Is this still Bladeslapper? or did it become....

Got a good idea for Bladeslapper? Suggest it here.
as350_nut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Is this still Bladeslapper? or did it become....

Postby as350_nut » Wed Jul 20 2011, 00:04

Hey guys, I dont know how many of you on here actually enjoy flying anymore as much as whingeing and bitching about who does what.
This site used to be awesome in the fact in was full of useful knowledge, advice, you could ask someone a question with out a smart bum answer (of course everyones partial to a bit of fun and we all like a laugh but at someones expense when there asking a legit question). Since when did it turn into a whingeing whining coffee group youd expect 40 year old midlife crisis mothers to be at bitching aboiut everything and anything possible.
Is it too far gone now to bring back some of the decent stuff on here, who gives a s**t who says what on the radio, if its funny, laugh. Dont whinge about it, llifes too short to give a s**t about that stuff.
Am I the only one who wants some decent convos back on here without all the BS (and not meaning Bladeslapper)
C'MON! Theres better stuff in life!!
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Is this still Bladeslapper? or did it become....

Postby Pegs » Wed Jul 20 2011, 01:59

as350_nut wrote:Hey guys, I dont know how many of you on here actually enjoy flying anymore as much as whingeing and bitching about who does what.
This site used to be awesome in the fact in was full of useful knowledge, advice, you could ask someone a question with out a smart bum answer (of course everyones partial to a bit of fun and we all like a laugh but at someones expense when there asking a legit question). Since when did it turn into a whingeing whining coffee group youd expect 40 year old midlife crisis mothers to be at bitching aboiut everything and anything possible.
Is it too far gone now to bring back some of the decent stuff on here, who gives a s**t who says what on the radio, if its funny, laugh. Dont whinge about it, llifes too short to give a s**t about that stuff.
Am I the only one who wants some decent convos back on here without all the BS (and not meaning Bladeslapper)
C'MON! Theres better stuff in life!!

AS350nut,
With respect I disagree with you about the posts of late being non conversational and being slanderous and bitchy. Further more I would like to congratulate the community on actually avoiding sending some threads into the gutter with name calling and slander and for once having a decent civilized debate with different opinions. For instance just a couple that come to mind are the cattle ban thread, this could have easily gone off the rails but despite views from both sides being offered it did not, also another thread about the crash in PNG although it got heated it stayed mostly on track.

There have been some newbies post questions of late and all where answered that I can recall, I know I spent a good 10 mins searching and posting relevant links to other threads for one person who came seeking help and info from the community and the other replies in the most part where also helpful and informative. There is a thread on here from a fella who had his job axed asking for help, the volume of replies and help he received (although still looking I believe?) ran onto two pages so far without a single derogatory remark.

I would sugest that you take one thread which also had some good points for newcomers to the flying world (IE correct sequence of proceedure for radio not just the correct proceedures) with a grain of salt, if it doesn't appeal to you then move onto something else that does. I got something out of that thread, and I consider myself very correct on the radio. In forums there is always going to be a certain measure of opinions that others won't like, will like, think is BS or think is helpful. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean someone else hasn't gotten something useful out of it.
Just my ten cents worth, carry on Bladeslapperians... :cool_slp:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
4real
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 4real » Wed Jul 20 2011, 02:39

Well said Pegs
jetty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jetty » Wed Jul 20 2011, 02:58

On online forums you will always get positives and negatives. Such is life.
Dont question, just accept, it's easier
The harder you work at it the harder it is to give up.
If it is to be it is up to me.
You attract what you are.
To question is to grow.
If you create a shadow, look at yourself.
Airbeater
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Airbeater » Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:30

I'm very new to the industry and to BS.
I found found it nothing but helpful and I have made some good contacts from it. There are some funny, some interesting and some annoying post on here in my opinion, however, wouldn't it be boring if there wasn't??
AB
CaptSpry
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CaptSpry » Wed Jul 20 2011, 04:32

Pegs ..... you said it so well ....... thanks.
as350_nut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby as350_nut » Wed Jul 20 2011, 05:30

Pegs, thanks for the reply it is always good to get someone elses feed back, it must just be me that takes it out of context, id just like to see more focus on the positive and informational side of things than the piss-taking side of things, i know that as a junior pilot, some people can take things a little to heart and be a bit discouraged from asking, then becoming afraid of asking again incase of being belittled by someone with a gazillion hours, which could of possibly, for that pilot, been a lifesaving question. im not a gripey bugger at all,just enjoy reading a good thread and discussion, ill be sure to pick my threads to read wisely from now on, cheers and good luck,
as350_nut
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Jul 20 2011, 07:06

So you don't like whining but you got on to have a whine.....sweet lateral thinking...
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Wed Jul 20 2011, 07:29

Nawty wrote:So you don't like whining but you got on to have a whine.....sweet lateral thinking...

THERE IT IS!!! :D :D :D :D :cool_slp: :cool_slp:
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Wed Jul 20 2011, 10:47

as350_nut wrote:Pegs, thanks for the reply it is always good to get someone elses feed back, it must just be me that takes it out of context, id just like to see more focus on the positive and informational side of things than the piss-taking side of things, i know that as a junior pilot, some people can take things a little to heart and be a bit discouraged from asking, then becoming afraid of asking again incase of being belittled by someone with a gazillion hours, which could of possibly, for that pilot, been a lifesaving question. im not a gripey bugger at all,just enjoy reading a good thread and discussion, ill be sure to pick my threads to read wisely from now on, cheers and good luck,
as350_nut

Looking at when you joined (March 2011) I think it may be a little too early to pass comment. However in saying that I would tend to agree. When I started watching BS (and eventually signing up 8months later to make my first post) I found there were a lot more experienced pilots posting. I accept that over the course of the years I have become more experienced and more new guys have joined after me, but I find that the majority of contributions are from the 'lower time' pilots. There are obviously still the experienced contributing, but I don't find they contribute as much as they used to.

As previously stated by Jetty, there are positives and negatives to forums, they are constantly shifting and changing. I think the best thing to do is take everything you read with a 'pinch of salt' and not take it too seriously.

Enjoy...?
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Islandheli
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Islandheli » Wed Jul 20 2011, 11:29

Hi as350_nut,

I do tend to agree with you.

I spat the dummy a while ago and signed off for good, but did return after a while.

If you are looking for some decent info, then you need to post decent questions and they do seem to be lacking.
There are some on here who just want to post c##p about anything so that they get gold wings or attain Dan status.

Saying that, there have been a good amount of jobs posted of late which is nice to see, also Randalls work in relation to helicopter landings is what it is all about, this is something that we should all do something about, I will be submiting my views and those of the company that I work for.

So in conclusion I guess you just need to take the good with the bad and take steps to make it what you want.

By the way, do you have a cheap internal locking system for a BA that doesn't involve taking the pedals out?
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Jul 21 2011, 00:50

Islandheli wrote:By the way, do you have a cheap internal locking system for a BA that doesn't involve taking the pedals out?

A hangar rat who sleeps in it over night?
Free Accommodation, with a view!

(sorry, I'm going now...)
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Tony Carmody
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Tony Carmody » Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:42

Life is an adventure - learn from the good and the not so good and don't stop having fun.

Here's what one guy did when he spat the dummy: http://brumbyhelicopters.com.au/themuz.htm :)

Tc
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Thu Jul 21 2011, 02:03

Squirrel_nut (cool name btw), as a relative newcomer here I'm probably guilty of posting silly fluff at times. I agree that the best threads are those where the experienced guys jump in and give great advice on questions/topics of substance. Worth remembering that those guys are generally flat out at work. For those of us on the fringe/just starting out, this site can be a great source of ongoing general motivation, not just helpful information. God knows that when you're throwing wads of cash into the air, chipping away at the books and grinding out menial jobs, just shooting the breeze about helicopters here can help make you feel a bit more part of the industry, even if you're not quite there yet. One of the great things about poling h/c is that it's always hands-on. Half the plank RPT skippers you meet seem to be in a permanent bad mood, squillon dollar salary or not, but you rarely come across a high time chopper guy who doesn't still, deep down, get a newby buzz out of...well, just how damned cool it is to be able to levitate. It is by nature about the best job ever invented, and you're right to urge that we all keep it in mind. BS is a great site and never better than when threads are upbeat.

On that note...I'm going h/c flying for the first time in a decade tomorrow and - to paraphrase Blackadder - I'm about as happy as Happy McHappy, Professor of Happiness at Happy University, Happyville.
¡Librame!
Randall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Randall » Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:32

Islandheli wrote:,

By the way, do you have a cheap internal locking system for a BA that doesn't involve taking the pedals out?

islandheli....

Sure do brother.....couple of flat metal plates with pins that drop into the sliding door tracks behind the PIC and Co-Pilot seat (That locks the back sliding ddors on both sides)

A piece of chanel metal that drops over the pedals and has a padlock going through it (That locks the pedals)

Then you lock the PIC and Co-pilot doors with the key.

Any dill that breaks in and tries taking off with the Cyclic and Collective left free but the pedals locked.....well.....It'll be messy and then you can but yourself a B3 with the insurance money :lol:
--Randall

Any Day Above Ground - Is A Good Day
Islandheli
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Islandheli » Mon Jul 25 2011, 11:25

Thanks for that Randall, now I know how you lock your 350's, it should be pretty easy to steal one from YMMB.

In the end 1 padlock did the trick, should keep CASHA happy, if they ever wish to look!!!

See, there you go AS350_nut, you can still get some good advise here, just a pity that the reports of crashes and fatalities are not treated with a little more respect.
Abaddon
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 25 2011, 12:28

Going a bit further off topic but just out of interest, do many choppers get stolen?

Or is more a case of people nicking loose items GPS's etc?
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Jul 26 2011, 05:30

Abaddon wrote:Going a bit further off topic but just out of interest, do many choppers get stolen?

Or is more a case of people nicking loose items GPS's etc?

A b206 got stolen in NSW by an (ex ??) copper having a mental meltdown a couple of years ago. But I believe that's the really simplified version of events.
Not sure of others.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Tue Jul 26 2011, 14:14

I know of a guy that borrowed one in Monaco once.

Also...din't my hero..Alby Mangles find one in a cave and borrow it ??

Return to “Bladeslapper Suggestions (and gripes)”