Help, quickly...

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
rotormech
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Help, quickly...

Postby rotormech » Tue Sep 27 2011, 07:07

Hey guys, real quick question with, no doubt, a really long answer.

Just recently been offered a job in PNG as an engineer, but am tossing up whether it's gonna be worth my to go, or stay in Australia.

My question is though, as I've never worked in PNG, I have no idea what the go is with paying tax.
I know my before tax annual salary, paid in Australian dollars, but I am none the wiser as to whether I am required to pay PNG tax, Australian tax, or even both... Also, this job has no paid DTA, as the touring accomodation is all in camps. Does anyone know if you can claim your DTA (ie meal allowances, incidentals etc) that I wont be getting paid, as a tax deduction on the sly, here in Aus??

HELP
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Help, quickly...

Postby pohm1 » Tue Sep 27 2011, 07:17

I'm sure you'll get some well meaning advice, but the best advice you can follow is talk to an accountant. It might cost you $100, but it will be well worth it.

P1
Abaddon
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Abaddon » Tue Sep 27 2011, 07:27

I spent a few years in the UK and this is my understanding of how it works.

If your away for a full tax year then you pay the foreign countries tax only.

If your away for a partial tax year then you are supposed to declare what you earned and the aussie government refunds you the tax paid to the foreign country then taxes you under the aussie tax rates. Depending on where you are you can be better or worse off. In the UK you get rorted as the VAT (similar to GST) its 17% instead of 10% so you pay more tax all the time but the income tax is less. The system does not take that into account.

I have heard allot of people go "backpacking" for those partial tax years.
driftwood
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby driftwood » Tue Sep 27 2011, 07:32

I do remember you starting a post about getting work in PNG, nice one that you picked something up. The best thing to do is talk to the company who made the offer. I think the tax rate is a flat 40% in PNG and all the companies have different ways of navigating it so you are'nt disadvantaged.
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Tue Sep 27 2011, 08:01

We are currently looking for engineers and avionics people.
Life on the Sunshine Coast beats the hell out of PNG.
email yippy@beckerhelicopters.com
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Tue Sep 27 2011, 08:08

Mike , I think the lure to PNG is the almighty dollar !! Saying that I have resisted the urge to go.... :lol:
Redlining in neutral
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Tue Sep 27 2011, 08:56

The income tax rate in PNG is 42%. Due to the "Tax Equalisation policy" of our beloved ATO, if you remain an Australian for taxation purposes & earn an income overseas, this income & tax paid must be declared when you lodge your tax return. If the tax you paid overseas is greater than what you would have been liable for had you earnt that money in Australia, then you don't have to pay the ATO. If you paid less tax overseas than you would have in Australia, you owe the ATO the difference. Basically PNG tax is higher than Australia, so if you bank on paying 42% PNG tax you should be able to work out your take home pay.

If you're serious about the job, take Pohm1's advice & see an accountant.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Quick Release » Tue Sep 27 2011, 11:03

Good luck with the new start mate if you chose to go.
All companies are different in the way they pay you.
If you tour and you are on salary then the company, if they have the connection will pay you 50/50 in country and out, your PNG tax rate 41% is then off set in your tax return in Oz,
you have to pay tax in Oz in order to have something to off set it with (makes sense), if you pay no tax in oz then its easy to work out.
other companies pay you in PNG only and increase your gross to give you a satisfactory take home pay or one your happy with.
Some tell you to suck it up :lol: (not funny i know, sorry)

End of the day talk to your employer, it wont be the first time he/she would have been asked, and as other post said, see an accountant so you dont have any surprises, it would be money well spent, but i would start with the employer so as you can inform the accountant and givem accurate figures and system type.

Good offer there from Mr Becker!

Return to “Pay”