Dick Smith Oration

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Dick Smith Oration

Postby up-into-the-air » Sat May 5 2018, 01:01

Dick Smith Oration

http://vocasupport.com/dick-smith-oration/

This was last Thursday 26th April 2018 in Wagga
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Dick Smith Oration

Postby Evil Twin » Sat May 5 2018, 02:16

Bloody good on Dick for standing up. He has my full support!
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sat May 5 2018, 03:46

Dick Smith was one of the main reasons I got into helicopter flying, I've met him personally on a few occasions over the years both here and abroad, he's always been a passionate, driven, motivated individual in respect to aviation and his numerous awards and achievements are testimony to his dogged determination. He has always held my respect.

I totally agree with his attempted re-write of the Act and it's regs. You couldn't find a better qualified individual to do so. I started flying way back when this absurd reg-reform started 20 or more years ago, having experienced both CASA and FAA regs and procedures I can say without hesitation that the US is light-years ahead of Australia when it comes to implementation and practicality in their helicopter industry. After coming back to Oz and trying to explain to fellow pilots here how logical, user friendly and practical the US system is, I was always greeted with sniggers and jeers....only to find that after many years of wasted $$, paper and effort, CASA has now adopted (and is continuing) to mirror the US example. Not one to gloat and say "I told ya so" but.....I TOLD YA SO!! :D

I can only hope that with these reforms, comes a paradigm shift in mindset and culture that has for too long festered and poisoned the Australian helicopter industry.
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat May 5 2018, 05:30

lowlevelhell wrote:Dick Smith was one of the main reasons I got into helicopter flying, I've met him personally on a few occasions over the years both here and abroad, he's always been a passionate, driven, motivated individual in respect to aviation and his numerous awards and achievements are testimony to his dogged determination. He has always held my respect.

I totally agree with his attempted re-write of the Act and it's regs. You couldn't find a better qualified individual to do so. I started flying way back when this absurd reg-reform started 20 or more years ago, having experienced both CASA and FAA regs and procedures I can say without hesitation that the US is light-years ahead of Australia when it comes to implementation and practicality in their helicopter industry. After coming back to Oz and trying to explain to fellow pilots here how logical, user friendly and practical the US system is, I was always greeted with sniggers and jeers....only to find that after many years of wasted $$, paper and effort, CASA has now adopted (and is continuing) to mirror the US example. Not one to gloat and say "I told ya so" but.....I TOLD YA SO!! :D

I can only hope that with these reforms, comes a paradigm shift in mindset and culture that has for too long festered and poisoned the Australian helicopter industry.

By mirror, you mean take the FAA regs by name (part numbers) only but not adopt the intent of the regs? Case in point, CASA introduces part 61, yet doesn’t allow independent instructors like in the FAA regs.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sun May 6 2018, 02:50

CASA seems to want to adopt EASA rules, rather than FAA.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun May 6 2018, 03:24

Fill-level wrote:CASA seems to want to adopt EASA rules, rather than FAA.

That's probably because of the over-zealous persecuting culture that prevails within CASA. The FAA system is much simpler and more user friendly though not without some problems, EMS help crashes for example however, that stems more from the ambulance chasing practices than a systemic problem with the rules.

The CASA rules suite is massively over complicated and unnecessarily wordy. In fact a case could probably be made that the difficult to follow and disjointed rules could lead to infractions and incidents.

No cost to industry.... Yeah Right!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun May 6 2018, 03:42

They’re cherry picking the ridiculous and onerous parts out of both FAA and EASA regs and moulding them together.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sun May 6 2018, 05:48

Evil Twin wrote:

That's probably because of the over-zealous persecuting culture that prevails within CASA. The FAA system is much simpler and more user friendly though not without some problems, EMS help crashes for example however, that stems more from the ambulance chasing practices than a systemic problem with the rules.

The CASA rules suite is massively over complicated and unnecessarily wordy. In fact a case could probably be made that the difficult to follow and disjointed rules could lead to infractions and incidents.

No cost to industry.... Yeah Right!

Couldn't agree more mate! I was about to go on a looooong rant but decided to hold my tongue! :twisted:
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sun May 6 2018, 07:33

So glad to be out of it now.

But in the last few years things were starting to get ridiculous - I had been flying formation since 1972, in the military days, but the Powers That Be decided that the logbook evidence wasn't good enough, I needed a certification from a Suitably Qualified Instructor to be allowed to teach it after some 40 years, and having taught it as an instructor since 1977. I then had to be checked by a rather junior instructor who had learned formation 6 weeks before (and very tame formation it was too!) , but had been ticked off as an instructor by the CFI. Unbelievable. Well, actually not unbelievable, it was simply unjustifiable. Very CA$A.

Similar with hoisting, sling loads (since 1973) low level, and other stuff that was every-day ops in the military.
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Mon May 7 2018, 04:27

Eric Hunt is spot on.

Blind leading the blind.

Amazing how someone who is very inexperienced, having low total time, and very immature can be Endorsed to instruct someone who is about to retire or worse giving instruction to someone more inexperienced than they are, who requires a particular endorsement, i.e. formation or low level -yet they have not once experienced flying at Night whilst Low Level and in Formation, Unaided, making takeoffs and landings to confined areas, minimum illumination, no Moon, Nav Lights on Dim, No landing Light (you know, tactical sh!t, before first generation NVGs were issued).

The insane over-regulation and requirement to have an Endorsement to one's Pilot Licence for anything that is not Straight and Level in Day VFR, is killing the Aviation industry, except for the big players and airlines.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon May 7 2018, 09:33

we had a similar situation in NZ. they bought in a rule that to be able to do Air Transport ops you had to have 5 hrs of PICUS, on ATO's. All well and good, but the supervising pilot only had to have a CPL, no instructor quals, no hr limits etc. So a 500hr cpl, has to sign off his Chief Pilot with 20,000hrs, and 14000hrs in that one helicopter, not the type, the actual helicopter....

no where could anyone explain to me where there was any increase in safety, or what we were accomplishing by getting everyone signed off like this, but we all had to go through the process, as there was a new rule, and now we all had to comply with it.

its never about safety, it is always about complying with a rule that someone dreamed up.

Return to “CASA”