Medical extensions

Discuss and/or express your disgust about anything Aviation Medical
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Medical extensions

Postby Little Bird » Thu Mar 7 2013, 07:15

Has anyone had to get a medical extension because their medical documents are still with CASA and their 2 month re-validation is about to expire?
I was told by one staff to send an email with my reasons for the extension, no form, no fuss, and it would be considered.
Other staff are telling me I have to pay $50 as per a regular extension.
It seems a bit steep to pay for something that is out of my hands.
Or is it just a ca$e of suck it up...?
Thanks!
angrywasp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Medical extensions

Postby angrywasp » Thu Mar 7 2013, 07:34

Have you tried getting the Doctor who conducted the examination to find out what the hold up is and getting it resolved that way ?
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Thu Mar 7 2013, 07:57

First place to start is at the Doctor's office.

Talk to the Doctor.

Get as much information as you can before calling CASA 131 757/

The Medical Department at CASA are over-worked. Be nice to them, explain your situation. May have to talk to more than one person.

Maybe a form was not filled out correctly, a test result entered incorrectly or misread, or maybe the application did not get filed by the office staff at the AME's office.

Maybe incorrect payment or payment details.

Many possible reasons.

If you have no health issues or reasons to preclude you from having your medical re-issued, then don't sweat it. Everything will work out ok.
Never take "No" for an answer.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Thu Mar 7 2013, 08:06

I did a medical on 16 August 2012 and never followed up on it until another co. asked for a copy of it in February 2013 - I hadn't thought anymore about it and went hunting for it. No document had been posted but I knew I had undertaken an examination - had me doubting my mental state for a while - went online and found it electronically on the CASA portal. Very hard photocopying a laptop screen!
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Thu Mar 7 2013, 09:52

Thanks all for your replies.
AvMed has all my docs and I'm paid up. All I'm told is that they're with the doctor and it will be processed soon.
The self-service portal lists my status as "Delayed" but my validity is until 2014. There is small print on the website that states "A printed copy of this screen showing your medical details cannot be used instead of carrying an original medical certificate issued by CASA". Hence why I'm wondering about an extension so I can continue to work. You're lucky you didn't get a ramp check 2rotorbro!!!
You're right about them being overworked. One of the staff I spoke to said that I was "not the only one in this situation". Surely then that would be grounds for an FOC validation extension...or n$t?
Here's a long weekend!
Flyinghigh

Postby Flyinghigh » Sat Dec 28 2013, 01:57

Just a quick question - really hoping someone has a concrete answer!
My medical was recently suspended and has now finally been given back.
The only problem is my Class 2 is still current but my class 1 is 5 months out of date. Do I have to do a whole new class 1 medical as I am out of the '3 month' buffer, or can my DAME simply renew my medical certificate?
Cheers in advance for any help or advice you can give!
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Sat Dec 28 2013, 02:12

I may stand corrected on this but I think you have 5 years before you would need a complete re issue.
Flyinghigh

Postby Flyinghigh » Sat Dec 28 2013, 02:32

Great thanks for your help!
Not sure if the DAME can just stamp my certificate or if I have to go through the whole sending away and waiting process.
Fingers crossed it's just a stamp!
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Sat Dec 28 2013, 03:59

I would have thought that if your Class 1 has expired you will at least have to sit a renewal medical.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sat Dec 28 2013, 05:53

Looking at the thread title, I thought you were after a few extra inches for the old fella!
Guilders

Postby Guilders » Sat Dec 28 2013, 11:57

My understanding is if the medical has expired, the doctor cannot give the 2 month extension as there technically is nothing to extend!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Dec 28 2013, 12:07

Hi Flyinghigh,

The way I read your post is that your 2 months past your class 1 extension?. You still have a current class 2 for private ops but I agree with MD and others that you would prob have to see your dame for a fresh class 1.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Mon Dec 30 2013, 00:07

FlyingHigh,
Since your out of the 3 months buffer period, the DAME can't stamp your medical, the paperwork has to be sent to the CASA doc for approval. I went through the same issue a few months ago after working overseas for 18 months & my medical had expired by over 12 months. It'll take a few extra weeks (2-3) for it to get processed. You can email CASA & ask kindly for it to be rushed through but you'll need to state a good reason (I stated I needed it asap so I could go put some water on some flames back when Sydney was burning). Hope that helps
Flyinghigh

Postby Flyinghigh » Mon Dec 30 2013, 05:13

Thanks very much for your advice guys, really appreciated.
Looks like I have a few more weeks to wait!
Patience is a virtue!
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Dec 30 2013, 11:44

So, CASA is overworked with its issuing of med
certs... the obvious solution for this is to make class 1 medicals valid for 2 years and a class 2 valid for 3 years.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.

Return to “Medical Talk”