Low Hour, Australian Pilot.

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Low Hour, Australian Pilot.

Postby AuzPilot » Thu Aug 4 2011, 11:06

Hello just wondering if anyone could help a
low hourd pilot or know of any openings
or jobs that are coming up or which operators
to call or drop a cv off to , any advice or
recomandations would help me alot

Thanks For Your Time Guys

Regards AuzPilot :wink:
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Low Hour ,Austrlian Pilot

Postby skypig » Thu Aug 4 2011, 11:29

I wuz wondering the samme thing, but from an Australian perspective.

Sky "lowest form of wit" Pig 8) 8)
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Aug 4 2011, 11:33

I know some incrediblt capable people who have different forms of dyslexia, always worried me how they wright down the wirght coarse cross coumtry.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Thu Aug 4 2011, 12:22

This must be a wind up!
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Bigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 4 2011, 13:13

AuzPilot wrote: any advice or
recomandations would help me alot

Thanks For Your Time Guys

Regards AuzPilot :wink:

Dude, if english is not your best skill set, my advice is to write your post in a word document, correct the grammar and spelling errors, then cut and paste into the topic.

Im not giving you a serve mate, you may be the best damn pilot out there and a great worker, but your just not getting off on the front foot with poor grammar and spelling. With this industry, getting to interview is the hardest step sometimes.

Also why don't you post what skills you have thus far, a low hour pilot is around 500 in my thinking, so:

How many hours are we talking,
What endorsements do you hold,
Are the hours turbine or piston,
What experience have you gained so far?

Good luck mate, I wish you a safe and rich flying career.
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AuzPilot » Fri Aug 5 2011, 06:07

Yeah sorry for the grammar I was in a rush when I wrote it, so
Sorry about that

Total hours 400 only piston hours
Endorsements, Sling, Night Vfr, Mountain, Low Flying and looking at Agriculture Rating
Type Ratings R44 R22 H300 most type hours on R44 in Remote Work and Sling with 100ft + line work

Please no piss taking I was only wanting advise or help on this topic not a English lesson

Kind Regards AuzPilot
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Fri Aug 5 2011, 07:41

Now that is what I like to see. A newbie who can muck up (albeit only with grammar), take the hit from an experienced campaigner like Sky Been-Around-So-Much-They-Call-Me-A-Pro Pig and come back with some spine & a touch of humility. Nice. Sorry I can't help you fellah, but good luck anyway.

No comment on the 'advise' from me. Maybe the Grammar Nazis will strike though... (Yeah, I am a bit of a grammar nazi myself, truth be told....)
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Aug 5 2011, 08:18

Yeah sorry for the grammar I was in a rush when I wrote it, so
Sorry about that

Total hours 400 only piston hours
Endorsements, Sling, Night Vfr, Mountain, Low Flying and looking at Agriculture Rating
Type Ratings R44 R22 H300 most type hours on R44 in Remote Work and Sling with 100ft + line work

Please no piss taking I was only wanting advise or help on this topic not a English lesson

Kind Regards AuzPilot

I agree with Muppet, well done.
And in return, I offer this:-

You have to decide where you want to go. It would appear from the experience so far, you are heading for Utility/Ag at this stage. (so forget ATPL/IREX for the time being)

I'd suggest that a little more Total time and some turbine would be the next step. Personally I'd be looking for an operator with R44s and Turbines, even on say Tourist operations (The ideal would be an operator involved in Utility and Ag with R44 (for your “start”, and a turbine to progress to).

Suggestions include Web Helicopters, Emerald and Heliwest, Perth (Neither of these operators are endorsed without reservation. :? )
There is a tourist operator at the 12 Apostles, Vic that fits the bill as well.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Sky “Misunderstood” Pig 8) 8)
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 5 2011, 09:31

Crikey.....I wonder how many mustering pilots out there that cannot spell 'cow' ??
Bigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bigdog » Fri Aug 5 2011, 10:07

essie wrote:I don't mean to nitpick Bigdog, or turn it into a spelling lesson, but when you give someone a serve about spelling ('your' instead of 'you're') you're really asking for it.

Essie - fair cop! I see my error. But I'm not looking for a job so I guess I'm happy with my inadequacy!
But to the original poster; bloody well done mate, you are now not just a low hour pilot! Your a bloke with a track record and proven skill set. I'm sure after now enlightening us all on who you are, your potential for employment is far greater! Good luck mate and remember never substitute quality for a rush job! Especially if it's the only step in the door you have!! That rule not only applies in the written word but in the sky as well!
Fly to fly again!
FatBoy1971
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FatBoy1971 » Fri Aug 5 2011, 10:28

essie wrote:I don't mean to nitpick Bigdog, or turn it into a spelling lesson, but when you give someone a serve about spelling ('your' instead of 'you're') you're really asking for it.

Come on, leave him alone!! He used to own a BMW, and now likes HSV!! I suppose it is because they are easier to spell!!

FatBoy
To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Fri Aug 5 2011, 13:04

Hey Auz, hang in there mate. I'm in the same situation as yourself and you have yourself a much better situation with the number of hours.

I'd suggest do a bit of a road trip, go and visit people and just say g'day. Don't pressure operators for a job but give them a bit of a hint that you are available. Call them first and tell them that you're coming to say g'day.

Be patient and be persistant. treat every meeting with someone as a job interview, even if it's one of the line pilots because you could end up working for them later down the track.

With the right attitude and the willingness to put the hard yards in, you'll find yourself there in no time.

Oh and I'd also recommend getting a "LinkedIn" online profile. In this day and age it's always good to put your own good name out there online.

hang in there mate and good luck!
vicious_fishes

Postby vicious_fishes » Thu Feb 21 2013, 14:37

hey folks,

similiar boat to the OP and found this thread via search. i've wanted to be a chopper pilot for quite some time now and have been doing the research as far as training etc goes to get my commercial licence.

thing is every ad i see is looking for several hundred hour (or a couple thousand) plus. there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for new/fresh/whatever you want to call them pilots.

can you guys help me out by any chance? am i just looking in the wrong places or???
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AuzPilot » Thu Feb 21 2013, 16:46

Atleast I can say I am a happily payed pilot now with out any bugger running me down, which is a nice thought now
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Feb 21 2013, 19:15

say again as they used to - although wagga wagga - wagga wagga usually slows them down.
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Feb 21 2013, 20:34

i remember having a major blue with the local postmaster once. His mail sorters kept getting the mail mixed up because of dyslexia. When I boned him about it he said they can't discriminate in the workplace. I said, "you bloody dill, how could a helicopter company employ someone with no arms to fly a helicopter/" The dyslexic person left and we started getting our mail again.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu Feb 21 2013, 23:13

AuzPilot wrote:Atleast I can say I am a happily payed pilot now with out any bugger running me down, which is a nice thought now

"At least" is two words not one........
liveline
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby liveline » Thu Feb 21 2013, 23:35

Has this person Applied to my job requests ?
Cheers Liveline
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AuzPilot » Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:38

Who are you talking about liveline ? Cheers mate I will come to you for a English lesson now :L
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:26

AuzPilot wrote:Who are you talking about liveline ? Cheers mate I will come to you for a English lesson now :L

Liveline posted wanting to recruit 6 low time pilots for HAWCS. He might be a bit busy to learn you English. :wink:

Return to “Pay”