Engineers pay

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Engineers pay

Postby black duck » Mon May 9 2011, 22:35

On the news this morning comments from a Quantas rep. regarding the Engineers pay dispute. “ Our engineers are highly skilled professionals and are paid well $120K per year plus super” ???? :roll: lets put that into context. The average wage is what $80K? Our deckies get paid more than $120K with no responsibility (thank God!). So what are the Engineers asking for? 5% annually for 5 years. Not too big an ask I thought.
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Engineers pay

Postby Pegs » Mon May 9 2011, 22:48

spoken like a true engineer :D

but seriously, yes you wouldn't think too much to ask, I noted that Qantas said they thought the strike action was "extremely disappointing" and yet they did nothing to prevent it? IE come to an agreement without needing strike action! Of course the threat lying over our Aussie engineers heads is Qantas could shift the rest of their maintenance overseas, Oc:= still you would think that would prove expensive for the domestic sector, even with a wage increase for 1200 engineers.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Kiwieng
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kiwieng » Tue May 10 2011, 07:38

All good and well when you work for a the Airlines, I know of LAMEs working on 212/412s who are on a lowly 65k a year.
Pay for Engineers throughout the rotary industry is embarrassing considering the work involved to get qualified, Those that do make the good coin are making lifestyle sacrifices to do so. I've worked for Qantas (as a contract Engineer) and have seen the bludging that goes on within certain circles, So its no surprise that an agreement can't be reached.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue May 10 2011, 09:47

Wish I could find 212/412 lame's willing to work for that much(little). It would halve my engineering staff costs. Are you talking NZ$ or real$$$, I'll be able to tell all my engineers that... :lol:

I am guessing that you are talking a fully rated, certified 212/412 lame?

A lot of pilots would be happy to get $65k... :shock:
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Tue May 10 2011, 12:08

The Engineers are going on strike. The Pilots are going on strike and going by the flight out of Karratha this arvo, the aircraft have already gone on strike!! :lol:
I guess comparing marine and aviation is a bit apples and oranges. But the level of professionalism and responsibility that is required by both pilots and engineers, in all levels of aviation is not reflected in their remuneration. If you could see some of the oxygen thieves I have to work with that are on top dollar!! Well...There is no justice in this world.
Ooops I think I may have just opened up a festering sore! :shock: Sorry :oops:
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Kulwin Park » Wed May 11 2011, 08:57

Those that do make the good coin are making lifestyle sacrifices to do so.

HEAR-HEAR .. SO TRUE !!!!

Why do all the average paid engineers have to work for so little, to keep the rich happy! The industry is doing itself injustice because it will not attract new mechanical or electrical talent to the industry by paying so little. As someone mentioned above, there are "Oxygen Thieves" out there that have no qualifications, but are in a highly paid position, with no responsibility, and working in a clean risk-free safe environment. I keep shaking my head at this, but it will not change. Applause goes out to the operators that actually pay the decent $$$,$$$.oo Hours may be not the norm, but some prefer this to enjoy time with their family and kids.
NoMoneyz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NoMoneyz » Sat May 14 2011, 03:17

Guess my name suggests what industry im trying to get work in... :lol:

Return to “Pay”