall if the GIII gets up, which I heard it has? (1. Sorry, couldn’t help myself. 2. Can anyone confirm the GIII is an unfortunate reality now?)

$kyPay :cool_slp:
splash_wing
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby splash_wing » Fri Jan 21 2011, 03:32

I don't know anyone who's paying those rates in Australia for a junior Grade 2, but they're a long way above anything I've seen !!
Becoming an instructor is not a financially worthwhile exercise, at least until you have significant runs on the board. Think Grade 1
with NVFR and turbine time, and you'll start to make some reasonable money.

An employer who wanted to poach me away from my current gig, recently offered me $100 less per day for instructing than
for charter flying ! Derrrr ... so they're still looking for a new Grade 1, of course !

The Grade 3 is a bloody good idea. Not sure why you don't like it SP. Any particular reason ?
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Fri Jan 21 2011, 03:48

Just checked the CASA website and the current CAO 40.3.7 only lists G1 and G2 as a rating, so if it is approved, it is not yet in circulation.
Stresscentral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Stresscentral » Fri Jan 21 2011, 03:56

Thanks guys so far.

Skypig $42000?????? You must be joking.

bl@ckers You dont think the rates Skypig mentioned are doable. s#!t better save my money and stay put.

$250 a day sounds ok to me though.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Jan 21 2011, 04:03

I don't know anyone who's paying those rates in Australia for a junior Grade 2, but they're a long way above anything I've seen !!
Becoming an instructor is not a financially worthwhile exercise, at least until you have significant runs on the board. Think Grade 1
with NVFR and turbine time, and you'll start to make some reasonable money.

An employer who wanted to poach me away from my current gig, recently offered me $100 less per day for instructing than
for charter flying ! Derrrr ... so they're still looking for a new Grade 1, of course !

As indicated – those rates are being offered around, right now. Maybe you are from the Sydney Basin? It’s a different world there.

The Grade 3 is a bloody good idea. Not sure why you don't like it SP. Any particular reason ?

There is an extensive thread on why some people think it’s a good idea, and plenty of evidence it’s a terrible idea.

Think
“Becoming an instructor is not a financially worthwhile exercise”
and the GIII will drag it back towards FW rates.

Sky "can of worms" Pig 8)
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Jan 21 2011, 04:44

Splash wing, so a grade one with nvfr is going to get you good money.
How are you going to do that if you don't start at grade 2????????????????
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Jan 21 2011, 04:55

The thread that Skypig refers to is below and has some good arguments for and against (seemingly more against):

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2795&hilit=grade+3+instructor+rating

By the way, if you'd put $20k (same amount as an instructor rating) into FMG (Fortescue Metals Group) around 6 months ago you'd have doubled your money....

Blue chip stocks held for 6 months, maybe double your money on your investment plus dividends...

or

Grade 2 Instructor rating, maybe/should increase your pay a few thousand a year...just need to hang in for the long run to get the hours

Again, it depends on where you see yourself ending up in years to come...ie 1,3,5,10 years in the future.

Ferrari "devils advocate on a Friday, "retire rich, not poor" Flyer

PS I know money doesn't buy you happiness, but Samuel L Jackson did say it buys you a far superior form of misery.
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Fri Jan 21 2011, 05:15

I'm a grade II instructor, and where I work the opening rate is $55000, plus holidays. More Experience = more money.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Stresscentral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Stresscentral » Fri Jan 21 2011, 05:23

Bedouin Prince wrote:I'm a grade II instructor, and where I work the opening rate is $55000, plus holidays. More Experience = more money.

Well that seems more along the lines of a decent starting wage as an instructor.

Got any jobs going there?
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Fri Jan 21 2011, 05:29

For what its worth...if you intend on staying in the flying game for the long haul why wouldn't you do it? Yes, there will be an initial outlay and a bight of the poo sandwich may be required however, surely the more skill sets you have and the more versatile you are the better?

I wouldn't be over here in the sandpit on tax free dosh flying a nice machine if i hadn't had an instructor rating (just my personal circumstances)! :D

My two cents and all the best.

Balls
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Jan 21 2011, 06:40

ballslapper, I too would not be flying nice aircraft with a good pay packet if not for the instructor rating.
And yes I also had the odd brown snack before moving on.
So stresscentral, go ahead and do it, don't listen to the doomsdayers, some of them also hold instructor ratings.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Stresscentral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Stresscentral » Fri Jan 21 2011, 06:45

hand in pants wrote:ballslapper, I too would not be flying nice aircraft with a good pay packet if not for the instructor rating.
And yes I also had the odd brown snack before moving on.
So stresscentral, go ahead and do it, don't listen to the doomsdayers, some of them also hold instructor ratings.

Yeah think I will go ahead as long as I can avoid the companies who only pay $42000 Lol.

The $55000 and $250 a day companies I need to speak to.

If any of you dont mind telling me who these companies are PM.

Thanx
old coot

Postby old coot » Fri Jan 21 2011, 06:51

A slight deviation off the subject ,What would one expect for a grade 1 heli ag pilot on short term contract ?
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Jan 21 2011, 07:04

Stresscentral, here is a hint,
http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3376

There is another post where they are holding an open day at Toowoomba this weekend if that is closer to you than Perth.
Or drop into Jandakot next week.

I only have 15 hours left to go on my rating, here's hoping! **^**

Sorry old coot, I'll leave that to someone else.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
splash_wing
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby splash_wing » Fri Jan 21 2011, 07:58

Maybe you are from the Sydney Basin?

No. Right now I'm sitting in the sun on a station in outback Queensland. I'm out here doing some PPLs, with (obviously) full travel/accomodation/food/internet/etc ... plus collecting my full normal pay and additional allowances which are going straight into the bank, since I have no bills to pay at the moment :-) But you can't do that if you're a junior (or senior) Grade 2 - gotta be a Grade 1.

I politely and regretfully declined over $100k to instruct at a very reputable Australian company just 6 months ago. It was very tempting, but not quite tempting enough. But you can't get that if you're a Grade 2.

How are you going to do that if you don't start at grade 2????????????????

Oh dear, I didn't say you shouldn't start; I said "becoming an instructor is not a financially worthwhile exercise, at least until you have significant runs on the board." If you're going to do it, don't expect a decent return without putting in a lot of hard yards and more cold hard cash after the large initial financial investment.

The cheapest helicopter instructor rating I know of in Australia at the moment will set you back about $18000, and the most expensive around $27000. As FerrariFlyer says, there are a lot better financial investments !

Don't become an instructor for the money or the hours; Become one because your heart is in it and you're bloody good at it.
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Fri Jan 21 2011, 08:35

It's a shame the Grade 2 pay is Low and I guess the grade 3 salary will be even lower so there is no incentive for experienced pilots to become instructors. I would like to instruct but the pay cut and the cost of the training would set me back years financially.
IFR

Postby IFR » Fri Jan 21 2011, 09:57

I find this a topic worth commenting on. Not too long ago I was looking into doing my instructor rating through Heliwest, the cost was near 25k by the time you throw in a flight test at the end of it all, and a job (if I was worthy enough) was paying 45k. So, I guess Bedouin Prince, you must be pretty good :wink:
While Im putting in my two cents worth, I agree with you Ray.
Cheers
IFR
Stresscentral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Stresscentral » Fri Jan 21 2011, 10:30

IFR wrote: and a job (if I was worthy enough) was paying 45k. So, I guess Bedouin Prince, you must be pretty good :wink:
While Im putting in my two cents worth, I agree with you Ray.
Cheers
IFR

A person I know enquired about the Toowoomba gig and was told that $55000 was the go for a new grade 2?

$10000 difference? How come?

Return to “Pay”