Adventure sample

Join Matthew and the team as they trek around Australia.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Adventure sample

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Dec 5 2012, 02:00

Hi All,

Here is a quick video I'd to share from Ted Grambeau's trip with me to the Kimberleys.

Ted is in negotiation with Red Bull to do a world trip (not from a heli!) exploring his images with the latest Nikon gear.

This is just a fraction of our trip.

http://vimeo.com/54685596

I have been meaning to post more on our adventures by it's just too busy at work. I'll get there.

Regards
Matt
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Adventure sample

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Dec 5 2012, 06:00

Out of curiosity Matt, was the audio recorded separately and edited in later to sync with the GoPro footage or did you somehow record it live with the GoPro cameras?
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Dec 5 2012, 06:05

Loved it Mat, Good humor from your mate Ted :D Look forward to seeing the "long" version. :)
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Dec 5 2012, 06:46

Hi Guys,

Thanks, glad you like it ... I'm sitting on so much stuff ... want to share all of it over time.

Capt Hollwood, yes, it is recored by the GoPro directly (version 2 & 3 have mic input) but there is a few tricks.

The comms output is way to high for the GoPro to deal with. We made a heli socket to XLR cord, the added a -30DB XLR pad (which you can buy from any pro-audio shop) then built another XLR to mini-jack plug.

So, you plug it into a spare jack, the levels drop by -30db and the GoPro is happy.

We also had 4 GoPro's linked by wi-fi and a remote, this way each angle is always in sync with the audio.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Matt
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Dec 5 2012, 09:09

Love the pawn music.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Dec 5 2012, 09:13

lol...write the word p o r n here and see what you automatically get....fun for all the family.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Dec 5 2012, 10:10

Close, it's music by Pnau **^** :)))

Matt
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Dec 5 2012, 12:40

Thanks for the info Matt. Any tips on where to get a -30db microphone attenuator as I can only seem to find a -20db one, or would that be OK?
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Wed Dec 5 2012, 23:53

There is a bunch on BHphotovideo.com. do a search for XLR pad

There are also all the cables you need!

-40 would be better than -20 .... line level (comm equipment) is +30DB on mic level (GoPro input)

Here is a -30

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135094-REG/Pro_Co_Sound_MAX30_MAX30_In_Line_Pad.html

Cheers
Matt
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Thu Dec 6 2012, 10:19

Is it just the 44 (Robinsons in general) that has a high audio level output?
I have been using my GoPro2 all this year in the Cabri G2 with a straight Y cable tap off the headphone socket, works great.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Thu Dec 6 2012, 23:02

Hi,

Not sure but the R44 comms is line level, the GoPro tries to do auto gain control but when there is silence the background hum gets much louder, I'd have to find an old sample to show you what I mean

With the pad installed, when there is silence on the comms there is absolute silence in the recording, very handy for editing.

Can you share one of your videos in the Cabri? Love to see it, looks like a very fun and safe machine.

Regards
Matt
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Fri Dec 7 2012, 00:22

Hi Matt,

I don't seem to get any gain (AGC) problems in the Cabri, perhaps it actually cuts the audio completely and the Gopro then doesn't ramp up the gain during quiet periods? not sure.

I will see if I can get some of the vids linked, will get the missus to sort it out as she's a cinematographer and knows all the vimeo stuff, unlike me who has never done it! I have one during low level training at YSBK using all 3 runways which was fun albeit a bit wet.

I love flying the Cabri, I only have limited experience and a few hours in the 22 and 44 but thoroughly enjoy the responsiveness of the Cabri, it can be twitchy if not handled with care but that reflects it's performance characteristics. I was also pleasantly surprised at how quickly I adapted to the 44 having flown the Cabri, it seems it prepares the pilot very well for other machines. There has been a lot of debate about the main rotor direction and pedal input but I found adapting to the 44 easy from the very first takeoff, it's amazingly intuitive when you just 'fix up what you see outside!'.
Scud
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Scud » Sat Dec 8 2012, 05:52

Hi Matt,

I noticed that at one stage you said you were over the Lower Mitchell Falls but the still photo image displayed at the time was of the Mitchell Falls themselves...not the Lower Falls. Any particular reason for that? Just wondering, as you may get others that know the area quite well, possibly comment about the continuity of those images and the words spoken. Please don't misunderstand my question, I'm not being critical...just curious!

Cheers,
Scud
Scud
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Scud » Sat Dec 8 2012, 05:58

P.S. Some nice images by the way. It's an awesome part of the country and I'd highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't been up there.
Gay

Postby Gay » Sun Dec 9 2012, 23:18

While we are talking about video production, can someone recommend a good editing software for Go Pro (MP4) footage.

Cheers.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Sun Dec 9 2012, 23:41

Hey Scud,

Good pick, we were winging it as we had to make it back to base camp near Derby, we only had time for 2 orbits then we continued South. This is all for a pilot and will never see the anything other than places like this forum. Ted's pictures are a another matter!

Hey Gay,

Our studio now uses Adobe CS6 for it's tight integration with After Effects, Premiere and Audition.

Since we had 4 cams, if you leave the footage as MP4 you'll make the computer struggle, as there is a key frame only every 150 frames.

Better to convert the footage to Sony XDCAM HD @ 35mbps (there is no need to use 50 mbps with GoPro) then you're computer will play it fine. We used to use Final Cut Pro but dropped it after it was discontinued .... I don't like Final Cut X very much at all.

Cheers
Matt

Return to “Footprint Productions Heli Adventures”