Aircrew Question

tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Aircrew Question

Postby tailrotor » Wed May 6 2020, 10:13

This is a really stupid question so I can already imagine the answers but are Pilot hours transferable to aircrew hours (I.E. is a job required 500 hours as an ACO do your hours as a PIC give you any credibility in this area?) I'm sure the answer is no but just wanted to ask.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Aircrew Question

Postby Twistgrip » Wed May 6 2020, 10:30

Tailrotor, no such thing as a stupid question, In fact that’s a really great question. My opinion is, yes it should be. Aircrew officers have gained entry into flying positions all over and even into EMS single pilot positions using their Aircrew hours as leverage. In any case you’re most of the way there with the pilot stuff and at a huge advantage above others.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed May 6 2020, 10:37

As a pilot, what aspects of a crewman's job have you carried out?

Weight and balance - check
Navigation - check
admin, such as load manifests - check
Guiding pax in and out, briefing them on safety - check
Giving (or estimating) clearances from obstacles in a pad - check

Perhaps the only thing you haven't done is being a winch operator, or supervising a rappelling operation.

So, yes, you should be able to quote your experience.
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Wed May 6 2020, 23:09

It's not very often you hear about a driver wanting to get into the left seat or in the back. I have had one pilot ask if I could train him up as a winch operator. As already stated, hours are hours and pilot hours should count in total experience hours.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Fri May 8 2020, 06:55

Response to PIC time validity:
The only stupid question is the one not asked! There is probably someone else in the room at the time with the same one, so unanswered, the doubt multiplies (CRM).
As an Army Loadmaster, there was always a point of contention with aircrew members that had not worked as a crew (new pilots mainly and some single pilot operators; and new Loadmasters with low time experience) that the other positions in the crew were “not to hard to do” or “can’t be that difficult”. As a pilot as well, I could see and appreciate both situations from each perspective.
This was due mainly to the circumstance that neither party had any direct knowledge or experience in each other's specific crew position operating their specific role equipment suites.
The other driving circumstance is that crew members are more or less locked into their position and cannot see the same aspect as each other, particularly the pilot. The other crew can move around more however, they may still not achieve the same view as the pilot. (hence the “losing sight” call on approach or confined manoeuvres)
Bearing in mind also that in rescue /retrieval equipped R/W aircraft, the flying task you are employed on may not be initially SAR/HEMS oriented, but you still carry out the relevant pre-flight /pre-take off checks of the role equipment in case the mission alters in flight to that category. The PIC has complete override and function of this equipment from his seat if the Loadmaster/Crewman or his equipment fails during that operation, enabling the PIC to conduct or complete the task as appropriate.
In any case the PIC supervises the role equipment deployment throughout its operation, even when the other crew members are active in their specific roles.
So, your time as PIC on these types of tasks is of value and as discussed with the initial responses to your question, it would not be unreasonable to offer that time with your application. As a previous Chief Loadmaster hiring staff, I would understand the reasoning for presenting that experience and anticipate confirmation in later check and training scenarios if your application was realised.
Comment LHS on pilots in back seat roles:
Our squadron used to conduct role reversal exercises where the subordinate ranks occupy the command positions of the unit and the seniors would mirror the occupation of the subordinate occupations for a couple of days to promote awareness of how the unit operates and the value of each position manned to enable the unit to function in its role in all conditions.
It was all under supervision to avoid real reversals in function and health and was an eye opener to all ranks as to why each member is valuable and what that role actually did as a daily function usually unseen before. (there are no “spare” people in defence operations).
The role reversals in the aircrew operations promoted a high awareness later of the comparative skills required to complete any task and the composite skill base available within the crew for any task anticipated. Very positive activity.
Summary:
This next point solves the “big heads” who think they are the most important element of the crew –
Competition is great but not when its corrosive (ego)
At the end of the day, the aircraft captain is just that, and the role of the crew is to reduce the captain’s workload to enable the aircraft to be operated at it best. The captain disseminates authority and duties to the crew, but the overall responsibility (and override) remains with the captain. This is one area that I believe could be emphasised a bit more often, ie the crew know what their role is.
Keep it flying, don't quit!
Macc

Postby Macc » Sat Aug 8 2020, 22:10

Hello,

Where can I find the Babcock RCO fitness test requirements? They aren't detailed on their ads and Im hoping to find out the water and land components..

cheers
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Sat Aug 15 2020, 01:36

With current job prospects for pilots being as it is, what is the market like for Crewman positions?
Ive seen a couple of job ads. for Babcock, surf lifesaving and Nsw national park and wildlife. And was thinking about a potential change.
Is there 100's of applicants applying with little to no luck like the pilots?

Also from what I've read it looks like priority is given to ex military, police, ambos etc (due to previous experience)

Guess I'm asking what chances a CPL(h) with all the module codes apart from winching experience would have?
Dem winds are gonna blow

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”