Draft CAAP for Fatigue Management

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Draft CAAP for Fatigue Management

Postby chocolate » Wed Oct 29 2014, 22:33

Ok I have closely read the bloody thing.

It is largely a repeat of the cao, mostly in the same arrangement as the cao.

Please comment on the following so I can put as Many comments to casa as possible on this one.

1. The first 28 pages just needed editing.
Expand contents to something useful including appendixes and with links to that part of document.
Expand all those acronyms to make a sentence sensible!

2. Page 29 to 80 is appendixes. A lot of them should be in the main part of the document. Either under operator obligations or under individual obligations. So you can find your way easier.

3. Appendix c. Appendices limits and requirements. The rooles so to speak.
These would be so much easier to understand and use if they were as a flow chart. Start with simple appendix 1 basic limits chart, then one for appendix 2, etc then a flow chart for split duty. A flow chart for using multiple appendixes.

4. The hazard identification process for Tier 2 appendixes 2 to 6 is n unrealistic imposition on small businesses (up to 5 employees, or say less than 3 machines). Just like DAMP this needs an exemption. In my view if you are working to the limitations of the appendices you are working to what casa with their research has determined as a suitable risk mitigation for fatigue.
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby crow » Sun Nov 2 2014, 05:00

I would be interested to know how many accidents are attributed to fatigue.

Also one would think that private pilots would be just as likley to encounter fatigue, so why don't they have any restrictions.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Nov 2 2014, 09:04

The reason that there is no limits on private pilots, is because you are allowed to crash and kill your friends and family however you wish, on motorbikes, in a car or in an aircraft, you are free to make your own decisions.

The paying public have the right to be protected from idiot pilots that don't know the are stuffed, or idiot bosses that force their staff to work while they are fatigued.

I don't know if there have been any helicopter accidents attributed to fatigue, but I would bet that it's been a factor in a few.
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby crow » Sun Nov 2 2014, 13:16

So if you think along those lines any airwork like ag or mustering should have no flight and duty regulations .... Just saying.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Nov 2 2014, 18:26

There arent any in NZ, for that reason. You are only going to kill yourself.

Anytime you put a passenger in, you have limits.

Supposedly we can fly 24/7 if we want on Ag, lifting, fires, mustering, frost control etc, according to CAA.

However have an accident then you have OSH(occupational Safety and Health department) or whatever they have changed their name to this year, breathing down your neck.
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chocolate » Sun Nov 2 2014, 22:18

crow wrote:So if you think along those lines any airwork like ag or mustering should have no flight and duty regulations .... Just saying.

I agree Crow. For non passenger carrying ag work it should be present yourself fit, well a nd drug and alcohol free. Any employer who accepts or encourages less is in the wrong. However how often does that happen.mmm. There us always a need for someone to get in the pax seat for some short period of time.
FatBoy1971
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FatBoy1971 » Sun Nov 2 2014, 22:24

There is always the pressure in commercial operations, either perceived or real, to continue flying. Whether that be for extra money for yourself, or because the boss asked you nicely. Both employers and employees have a duty of care to ensure that they conduct business safely.
To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Return to “CASA”