The End of Touring? CHC S92 Pilot Positions

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
outta track
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

The End of Touring? CHC S92 Pilot Positions

Postby outta track » Tue Jul 21 2020, 05:49

Here is a cut and paste of a CHC EOI on Seek today. Are fixed base positions for the offshore industry going to be the new norm for towns like Broome, Karratha etc?

------------------------------

Expressions of Interest
S92 Captains and Co Pilots
Fixed Base - Broome,WA

Reach Beyond!

CHC provides unmatched helicopter services that enable our customers to reach beyond - to work in remote and challenging destinations that limit others - and come home safely. We are dedicated to our purpose of getting our customers where they need to be, when they need to be there, anywhere in the world - safely and reliably. All you have to do is get on board!

CHC is seeking expressions of interest from all suitably qualified and experienced Pilots for Fixed Base positions in Broome and for a 5 days on 2 days off roster.

Suitable applicants will require the following minimum qualifications and experience:

Captain Criteria Co-pilot Criteria
· ATPL/CIR · CPL/CIR
· Total hours(H) 3000 · Total hours(H) 1000
· PIC (H) 1500 · PIC(H) 100
· CMD ME (H) 1200 · ME Hours (H) 500
· Hours Day Offshore 500 · Hours Day Offshore 500
· Type (S92) (H) 100 · Type (S92) - Desirable

Skills and Attributes:

Low Flying approval
Night VFR rating
Offshore helicopter flying experience in topographical area
Winch endorsement (with relevant winching experience) is ideal
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Excellent organisational and a detail oriented.
Excellent customer service skills
Ability to work in a team and build positive relationships within an evolving and dynamic environment
To express interest in these positions, please apply online and provide a copy of your Resume/CV and complete the CHC online forms to be considered for these positions.

Expressions of Interest closes at 1600Hrs WST on Monday the 27th of July 2020.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: The End of Touring? CHC S92 Pilot Positions

Postby hand in pants » Tue Jul 21 2020, 06:33

The new "Covid 19 normal" maybe.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Jul 21 2020, 09:03

All part of the “race to the bottom”.

It’s gone, relatively quickly, from: “Ensure the ‘conditions’ on offer attract and retain the best, most experienced and most qualified Pilots, and utilize only the newest, most advanced and ‘safest’ machines”
To:
“What’s cheapest?”

Any reduction in safety margins can be made up by increasing the size of the Quality and Safety department, and more HiVis, obviously.

Oc:=
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Jul 21 2020, 13:10

As Pants has alluded to, this is a global pandemic and economies are being decimated. It doesn’t matter if your in offshore or packing boxes this is affecting all of us.
Companies have to do what’s best to protect their businesses. What would you do faced the same situation?. It’s easy to criticise.

I think it’s widely known that in this thread some offshore companies are asking guys due to WA border restrictions “that can” to relocate or to do extended tours to which most if not all guys are doing including myself, some have sacrificed to go over for months. And you know what? ,there is still such a thing as being a company man, contrary to popular belief!!.

It’s unprecedented times and we must be cognisant that some of us still have great jobs ... unlike many.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Jul 21 2020, 22:19

Twistgrip wrote:As Pants has alluded to, this is a global pandemic and economies are being decimated. It doesn’t matter if your in offshore or packing boxes this is affecting all of us.
Companies have to do what’s best to protect their businesses. What would you do faced the same situation?. It’s easy to criticise.

I think it’s widely known that in this thread some offshore companies are asking guys due to WA border restrictions “that can” to relocate or to do extended tours to which most if not all guys are doing including myself, some have sacrificed to go over for months. And you know what? ,there is still such a thing as being a company man, contrary to popular belief!!.

It’s unprecedented times and we must be cognisant that some of us still have great jobs ... unlike many.

All very true.

The above advertisement isn’t quite the same thing.
It’s for a “permanent*” position.
It’s difficult to see it as anything but “the thin edge of the wedge”, in an attempt to degrade hard earned conditions. Conditions that include the ability for professionals to have a stable home life and all that goes with it.

I hope you end up feeling “the company man” actions are appreciated, and the reciprocal “treatment” is appropriate.
This sentence is not anything but what I have written - I do hope this. Being a “company man”, and reaping the mutual rewards is where we all want to be.
Feeling like all pilots are not “wanted” in an Aviation company, but rather some “unavoidable burden”, and being under constant attack is a terrible situation. For both sides, eventually.

* Subject to the 30 day clause associated with some Off-shore contracts “these days”.
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Kulwin Park » Wed Jul 22 2020, 12:11

It's not all pilots, just a small portion of pilots that they want fixed base. If borders closed or the Broome airport runway became U/S, the CHC family of S92's can still fly on a limited basis.
CHC just protecting their business.
If the airport runway had a sinkhole in it for example, what would happen to get pilots to such a remote destination, with no fix for a runway. maybe it's not all COVID related?
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Wed Jul 22 2020, 21:06

Kulwin Park wrote:If the airport runway had a sinkhole in it for example, what would happen to get pilots to such a remote destination, with no fix for a runway. maybe it's not all COVID related?

They’re a helicopter company aren’t they :D
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Jul 22 2020, 23:10

Piggy

"Conditions that include the ability for professionals to have a stable home life and all that goes with it."
Would not "fixed base positions" mean living there full time with mum and the kids there also?? That would surely give you the stable home life you want. Monday to Friday roster, home every night with the kids and wife.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Thu Jul 23 2020, 01:22

They are also looking for Fixed Base AW139 Crew in Karratha.

https://careers-chccrew.icims.com/jobs/ ... cwa%29/job
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Jul 23 2020, 02:43

hand in pants wrote:Piggy

"Conditions that include the ability for professionals to have a stable home life and all that goes with it."
Would not "fixed base positions" mean living there full time with mum and the kids there also?? That would surely give you the stable home life you want. Monday to Friday roster, home every night with the kids and wife.

It could really suit some people.
But, what happens when the contract finishes (Some contracts are on 28 days notice.) Then the family has to uproots, and move to another armpit town.

Historically, many Off-Shore flight crew professionals have lived in one location, and worked in Darwin, Truscott, Dili, Broome, Geraldton, Karatha, Sale and others over their career as contracts and requirements change.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jul 23 2020, 10:05

Historically, many Off-Shore flight crew professionals have lived in one location, and worked in Darwin, Truscott, Dili, Broome, Geraldton, Karatha, Sale and others over their career as contracts and requirements change.

You forgot the jewel in the crown, Barrow Island. :cool_slp:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Zabar
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Zabar » Sat Jul 25 2020, 22:36

500hrs ME and offshore for a co-pilot!? Contract requirement or because they can?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sat Jul 25 2020, 22:59

Zabar wrote:500hrs ME and offshore for a co-pilot!? Contract requirement or because they can?

It’s a “requirement” to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Having said that I do remember back in the glory days that all one needed to be a co pilot was 500 hours IREX and ATPLs desirable.
It was a simpler time back then when people didn’t take photos of their food and kale wasn’t trendy.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Sat Jul 25 2020, 23:11

Zabar wrote:500hrs ME and offshore for a co-pilot!? Contract requirement or because they can?

Pretty sure it's an OGP requirement as well.

In the current climate, expect people who are over qualified to get the job. There's a lot of experienced, unemployed pilots are the moment :(
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sat Jul 25 2020, 23:34

Hello Pilots wrote:

It’s a “requirement” to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Having said that I do remember back in the glory days that all one needed to be a co pilot was 500 hours IREX and ATPLs desirable.
It was a simpler time back then when people didn’t take photos of their food and kale wasn’t trendy.

I’ve met a few guys that got their start back in the day as an offshore co-pilot with 200 hours CPL and a pass in the IREX. The employer put them through their ME IR and there was actually a path to log PIC time and swap seats.

Sadly those times appear to be long gone.

These days there are guys with plenty of SE turbine hours and their ATPLs passed that are able to put a ME IR on VET funding and rock up ready to go other than the type rating.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Jul 26 2020, 03:04

Wannabe60Driver wrote:These days there are guys with plenty of SE turbine hours and their ATPLs passed that are able to put a ME IR on VET funding and rock up ready to go other than the type rating.

To an extent, you are correct. However, merely ticking the qualification boxes doesn't guarantee a job or the ability to pass the training to be checked to line on an offshore type. Other factors definitely come into it including your personality, one's soft skills, ability to operate successfully in a multi crew environment, recommendations from networking et cetera.

Yes, unfortunately, an instrument rating is a competitive advantage today however I suspect that is slowly changing. I believe we will likely see a move towards cadetships in the near future which would be a good way to see the next generation of pilots afforded a path into multi engine IFR operations. Not everyone can afford circa $75-100k for an IFR qualification after spending a similar amount on the basic CPL-H.

Apologies for the thread creep.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun Jul 26 2020, 05:38

Currently the student loan cap is $150k. A CPLH is around $82k on student loan and the ME IR around $92k if you do the IREX yourself and $94k if you want to do it in a classroom.

So as it stands, someone could go from zero to CPLH with ME IR and be out of pocket around $15k.

Cadetships would be great but unfortunately it looks like employers will have it their way for the foreseeable future given how many qualified pilots are unemployed and how accessible instrument ratings are now.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sun Jul 26 2020, 08:26

Wannabe60Driver wrote:Currently the student loan cap is $150k. A CPLH is around $82k on student loan and the ME IR around $92k if you do the IREX yourself and $94k if you want to do it in a classroom.

So as it stands, someone could go from zero to CPLH with ME IR and be out of pocket around $15k.

You will ACTUALLY be out of pocket 170ish as student loans aren't free.

Bang"not an accountant"Equalsbad.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun Jul 26 2020, 08:49

bangequalsbad wrote:
You will ACTUALLY be out of pocket 170ish as student loans aren't free.

Bang"not an accountant"Equalsbad.

$150k plus the 20% loan surcharge is $180k plus the $16-18k shortfall and you’re close enough to $200k total.

By ‘out of pocket’ I obviously meant upfront - i.e. out of pocket expenses don’t include loans.

Return to “Pilots Required”