Air Crewman Training courses

tarnasky

Air Crewman Training courses

Postby tarnasky » Mon Feb 3 2020, 09:09

Hey everyone Just wondering where all you qualified guys did your training?

Aside from the military of course, are there many civilian options out their and is it possible to get into the industry with a certificate but no job experience?

I'm 37 now, no aviation quals or experience but hard working, reliable, dedicated and highly motivated.

Any advice or feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Air Crewman Training courses

Postby Ala rotante » Mon Feb 3 2020, 12:04

Hi tarnasky,

Depending on what you want to do, engineering, be a winch man, truck driver or the guy working for a heli company and do everything?

There are options for the hard working people with skills, that I believe you have at the age of 37, I was 37 as well when I got my first heli job and despite my age it went well! Still Flying... and driving trucks!

Truck and DG license, first AID training, agriculture and building site experience would help for aerial work. But you should knocking at some door and have a chat in person , in same case NOT being a pilot it better for get a crew job!

In my experience the industry needs hard working and motivated people instead of ( not all) arrogant young pilots that apart from flying they are useless!

I hope it help
)c/ Old Grumpy but Handsome Man 8)
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Mon Feb 3 2020, 17:47

Hey everyone Just wondering where all you qualified guys did your training?
[highlight=]OTJE. On the job experience :D [/highlight]

Aside from the military of course, are there many civilian options out their and is it possible to get into the industry with a certificate but no job experience?
[highlight=]There are opportunities out there but are limited. You will have to develop a non-flying relationship first eg drive a fuel truck before someone will train you.
Doesn't make any sense to spend money getting a crewman qualification and having no experience because people won't hire you based on the paperwork. If you develope a relationship as mentioned above they will often pay and bond you to a return of service.[/highlight]

I'm 37 now, no aviation quals or experience but hard working, reliable, dedicated and highly motivated.

[highlight=]Age can bring stability[/highlight].
BigHuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BigHuey » Mon Feb 3 2020, 22:26

Mate, try Lifeflight in Brisbane, I’m pretty sure they still do courses using their Squirrel.
Tactical71
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Tactical71 » Mon Feb 24 2020, 00:34

Mate, a lot of the crewies in the industry have either had former military training or come from emergency services like the Ambo, Fireies, surf life saving, cops etc. Not all. But a lot. Its difficult to get into the industry without cash behind you unless you have contacts. Toll will train you from scratch but you are looking at around $25,000 with them and you could almost pay for a privates pilots licence for that. Then you have a CertIV but no experience and minimum hours under your belt. Operators generally want people that don’t require a lot of training, but you may find operators that will take low hours crewman.

There are other operators out there who will train you like RHO Aviation but same outcome at the other end. Here is a link to all training providers that have AVI40119 (CertIV) on their scope. Some will provide the training, others will not.

Certain roles require certain minimum hours, like winch ops for fire fighting, EMS rescue/aircrewmwn etc. The industry is becoming more regulated now so a CertIV will be a minimum for most crew roles. There are a number of operators and training companies offering the CertIV but not all provide the training to get it.

All my practical training has been accumulated on the job and through hanging around other crewies and picking up things here and there. I am going to have to get a CertIV myself soon, most likely through RPL, but its a cost that is required for the industry now.

There are some things you can organise yourself like HUET, CRM, AROC and DG. All will go towards the core and elective competencies in the CertIV.

Its a great industry to be in, but not an easy one to break into.

All the best with it. Good luck.
tarnasky

Postby tarnasky » Sun Mar 29 2020, 04:47

Thanks guys some really advice there and also thanks to Matt who I spoke to offline. I have just received my class 2 medical certificate so now I'm going to do the CRM and dangerous goods courses then ill start knocking on some doors.

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”