Vicpol Airwing Pay and conditions

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Vicpol Airwing Pay and conditions

Postby havick » Mon Oct 8 2012, 02:36

baffler, i think he's referring to hours flown.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
OWAP
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby OWAP » Tue Oct 9 2012, 08:26

Nice reply PP. I thought you would have answered the flight hours question but a cat must have your tongue.

From what I hear around the 200 to 300 hour mark is what you can expect.
SICK HORSEY
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SICK HORSEY » Tue Oct 9 2012, 18:23

Sounds like you need a few shifts in the FCC to sort that attitude PP! Try a few right orbits to unwind! :D

OWAP, lose the "O"......you don't wanna be mistaken for one of those blokes! :twisted:

Outstanding work re the cat BTW.

SH.
OWAP
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby OWAP » Wed Oct 10 2012, 01:48

Sick,

If I may call you that, or would you prefer Mr Horsey, I should add TF to it now I guess.

(TF)OWAP
ejectionswitch

Postby ejectionswitch » Sun Nov 18 2012, 03:33

Do u need an endorsement/ time on type (ec135, dauphin) to get a job at vicpol?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Nov 18 2012, 04:08

no time on type required... the advert doesn't ask for it, and previous pilots employed didn't have it either..
ejectionswitch

Postby ejectionswitch » Tue Nov 20 2012, 03:05

Is there a bond/ time commitment for a new endorsement?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 20 2012, 03:25

No bond for endorsements..
HeviHR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeviHR » Fri Feb 8 2013, 11:16

I had a look at the job application docs and this is the crux of it:

Please respond to the following 6 KSC in your written application.
Within your written application respond to the following key selection criteria using the Transfer and Promotion Applicant Guidelines – Constable and Senior Constable, which provides practical workplace examples.

Employs Policing Skills

• Performs police duties

• Responds to incidents *

• Preserves scenes and undertakes investigations *

Supports Tasking & Coordination

• Aware of unit direction

• Undertakes tasks as directed

• Responds to change

Achieves Results

• Manages own work and correspondence

• Applies and develops professional expertise of self

• Effective decision making

Establishes Productive Working Relationships

• Treats everyone with respect

• Develops internal and external relationships

• Shares learning and supports others

Communicates Effectively

• Communicates clearly & effectively

• Communicates in a professional manner

• Negotiates confidently
Displays Personal Drive and Integrity

• Demonstrates self-awareness and a commitment to personal development

• Behaves professionally and ethically

• Displays resilience

• Manages all official information appropriately and securely

...and this:

you will need to write short statements that sell your specific capabilities for each of the criteria. It is important to include specific examples or situations where you have demonstrated the behaviour, knowledge, skills and personal qualities asked for in the job selection criteria. Perhaps you have worked in a related field or industry or have private interests that are relevant. Take all of these things into account when responding to job selection criteria.

...and do all of that in only 5 typed pages.

I was flabberghasted that the Key Selection Criteria were completely silent on operational aspects of flying helicopters, and the focus was entirely on all this superfluous Public Service hogwash. I was interested in applying for the position (I have 2 years experience flying Police Ops for the AFP), so I sat down today to compose my responses to the KSC and I thought "why bother". For anybody who does submit themselves to the process here, good luck.

Can I just suggest to anybody who might read this and have some influence on the application process, have a re-think of everything. I don't care about the money, I'd do the job for the basic Award @ $60k/year (or whatever it is) because I just like "operational" flying. But I'm not going to strain my brain with such a tedious process.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Fri Feb 8 2013, 12:35

"But I'm not going to strain my brain with such a tedious process."

Why would they change the procedure just to attract candidates who can't be bothered to fill out an application form? It will take an hour of your life to get the chance to do the kind flying you enjoy. With your experience you would probably be a good prospect.

P1
HeviHR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeviHR » Fri Feb 8 2013, 12:45

Being familiar with Police/EMS/Govt Pilot application processes outside Victoria, my point remains that the focus of the KSC for the VicPol Pilot position, and the absence of any mention of flying aspects and experience in there, is "unique". What I mean to say is the process is familiar, but the focus is unique.
BennyG
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby BennyG » Sat Feb 9 2013, 03:05

HeviHR wrote:I don't care about the money, I'd do the job for the basic Award @ $60k/year (or whatever it is) because I just like "operational" flying.

And people wonder why the overall pay and conditions of the industry isn't where it should be... Good work.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Feb 9 2013, 06:02

As curious as it sounds for someone possessing ME, SPIFR skills and experience suggesting that they would perform such a role for such a low amount let us not turn this thread into a wage debate.
HeviHR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeviHR » Sun Feb 10 2013, 01:30

I have been working in this Industry for 20+ years, both in Australia and overseas, and the 2 common denominators I have found in that time are: 1, the employer will always screw you if they can; and 2, there is always someone close-by who will say "good morning" to you but then try and stab you in the back to their advantage if they can.

I've probably worked for 8 or 9 companies over my career and they have ALL (except for 1 or 2) stiffed me on pay or allowances or have done back-flips on what was agreed, particularly at time of separation. And regarding my other point, there are no exceptions.

Over time I've grown to understand that's just the way it is, I don't let it trouble me any more. And I don't complain about anything, I've learned to keep my mouth shut and roll with the punches. What hasn't changed is my love of the flying, so long as the aircraft is maintained to a standard where it's (hopefully) not going to fall out of the sky. Which is why I say I don't particularly care about the pay, just as long as it's the Award rate or better because I have a fundamental difficulty doing otherwise (just as I have a fundamental difficulty with my wife getting paid $12/hour to work on a public holiday when the Award rate in her Industry is $36/hour, but she won't do anything about it).

So if anybody wants to have a shot at me for working for the minimum and not pursuing better entitlements etc so be it. I don't care. I just like flying.
BennyG
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby BennyG » Sun Feb 10 2013, 10:19

HeviHR,

Maybe some people like working in hospitality and are happy to work for $12 an hour on a Sunday... That's kinda how the rest of us feel with people who are happy to work for the minimums or below. Just because people like their job doesn't mean they should work cheaply!

Cheers,
Ben
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Practice » Mon Jul 21 2014, 06:17

Another position advertised last week. See the AFAP website
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Mon Jul 21 2014, 07:33

Fine for some grizzling at 115k a year!!!
Redlining in neutral
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon Jul 21 2014, 21:53

I would grizzle if I was only on $115 a yr as well.

Return to “Pay”