Where do I start to become Air crew/Rescue crew?

Steveg

Where do I start to become Air crew/Rescue crew?

Postby Steveg » Tue Jun 4 2013, 02:27

Hi there everyone

This is my first post and i'm sure the question has been asked a myriad of times over the years but I couldn't seem to find answers that relate to me (and from my forum searches, masto as well.).

I am ex Military (non aviation) and have always loved helicopters. What i would really love is to get onboard as Air crew/Rescue crew, however, I have no experience in the civilian world of helicopters. My research has lead me to discover that it is quite hard to find a starting point or a way for those that have done limited training to get jobs. I have found courses that are offered for aviation crew (cert III in Aviation), but does that actually count for anything compared to the guys that are leaving the military with the quals and experience already behind them. I have read that CHC offered cadetships and that sounded fantastic! Are they the only ones offering such an awesome thing? I understand from reading various posts that it is also and industry where it helps to know people as well.

So after all this I guess the question i'm asking is; What is the best track to take in order to put yourself in the best employment position to become Rescue crew/Air crew within the Australian Helicopter Industry? from courses? ground experience? knowing particular people/companies? General costs? etc

Im trying to soak up as much info as i can and thats to everyone that helps out! :)

Can i also apologise in advance if this has already been outlined somewhere obvious and also if I have posted in the wrong spot. Cheers everyone!
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Where do I start to become Air crew/Rescue crew?

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Tue Jun 4 2013, 03:17

Get an aviation medical for commercial pilot if you want to fly first. Get a job as a hanger rat for minimum wage for the feel of a flight school . Have very deep pockets , no debts or wife . Be prepared to spend $35k for training for a private licence or $55k for commercial and take 2 to 4 months off work to study . Chance of getting a basic loop job after qualifying -scarce. If so money is minimum wage probably in the middle of nowhere .Wait 5 years to build up hours then look to move up in the world and compete with 110 kiwis younsters looking for jobs here as well as NZ. Wait another 10 years then look at rescue crew .
My guess ???
or Do 3 years uni ,join the Ambulance service and get paid well and look to get a back door (side door) position for a flight crew .
or save $200k and buy a Remote control helicopter and have fun.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Jun 4 2013, 04:18

Know nuffin...I think Steveg is looking moreso towards a rescue crew down the wire/winch operator job as apposed to an EMS/SAR piloting 'rescue crew' position. Correct me if I'm wrong Steveg.

There are numerous threads to search for info in this area. I'll see if I can find something and post it here later on.
Steveg

Postby Steveg » Tue Jun 4 2013, 04:27

Hey FF

Yeah I am looking into the non piloting side of it. rescue crew down the wire/winch operator as your say.

Cheers!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Jun 4 2013, 04:36

From not that long ago:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=7197

and a few years prior:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4439&p=39113&hilit=rescue+aircrew#p39113

Best bet is a rescue crew position entry level job at Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ) or try CHC for a start in the same way.
fullysikwog
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fullysikwog » Tue Jun 4 2013, 10:21

Go introduce yourself to people. (As in go meet pilots, or as mentioned before become a hangar rat and just show that you have a keen interest.)

I'm not a rescue crewman, and not winch trained, I still get to do all non-winching related stuff as a crewman. So bit if work on the fires etc.

This has led to meeting some fantastic mentors in the heli industry and am starting my licence soon!

Everyone's journey is different, so don't necessarily do exactly what me or anyone else has told you, just research, and figure out what is gonna work best for you.
Class a-1 medical is definitely important.

Good luck mate!!
Next to being witty, the best thing is being able to quote another's wit.
Steveg

Postby Steveg » Thu Jun 6 2013, 07:35

Thanks for your help there guys! Much appreciated!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Jun 6 2013, 07:40

Would you consider going back to the military and try for a job as a loadie?
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Steveg

Postby Steveg » Thu Jun 6 2013, 20:53

It would be a sweet job but im happy with the time iv done and the places iv been in the Military, so I probably wouldn't get back in again. Why is that?
StickyDingo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby StickyDingo » Sun Jun 9 2013, 04:27

In most cases, the minimum requirement of 500 hours can be gained in 2 years in the military. You also get exposure to lots and lots of safety stuff, HUET, DG, CRM, AVRM, flying on NVD, a range of twin engine aircraft both big and small, plus extras like Diplomas, Certificate IV assessment and training, Management etc etc. And free boots.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, I understand, but if you are keen and, as suggested, introduce yourself around and display a good attitude- doors will open. Hope it turns out for you, good luck dude.

SD
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Mon Jun 10 2013, 00:21

Steveg, not sure which state you are in, if in NSW, keep an eye out to see who gets the NSW RFS helicopter contracts when the are released. Most of the operators are always looking for support crews during the season, that may get you through the door to start. The operators who have the winch machines would be the ideal ones for yourself. It might mean a season of following helicopters around the state, it could also mean some flying work. In the past during flood work, we have used non aircrewman qualified people in the machines to assist the pilot with people and cargo management.
It may not be your ideal job as it sounds like you want to get into the SAR/EMS side of things, but it could be a start.
Good luck.
LHSboy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHSboy » Mon Jun 10 2013, 02:02

Steveg,

Look up https://www.careflightgroup.com/page/ca ... -services/

They offer courses in both rescue and air crew.

Cheers
LHSboy
P.S. I have no affiliation with them other than knowing a few of their crew. :D
helicopterrescue

Postby helicopterrescue » Thu Sep 12 2013, 08:03

Steveg,

The best way to get into the industry is to go through the Army or Navy. I understand that you are happy with what you have done in the Military so far but if you want to get into the job, it would be your best bet.

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”