Aussie pilots can fly Regional Jets in USA on E3 visa

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Aussie pilots can fly Regional Jets in USA on E3 visa

Postby havick » Sat Jan 14 2017, 09:32

Anyone who has an Aussie fixed wing CPL-ME and a Multi engine IPC and meets the hours requirements for an FAA fixed wing multi engine ATP (it's only 250 hours fixed wing of which 50 is multi), then you can fly for Piedmont airlines on an E3 visa.

They'll do your ATP conversion and CTP course I believe as part of your initial type rating.

You'll fly 1000 hours a year in a greater than 20 Tonne jet and captain upgrades in about 2 years. So that puts you in the ballpark to goto the big money Chinese contracts or to Emirates or wherever else fairly quickly. No word on whether they'll sponsor you to get a green card or not which then allows you to automatically flow to American Airlines mainline in 5-7 years.

Just some food for thought if you've had enough of choppers for now and want a super quick pathway to jet command time.

PM me and I can help you get the ball rolling. A buddy of mine is just about to be interviewed so I know it's do-able on an E3.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
JT
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Aussie pilots can fly Regional Jets in USA on E3 visa

Postby JT » Mon Jan 16 2017, 16:16

Great opportunity for anyone looking to get airline experience.

Happy to answer any questions or PM's about the international airline world for what Havick mentions as maybe the next step.

No doubt a great part of the industry to have experience in with the predicted growth and crewing requirements.

Both passenger and cargo airlines offer some great contracts all over the world with decent financial & lifestyle options.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/market/long-term-market/pilot-and-technician-outlook/

http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/airbus-forecasts-3-trillion-commercial-aviation-aftermarket-services-over-the-next-20-years/
Teeoz

Postby Teeoz » Mon May 8 2017, 11:53

Hi Guys,

Can u guys pls elaborate more on the opportunities for pilots on E3 visa?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon May 8 2017, 17:50

You'll at least need at a minimum an Aussie CPL(A) with a valid multi engine fixed wing IPC. You will also need to meet the aeronautical experience requirements for the FAA ATP-MEL (just look it up in part 61 of the FAR's). You can then goto Piedmont airlines who is wholly owned by American Airlines and with a current validation letter of your Aussie license and having got the E3 visa and TSA approvals for the ATP-CTP course and your Embraer 145 type rating training you can take your ATP-MEL flight test as your final type ride for your embraer 145 rating.

Hope this helps
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon May 8 2017, 22:45

What Havick says is correct.

Regionals are hurting so bad right now they're taking rotary wing pilots with ZERO fixed wing time and paying for all the training and once training is complete and you've passed your SIC ride in the stiff wing they're paying out a 17-20k bonus on top.

I myself am considering the transition (although I already have over 200 hrs stiff wing). The only trouble is you'll be lucky to gross 30k per year for the first several years (obviously not including the bonus... that's just to get you in the door).

at the moment I know a few people that have taken the leap and I plan on following up in a few months just to see how green (and hopefully lush) the grass is over there...

Kids these days have no interest in aviation. I was at a highschool track meet a couple of weeks ago and the local EMS helicopter did a low fly-by. Hardly any of the kids looked up. Most of the kids in the crowd couldn't get their face out of their phones even to watch the races.

Soon I don't think teenagers will even be interested in procreation (at least practicing it). Maybe we shall be extinct soon... wowser... I got off topic. wheres my beer?
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
phugoyd

Postby phugoyd » Mon May 8 2017, 22:49

Soon I don't think teenagers will even be interested in procreation (at least practicing it). Maybe we shall be extinct soon... wowser... I got off topic. wheres my beer?

Its already happening in Japan, the technologically advanced nation
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/half-of-japanese-people-arent-having-sex-2015-7?r=US&IR=T
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon May 8 2017, 22:55

Hey yankee,

The first year wage is more in the order of 75-80k USd with the amount of OT and trip trading you can do as well as playing the game with roster bidding so you get overlap of flying one month to the next and they have to pay you for both sequences. That's still the with about 12 or so hard days off a month in 3-4 day blocks with the odd 2 day off thrown in there.

Captain upgrades are happening as soon as you hit your 1000 hours part 121 time which is quick if you're flying max hours at 100 per month. Add the first 6 months of getting trained up and checked to line in the mix. Once you make captain if you want to be a check airman for the company you can pick up that right away too, they're that short of captains and check airman. Check airman usually adds a $40 override per hour on top of the captain hourly pay.

Yankee PM me if you want the low down and some actual pay slips to see how it all works out.
The Scarlett Harlot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Scarlett Harlot » Mon May 8 2017, 23:10

Couldn't do it, I'd wind up a real life quagmire.....
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon May 8 2017, 23:21

AH Yess, Havick, you are probably correct with those figures. I guess I should have stipulated that the 30 K is if you worked the minimum hours (75 hrs (guaranteed) per month @ $33 an hour).

As I understand it the rotation is 4 days on and 3 days off. and you can trade where you work 4 and 1 off and work 4 and 5 off.

Any way, I did see that Emirates is bringing on "experienced" Captains at 17K per month.

Interesting times.

And yes, Havick I will PM you for those figures, you may just have me switch to the "High Life", giggle, The low life is getting a bit old... Winter is only 7 months away and I'm not looking forward to it.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon May 8 2017, 23:24

Oh, Just to add, I spoke with a buddy of mine who flies the large offshore helicopters that are painted all yellow and black. He said a bunch of pilots got "Downgrades" into the 407. He said the conversion course for the downgrades was set up for 11 pilots and only 4 showed up.

A bunch of those that didn't show had started training for the airlines.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon May 8 2017, 23:28

Don't forget the guaranteed flow to mainline running at 4-5 years from date of hire and realistically in the current environment you will get picked up by mainline outside of the flow anyway whether it be AA, Delta, United, FedEx etc

Fly helo's on the side just to keep current if you want.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Tue May 9 2017, 00:29

Havick, Do you know of any Helicopter companies that are using the E3 visa scheme?

Just curious to see if they are short of Helicopter pilots too.
Teeoz

Postby Teeoz » Tue May 9 2017, 01:36

Thanks very much guys. Appreciate the help with infomation. Interesting times ahead.

If no degree in regards to visa requirement how much experience are they looking for in terms or years and flying hours? Thanks guys
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue May 9 2017, 05:18

Teeoz wrote:Thanks very much guys. Appreciate the help with infomation. Interesting times ahead.

If no degree in regards to visa requirement how much experience are they looking for in terms or years and flying hours? Thanks guys

I know if 3 Aussies that got the E3 for a regional job on the minimum hours required for the FAA ATP-MEL in part 61 FAR's (look it up). They didn't have a degree and have probably had their license maybe 3-4 years.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue May 9 2017, 05:24

Mag seal wrote:Havick, Do you know of any Helicopter companies that are using the E3 visa scheme?

Just curious to see if they are short of Helicopter pilots too.

Yes but only for firefighting and they'll only take you if you meet the USFS contract requirements for the type and you already have to have your FAA tickets in hand for the helicopter side of things.

Missed the boat already this season for the fire contracts as most companies have already got their pilots carded by USFS.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Tue May 9 2017, 05:50

Thanks Havick.
Teeoz

Postby Teeoz » Tue May 9 2017, 08:43

Thanks Havick
unusual_attitude

Postby unusual_attitude » Tue May 9 2017, 09:10

Yes but only for firefighting and they'll only take you if you meet the USFS contract requirements for the type and you already have to have your FAA tickets in hand for the helicopter side of things.

Missed the boat already this season for the fire contracts as most companies have already got their pilots carded by USFS.

Slight side note and perhaps too off-topic, but what is the typical or recommended progression from low-hour pilot into firefighting roles, even support roles?
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sat Jul 22 2017, 05:29

Rotary wing exodus to the regional airlines continues.

Offshore companies have started looking for new entry pilots in the GOM, (still require 2k hours).
EMS has started to hemorrhage pilots.

Still no significant increase in renumeration across the board.
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sat Jul 22 2017, 07:12

unusual_attitude wrote:
Slight side note and perhaps too off-topic, but what is the typical or recommended progression from low-hour pilot into firefighting roles, even support roles?

Once you've got your 1000hrs getting on with a tour/utility company and internal progress after 1-2 years was my way. Look at companies in Alaska, also Pap in the GC. Otherwise going the co-jo way on a heavy (Billings, Columbia) and hoping you have a decent Captain who'll teach you and let you fly a lot.

Yankee wrote:Rotary wing exodus to the regional airlines continues.

I saw that Envoy is starting the RTP for civilians now. Looks tempting... This could well be one of those industry defining moment.

Return to “Pilots Required”