Collection of Helicpoter Landing Sites on Google Earth

Got a good idea for Bladeslapper? Suggest it here.
Blinky_Phil
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Collection of Helicpoter Landing Sites on Google Earth

Postby Blinky_Phil » Tue Jan 27 2009, 12:23

Just wandering if any slappers would be interested in setting up a collection of 'bladeslapper helicopter landing sites around australia' on google earth.

I don't know what's involved with it. I guess just setting up a google earth community and then people posting their placemarks there. Does that sound right?
Vortex Bling

Re: Collection of Helicpoter Landing Sites on Google Earth

Postby Vortex Bling » Tue Jan 27 2009, 22:20

There's a collection of waypoints on http://rotorheads.com.au
They are mainly resorts and stuff, but others can be added through the contact link
Schweizerlovin

Postby Schweizerlovin » Tue Jul 27 2010, 08:01

That would be pretty awesome, google earth just keeps getting better.
Bionic_kid
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bionic_kid » Thu Jul 29 2010, 00:39

now what would be awesome with google earth would be an overlay with all the CTR boundries and routes etc for both IFR and VFR. Now that would make planning nav's a lot easier and with most phones having google maps/earth on there it could be a much cheaper solution to those expensive gps systems.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Jul 30 2010, 05:27

I would sooner use a sextant to a telecommunications network for "guidance".....I will take the GPS any day
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Fri Jul 30 2010, 05:31

Hello Pilots wrote:I would sooner use a sextant to a telecommunications network for "guidance".....I will take the GPS any day
Yeah if you with Telstra you'd be there before it finished down loading, for Bigpond read Joke!! )c/
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Fri Jul 30 2010, 22:30

black duck wrote:Yeah if you with Telstra you'd be there before it finished down loading, for Bigpond read Joke!!

There there BD won't have to put up with Bigpond's in-efficiency any longer after Wednesday! :D
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
made4trade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby made4trade » Sat Jul 31 2010, 06:44

Maybe going off thread slightly, but here is my story.

Departed in Military Restricted Airspace yesterday which was active and was cleared to to so. The Garmin 296 would not pick up any Sats'. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get it going I received a call from Pearce Departures clearing me from restricted airspace. Literally 2 seconds later the 296 was up and running.

I was just wondering is big brother jamming the signal through military airspace or was this purely co-incidental?
Bionic_kid
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bionic_kid » Sun Aug 1 2010, 04:41

made4trade wrote:Maybe going off thread slightly, but here is my story.

Departed in Military Restricted Airspace yesterday which was active and was cleared to to so. The Garmin 296 would not pick up any Sats'. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get it going I received a call from Pearce Departures clearing me from restricted airspace. Literally 2 seconds later the 296 was up and running.

I was just wondering is big brother jamming the signal through military airspace or was this purely co-incidental?

Sat Nav's work on inbound signals from 4 or more from geostationary satellites (usually 7) and it is a military system that civvie world have adopted. Jamming them would be counter productive as both military aircraft and ground personnel now use them for any navigation. Can I assume you didn't use that Sat nav to get to your take off point? If that is the case then it can take up to 10 minutes to locate the new satellites and work out relative positions thus triangulating you. The attempts to get it going (i assume turning it off and on again) restarted this process.

Regards
a gadget freak

Return to “Bladeslapper Suggestions (and gripes)”