Web 2.0 how far do you go?

Got any good tips for that killer aircraft pic?
Pear Head
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Web 2.0 how far do you go?

Postby Pear Head » Fri Sep 5 2008, 10:45

How far do you go on line as far as blending working life with private life?
Do you retain any anonimity? If so why?
Do you prefer to be entirely open? why?
Is you boss / colleagues a friend on My-Face?

I prefer to keep home and work life seperate in the real and virtual worlds, and prefer to comment from behind a thin veil of secrecy in public forums. Just a shy retiring type.

Funny, I have just realised that I consider BladeSlapper to be private, not work related. :o :? Is this odd?
(It's not contradiction, just convoluted.) :D
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Web 2.0 how far do you go?

Postby Yakking » Sat Sep 6 2008, 01:09

Pearhead,

Whilst I don't say who i am on BS, the people I work with know who I am, I've said where I work and discussed my background, so anyone who made half an effort could work out who am I. I'm comfortable with this because I should be held accountable for what I say.

I realise that this forum is visited by prospective employers and as such I treat it in the appropriate manner. Facebook, well that's a little different. That's for myself and my friends to remain in contact and swap photos of what we're doing in our various parts of the world. I have it on a private setting and generally decline allowing co-employee's or clients to become friends.

What really bugs me about these forums (and this is not directed at just BS) is that people become bullet proof behind anominity. Things that they wouldn’t dream of saying to someone’s face is fair game on the internet. It’s just a little disappointing.

But I guess you have to take the good with the bad. BladeSlapper is still a great resource for any pilot trying to find out some tid-bit of info, or for getting a feel of the industry.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Pear Head
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pear Head » Wed Sep 10 2008, 11:08

Cheers, Yakking.

I imagine that the my face situation is similar for a lot of people, so, does anyone out there have any advice on how to decline requests from colleagues without causing offence?
Or do people out there keep two (or more) profiles?
Should anyone actually be bothered?

Must be more people out there than yakking and i who have thought about such topics.
BJM
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BJM » Thu Sep 11 2008, 01:06

Ok I'll bite

How far do you go on line as far as blending working life with private life?
I don't generally see work people out of work time if that is what you mean. Forum wise, is answered below.

Do you retain any anonimity? If so why? On here, not really. My user name are my initials. Other forums, kinda, until I meet people from them. I'm not in this industry, but I still watch what I say here. I am however in the automotive trade and frequent automotive forums, on which I try not to say directly who I work for, or my name, but some people are still smart enough to work it out.

Do you prefer to be entirely open? why? No. I have no control over who reads anything I post on the internet.

Is you boss / colleagues a friend on My-Face? We use msn at work, so I have most people on that.

Return to “Techniques”