Good news stories............

Got any good tips for that killer aircraft pic?
Aladinsane
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Good news stories............

Postby Aladinsane » Tue Sep 2 2008, 10:55

Hey folks, now for something completely different.............

I thought I would start a thread asking for positive points about different aviation companies which you have worked at, or may work for now.

Feel free to name the companies if you feel it appropriate.

1 small caveat - you cant include your flight school you learnt at. That topic has been well and truly covered (flogged).
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Good news stories............

Postby pohm1 » Tue Sep 2 2008, 11:23

Listen..............can you hear the silence :wink:

P1
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Tue Sep 2 2008, 18:47

Ok,

Since no one wants to say anything on this thread I will add a twist to it.
I'm currently unemployed and looking for a new job.

Because I have relatively low hours these are my options:
1, Get a CFI license and find some students to scare me silly.
2, Go to the GOM and enjoy some challenging flying.

So far I have applied to a flight school to do my CFI (class due to start on the 15th of November) and I've called to GOM operators and I'm due to go interview with both of them (after they recover from this hurricane).

Would anyone be interested in me letting everyone know how process of getting hired in the GOM goes? And then I can tell you all what its like to be employed as a GOM taxi service.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Tue Sep 2 2008, 22:10

This forum is a
Meeting place for the Australian Helicopter Community
:roll:

Try here

http://helicopterforum.verticalreferenc ... owforum=26

P1
pilotnz

Postby pilotnz » Tue Sep 2 2008, 23:31

I think there is always something positive about the helicopter company you work for. For one they gave you a job and let you fly.
So in saying that i`m going to put in a good word for PHS melbourne.
Pay was great , always paid on time. Plenty of hours and got a rating in the jetty and squrriel.
Although i didn`t leave on good terms with the management , I would recommend them to other instructors. Far better than you would get in nz
there you go.
Aladinsane
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Aladinsane » Wed Sep 3 2008, 04:44

Just as I suspected.

If this thread had been about an accident or bagging a company it would have been flooded with replies by now by all and sundry.

Pilots would rather whinge. The prosecution rests.
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Wed Sep 3 2008, 05:11

Welcome to the wonderful world of Aviation!!! :D
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
Aladinsane
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Aladinsane » Wed Sep 3 2008, 06:58

Where was my welcome 21 years ago when I started?
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Wed Sep 3 2008, 07:18

I Guess the same place mine was!!! :D
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Sep 3 2008, 09:17

I’ve enjoyed flying with all the companies I’ve worked for. Some have let me down with broken promises. Some might say I expected too much.

Two companies I have been employed by, for a second stint, which I believe says it all – both ways, are:

Chopperline Flight training 8) and
Pacific Crown Aviation 8) (Island Hoppers - Fiji)

I’ve also done contract work for Solitair Helicopters 8) on a number of occasions.

I’m not associated with any of these organisations now, but based on my experience I’m very happy to recommend them.

Most of the others I’d class as “2nd tier” (or worse )c/ ) companies, where I would say long term “fair” employment isn’t on the agenda. These organisations provide opportunities to gain experience. I think most of them would recognise the quality work I exchanged for these opportunities.

As I’ve written before, “second tier” organisations :? help us get to the “first tier” :D and should be appreciated for this. (I admit, I was relieved when one of the worst organisations Oc:= I ever worked for “folded” due to an inability to attract pilots)

I’ve had a hell of a ride so far and wouldn’t swap it for an easy run. (now that is, at the start I wished my dad owned a helicopter company or microsoft)

Skypig 8) 8)
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby helicopspeeder » Wed Sep 3 2008, 10:07

I did a fair bit of contract work for Heliar in Adelaide last year. Professional outfit. Nice machines, great office/base setup and pilot's ready room/office. Excellent maintenance program (which is very high on my priority list). Good bunch of people and varied work. Always paid well and on time.

I also worked for a short time for a mob in Perth called Avwest. You couldn't ask for a better employer in this game. Everything about them was completely professional. We, as pilots were completely supported, well paid and very well treated. (If they hadn't sold the helicopter I'd like to believe I'd still be there today).
Avwest are primarily a fixed wing operation. Their C.P. is the kind of C.P. every pilot loves to work for, I got the feeling he'd drop his Christmas dinner to come and support a pilot or lend a hand.

The company I work for now is also fantastic. Common fleet of machines with plenty of power for the job requirements, exceptional maintenance, great $$$, great work and I'm not telling you who or where we are!

GBR helicopter group deserves a mention, they have given so many pilots a big leg up. Plenty of hours and flying in paradise, I met some great people and had a lot of fun. Maintenance is excellent. Engineers are all great guys and work very hard but hey, they've got Diamond Dave!
New C.P. in the chair, yee-ha!
The voices in my head are debating the lyrics to "Hotel California"
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Wed Sep 3 2008, 10:15

Pilots would rather whinge. The prosecution rests

I'm sure the Aladinsane I know already knew this well before he started the thread! 8)

P1
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Wed Sep 3 2008, 11:02

helicopspeeder wrote:...Excellent maintenance program (which is very high on my priority list)...

You know, I think this is, bar none, the most important part of flying. You've nailed it...if you can trust your maintainers to do the righty, you only have to worry about flying the thing.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
Aladinsane
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Aladinsane » Wed Sep 3 2008, 11:10

Thanks P1! I was hoping that little jibe might provoke a response or 2 - seems to have worked!

Thanks to those who have responded in the positive, its a good respite from the norm and provides some encouragement to the newer pilots and students.

Hey SP was Bill H there in Fiji with you? I had the pleasure of meeting him and flying away one of his outstanding AS350's this year. For those who have not had the pleasure, the workmanship from his team @ PCH in Caloundra is 1st rate.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Wed Sep 3 2008, 11:34

I'd have to agree with Master Cylinder. Maintainence would have to be one of the priorities.

I'm currently working at Heliwest. Good maintainence, a lot of diverse work. Pay would be at a guess above average. Bosses are hard workers, proactive and I've seen them sweeping the hanger floors on more than one occasion. The CP is big on safety and always has the time to talk you about any issues or concerns.

I take my hat off to you 'Pilotnz', big of you to admit you didn't leave on the best terms, but still will plug a good company.

I find it amazing that last time I heard there are over 800 members on this forum and I'm the only one prepared to state where I work! It'd be hilarous meeting you guys at the pub.
Me:"You're a helo pilot as well, cool not too many of us. Where do you work?"
You:"Can't say"

The power of the internet and lack of accountability. We're all pretty tough when we have some cool username and picture. It'd be interesting forum indeed if we all had to use our real names. I imagine a lot the slagging would disappear.

Well good luck to you all.
Yak.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Jimmy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jimmy » Wed Sep 3 2008, 13:51

Good on you Yakking,

I've worked for a couple of companies and they have been great. Alice Springs Helicopters and Helireef. I only left to further my experience and see a bit more of the country.
Last edited by Jimmy on Thu Sep 4 2008, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Sep 3 2008, 21:51

Hey SP was Bill H there in Fiji with you? I had the pleasure of meeting him and flying away one of his outstanding AS350's this year. For those who have not had the pleasure, the workmanship from his team @ PCH in Caloundra is 1st rate.

Bill was already in Australia when I was in Fiji.
I’ve flown a number of his remanufactured AS350s and the third party quote “Better than new from the factory” is easily justifiable. 8)
dragonfly
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby dragonfly » Wed Sep 3 2008, 22:32

I started my flying career with Heli-muster NT doing jollies around Katherine Gorge.

Was buzzing about in an Astro which was well maintained by a bunch of engineers who new there stuff and were a top bunch of blokes.

There are new owners now, but from what I understand still a great place to work, especially for low hour pilots, and still those great engineers looking after the machines.

Did a Stint at MI Helicopters in Hervey Bay which was a great place to work, Great CP well maintained machines, the only reason I left was because I thought I wanted to go in a different direction, kind of regret leaving, but Thats Life.

Currently working for Sydney Helitours, again a great CP and bunch of guys working there. Machines are well maintained.

Every company mentioned above are all excellent operators and wouldn't hesitate recommending any one of them.

Would love to hear from more members. :D
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Sep 4 2008, 05:32

I started at Phillip Island Helicopters where I got a leg up.
I was only a casual there, for various reasons - one of which it was hard to leave a good paying job.

Now I'm at Sunraysia Helicopters in sunny Mildura.
I'm on the award wage plus I have a company ute for running around in.
We fly an R22 & B206.
Great conditions, but the down side, only average 10 hours per month.
I almost have 100 hrs turbine!

Experience gained slowly, is still experience.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
dragonfly
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby dragonfly » Fri Sep 5 2008, 08:34

Wow isn't it amazing no-one has any good news stories, there must be a lot of bad companies out there???????????????????????? :?

Return to “Techniques”