Research participants required

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
perryak

Research participants required

Postby perryak » Thu Mar 15 2018, 00:11

We are conducting some research into the dynamic risk assessment carried out by mustering pilots who are, or have been engaged in mustering operations. A flyer is attached for further information and contact details. The aim of this research is to improve safety in the industry and all participant responses are confidential.
AERIAL MUSTERING RESEARCH FLYER v2.pdf
(136.21 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Research participants required

Postby hand in pants » Thu Mar 15 2018, 03:56

I get nervous when a "university" wants to do any kind of study on "safety" in the industry.
It's thanks to academics who have never even been in a helicopter that we have part 48.1. A complete s#!t that is hard to understand, herder to put into practice and does nothing towards safety.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Mar 15 2018, 04:15

"where risk may have been managed by skills and expertise that are not necessarily proceduralised."

Bang on HIP, it would appear that this is just another research project on a quest to generate a job for themselves by convincing the rest of us that every minute of a mustering flight must be predetermined by a procedure.

I do applaud the advertised intent though - if we can reduce incidents/accidents that's great, but reducing risk by regulating the industry to death only helps the academics, not the industry. Once the industry is dead they just move on to the next industry which is supposedly in dire need of their expertise.

I propose that the Australian Cattleman's association, with project work scope guidance from Myles Tomkins from the AHIA, fund Dr. Sarah Wanner & Mr Kevin Perry to gain their pilots licence & spend 2 seasons mustering. Now that would give them the answers they need, & provide a level of credibility to the recommendations that would be difficult for the rest of us armchair cowboys to refute.

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is & contact Dr Wanner to schedule an interview, I'll either be part of the problem or part of the solution!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Mar 15 2018, 04:43

Well done Duck.

The only way they will have any credibility is to have done at least a little bit of it them selves.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Pilots Required”