OZRUNWAYS

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

OZRUNWAYS

Postby NEWBIE » Thu Mar 3 2011, 23:59

Curious if any one is using the OZRUNWAYS app that has been created for there, ERSA, DAP, and AIP's, for study of course.
And if so what are your thoughts on it?, and for completely computer illiterate people like me, is it even possible to print the pages?.

Thanks,
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: OZRUNWAYS

Postby skypig » Fri Mar 4 2011, 01:07

It’s great, but too small for me on iPhone. iPad soon.
Not certified, yet.

More info here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2736&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Especially page 3.
torquenut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby torquenut » Fri Mar 4 2011, 03:30

Yep you can print from it. Needs to be done through a printer connected to a WiFi network.
Having electronic updates will be great but as SkyPig says not "certified" by CASA yet.
What's the word on the iPad 2 anyone?
Savage_duck
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Savage_duck » Fri Mar 4 2011, 03:41

I'm using Ozrunways on an iPad and it works great. Very useful to do a quick search. Not quite so good in bright sunlight under the bubble though (iPad screen limitation)

iPad2 launched yesterday. (Although more like iPad 1.5; slimmer, lighter, faster with crap cameras but not much else.) Apparently available in Aus around 25 March. Aus price not yet announced but is being positioned at the current price in other territories.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Fri Mar 4 2011, 04:19

Has any one worked out how to print to a non wireless/WIFI printer, or if this is even a possibilty,

Many thanks,

And I understand it is not certified thus for "Study purposes only" :D
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Apr 21 2011, 01:04

Has anyone tried an iPad 2 in an AC? Any magnetic/compass issues?
I'm about to buy one and would prefer the new version but am slightly concerned about the "strong magnets" embedded to hold the cover.
(Can't wait for the DAPs to be approved)
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Thu Apr 21 2011, 01:35

G'Day Pig,

Got one, tried it and it didn't appear to have any issues.
It appears that the magnets are only on the smart cover anyway, so if you have doubts, you can just leave the cover off.

Cheers,
MD
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Thu Apr 21 2011, 03:37

I've been sitting next to one being used. I didn't see the compass swinging wildly but then again I wasn't really looking, I was too busy drooling over the iPad II. I think I need one now. OzRunways is almost a must have. Chuck on the flight manual, DAP's, ERSA, AIP and charts and you have a searchable EFB. It's a really nice bit of kit. You can submit occurrence reports whilst airborne too... And take HD video of yourself looking extremely cool, as we all are in the cockpit 8)
Big Beres
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Big Beres » Thu Apr 21 2011, 04:11

I think I need one now. OzRunways is almost a must have.
helothere , don't tell me your finally going to purchase an Apple product :wink:
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Thu Apr 21 2011, 06:06

Well, yes. I have officially joined Skynet. I am typing on a MacBook Pro and I have 2 iPods...
agent 99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby agent 99 » Thu Apr 21 2011, 09:18

Helo you used to be cool man! what happened?
I've lost all faith in humanity now.
bling man
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bling man » Thu Apr 21 2011, 11:19

The app looks good, but are you effectively downloading the AIP or ersa pages everytime you use it? Or does it download initially and then store on your phone/iPad???
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Thu Apr 21 2011, 12:23

Bling, you download once and then it's stored on the device. When the amendments become current, you download them again, although I'm pretty sure it only downloads the amended bits. If you have any questions shoot Rowan an email and ask him, he's pretty good at answering questions
Cheers
MD
If I Was A Bird
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby If I Was A Bird » Thu Apr 21 2011, 12:55

helothere , don't tell me your finally going to purchase an Apple product :wink:

Well, yes. I have officially joined Skynet. I am typing on a MacBook Pro and I have 2 iPods...

Helo you used to be cool man! what happened?
I've lost all faith in humanity now.

Another Apple gadget some people might find useful - latest offering, the iWish....

mans_best_friend.jpg
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - annon heli pilot....
bling man
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bling man » Thu Apr 21 2011, 22:52

No that's great MD, all I wanted to know. Just concerned about usage. Cheers.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Apr 22 2011, 07:53

Has anyone tried an iPad 2 in an AC? Any magnetic/compass issues?
I'm about to buy one and would prefer the new version but am slightly concerned about the "strong magnets" embedded to hold the cover.
(Can't wait for the DAPs to be approved)

Hey Pig, I got the black non magnetic cover it's like a sleeve it slips into with a flap that folds over it's an apple genuine accessory it's great.
Ive had the IPad2 for a few weeks now and ive done away with my laptop totally. I got the 64Gb 3G however I dont use it with a smart card from telstra as you can just bluetooth and pair your iphone to it to get internet, saves on doubling up on the bills. its fast and reliable. I specifically bought it to transfer my Jeppesen approach plates when they released the Ipad app called Jepp mobile TC you still have to pay for your subscription like normal however no paper updates and no need to lug around 2 packs of books that weigh a ton!.

I have attached a plate here from Willy the resolution has been reduced for the gif file however in real life its very sharp and the screen is dimmable for night ops and the you can resize it with your fingers easily as well. At the present its not
approved as a sole means of reference and you still need a paper backup of the plates your using. however they have just
approved the first one in the states as stand alone
Englewood, Colo. | 17 Mar 2011
Jeppesen today announces it has completed a successful rapid decompression test of iPad 2.  The successful test was completed to an altitude of 51,000 feet, proving the integrity of iPad 2 in the unlikely event of sudden cabin pressure loss.

Last year, Jeppesen completed a similar test of a representative iPad as part of a successful program to obtain initial FAA authorization for the Jeppesen Mobile TC charting App.  Because of structural changes in iPad 2, Jeppesen determined that a new test was warranted.  No anomalies were detected during either iPad testing period.

The Jeppesen Mobile TC App is available from the App Store on iPad or at www.itunes.com/appstore/ at no additional charge for Jeppesen electronic navigation charting subscribers.

For more information, please visit www.jeppesen.com/jeppesen-mobile-tc.      
...god knows how long it will be here. :roll:

When you order or transfer your existing subscription you receive a disk from Jepp as well to load Jeppview on your desktop for flight planning trips also. both the Jeppview and the IPad2 mobile TC Jepp app come in the same package just download the app from the APP store a hey presto your in business. Updating the charts to the next cycle is as simple as clicking a button when it pops up and its downloaded in a matter of minutes. no more paper amendments!! :D :D

Ive tried it in the plank wing and it works just fine and easy to manage.

Jepp IPAD2 WILLY ILSRW12.gif
IPad2 Jeppesen plates
Jepp IPAD2 WILLY ILSRW12.gif (62.4 KiB) Viewed 16212 times
Last edited by Twistgrip on Fri Apr 22 2011, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Fri Apr 22 2011, 08:40

If I Was A Bird wrote:
Another Apple gadget some people might find useful - latest offering, the iWish....

mans_best_friend.jpg

Ha Ha!!! finally a gadget I can understand and get some use out of! :lol:
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:04

Just downloaded Ozrunways update for maps! :D just amazing !!! Looks great on my IPad!!!
just released tonight
Goto go play now :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Jun 10 2011, 14:39

I just updated my iPhone but now it's saying that another iphone is using my username which isn't the case, I only had the ERSA subscription but now I can't access it. I may just need to wait until they delete their subscription database, maybe it thinks I'm trying to download a 2nd copy???

Have emailed Ozrunways, anyone else had that problem?
Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kwyjibo » Fri Jun 10 2011, 23:40

Upgraded to V 2.0 last night... downloaded all maps relevant..... VERY impressed..
its on my iPhone 4 , and yeah, may be a lttle small, ( just means i need an iPad),.. but damn... Its good!!

has any one worked out how to 'drop a pin'?.. ie load a waypoint?.. like someones property or house for example?..

cheers..
K
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence

Return to “Flight Planning”