Junior pilot looking for work.

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Jsmithy89

Junior pilot looking for work.

Postby Jsmithy89 » Mon Jan 11 2021, 09:28

Gday fellas I know it’s a long shot as every man and there dog is looking for a work especially a junior pilot but I thought I’d give it a shot anyway. 31 years old have 135 hours TT have r22 and r44 endorsement have spent a couple of seasons on cattle stations have MC truck licence with 10 years experience also worked on fishing lodges In the nt so have experience in the tourist game. Interested in getting into mustering or into the Helifish game willing to travel anywhere in Australia to meet any potential employers face to face as I believe it’s better to talk in person then over phone or email. Originally from Bathurst nsw but reside on the Sunshine Coast at the moment but keen to move wherever there’s work. If anyone knows any one that maybe looking to employ anyone this season I’d greatly appreciate a pm with a number or some advice. As I said I know it’s a long shot but I’d thought it’s worth a try cheers in advance fellas.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Junior pilot looking for work.

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Jan 12 2021, 11:44

Good luck with the job hunting. Everyone flying a helicopter these days has stood where you are now. Don't give in.

Unfortunately, sending resumes via email etc at your early career stage will likely not pay any dividends. Do your best to get out and knock on doors to make yourself known. Make sure you also follow up regularly with prospective employers. Eventually, you will crack it.

Best wishes with the job hunting.
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Wed Jan 13 2021, 07:01

We’ve all been in your shoes mate and sounds like you’ve got some handy experience under your belt. If you’re keen on getting into Helifishing or similar I’d be getting onto the guys up in the NT or the Kimberley pretty quick, quite a few operators up there offering that kind of work and will be getting ready now for the upcoming dry season. Quite likely start you out doing some scenic work to get comfortable in the machine and gain some experience before letting you loose landing out in remote areas but you have to start somewhere. Same thing for mustering, have you done your mustering endorsement already? If not that’s a good place to start, and the training school may be able to point you in the direction of someone looking for a pilot.

Stay safe, keep it upright and you’re onto a winner! Enjoy and good luck.
HELO1
Jsmithy89

Postby Jsmithy89 » Sat Jan 16 2021, 00:40

Thanks for the reply fellas appreciate it.. haven’t got my mustering endorsement yet but it’s on the list to do just need some time to head out west and get it done but I’ll keep trying and I’m sure something will come up. Thanks again stay safe
Wannabe60Driver
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sat Jan 16 2021, 03:56

Biggest issue low-hour pilots have now in Oz is the state of the insurance industry. Premiums have gone up a ridiculous amount in the last 12 months and minimums have been hit too. Even if someone’s pockets are deep enough to private hire a machine, many companies are now faced with pilot minimums of 150 hours. Many operators now have minimums of 250. Sure makes it difficult to get anywhere with less than 150 hours in the logbook if you can’t even rent a machine.

Return to “Pilots Required”