GoPro HD Cameras

Got any good tips for that killer aircraft pic?
Ageing Crewie

GoPro HD Cameras

Postby Ageing Crewie » Fri May 25 2012, 14:05

As you can see I'm new to Bladeslapper and was interested if there is anyone out there using the GoPro Hero 2 camera's inside their helicopters to capture video. I'm trialling one at work but I'm having issues with the vibration. Does anyone have any tips especially with the mounting brackets supplied.

Cheers
HeliSAJ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: GoPro HD Cameras

Postby HeliSAJ » Fri May 25 2012, 20:49

Easy solution, You need to have the camera on a mount but also pressing against another surface which will take the vibration out, notmally with a silicone bump or foam between the surface & the camera..
Cheers,
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Fri May 25 2012, 23:18

you can also try tying a light piece of string from the base of the camera housing and pulling a bit of tension on it as that seems to help
Ageing Crewie

Postby Ageing Crewie » Sat May 26 2012, 05:48

Thanks for the info guys.
Does anyone use them who can give me any tips on the settings etc which are best suited to helicopter operations. The one we purchased was the motorsport edition as we thought the supplied mounts would be best suited but so far still trying to work out best practise/setup. We are currently trialling it in a BK117 and then a AS365N3+.

Also does anyone have any photos of their setups they can post.

cheers
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Sat May 26 2012, 08:57

Here are a couple I've done, mounted from various positions in the aircraft and on my helmet.

Aerial film job in a R44 over water:
[youtube]YGh5ntCx5hQ[/youtube]

Couple of Oil Platform approaches and departures in Long Ranger:
[youtube]H8znLmE1U-4[/youtube]

Supporting the mining industry in the Pilbara in a Squirrel: http://vimeo.com/26273652

Have a look, see what you think. I'm not really too interested in people's opinions about whether my approach is too steep or if I'm flying too low.

Enjoy!
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Sat May 26 2012, 09:42

Caution. Don't paint yourself into a corner with CASA. If you have a bad day, that video evidence could be jammed up where the Sun don't shine.

Also, if you had a gyro-stabilised camera mounting it would solve the vibration problems.

Another couple points to consider are: . . . In mounting the camera onto the aircraft, is it crashworthy (will it become lodged in someone's face), does it comply with a component installation, and will it distract you from your primary duty of flying the aircraft?
Last edited by cassidy_copter on Sun May 27 2012, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Never take "No" for an answer.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Sat May 26 2012, 12:37

I'm pretty sure you can remove some vibration with an editing program like Sony Vegas.

I find my biggest drama with GoPro's is that I'm retarded at editing. So I have a whole heap of footage just sitting there, waiting. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

Great little cameras.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Sun May 27 2012, 03:55

Yakking,

Great footage, a perfect video of Helicopter pilots at work.
Recce

Postby Recce » Tue May 29 2012, 04:31

the POV V.I.O is also a very good helmet cam, a little more expensive however, easily plugs into the ICS and with a remote control it is easy to turn on and off, comes with all helmet mounts and no vibration issues
Recce

Postby Recce » Tue May 29 2012, 04:35

ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Tue May 29 2012, 05:04

We have been using a GoPro with a lot of our training and operations. Awesome camera and we have been getting brilliant footage - mounted on the winch facing foward/down/rearwards, in the cabin, cockpit and so forth. Lots of good footage of rig approaches, winching from boats at night, in the mountains etc.

We haven't had any problems with vibrations either (Aw139 though).

Cheers

Balls
Ageing Crewie

Postby Ageing Crewie » Tue May 29 2012, 06:51

Balls,

Do you have any photos of your mount setup so I can get some ideas.

Also what settings do you have it on when recording...full HD or lower resolution.

chees

Ageing C.
Vidman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Vidman » Tue May 29 2012, 14:37

My first tip to anyone is take the camera out of the case. Use a good doublesided tape and vibration will not be an issue.
[youtube]h8Il2FiEFR0[/youtube]
If you look closely you can see what I did. I made a base to decrease the angle from the windscreen.
Worked pretty well I think.
The view from behind Dan was a older SD version of the VIO.

The camera I prefer to use for mounting on helmets is the Contour HD.
It is a lot more slimline on a helmet. This video is fairly old but we had a Contour on the crewman.
[youtube]ZticKQQf9sY[/youtube]
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue May 29 2012, 21:08

I've found using the suction mount with the go pro works very well also without any vibration.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
mickjoiebill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

GoPro HD Cameras

Postby mickjoiebill » Wed May 30 2012, 11:10

Oh this little response of mine has turned into a TAFE course....

Having rigged minicams since 1984 I won't be surprised if there will be some odd things happen that could compromise flight safety, simply because there is so many of these things in use now....
Over the years a few helicopters have crashed due to camera kit fouling controls.
Also in a few cases insurers have argued about camera cables or cameramen fouling flight controls, regardless of statements made by cameraman and pilot.

Since it is not being connected into the electrical system and it is a temporary installation the general consensus is that it need not be signed off.

If mounting above critical controls it is prudent to consider what would happen if the mount failed.
Suction mounts need only a tiny scratch for air to slowly leak out then they pop off.
Applying nose grease (!) to the edge of the mount can help solve the problem.

I've had a mount stay put for six months on the windscreen of a AS355 news machine in the UK.
Vibration will vary with mounting point weight of camera ect.
Beware of the on screen visual "jello effect" caused by each frame of video exposed by a rolling shutter. Good audio helps tell the story
Frangible mounts should be used on helmets. Heavy duty stiff plastic velcro is in common use. A note in agreement of it's use from the helmet manufacturer would be prudent if a company is going to deploy them.

If using a small monitor, beware of being entrapped by video cables, on two occasions cameramen have drowned entangled in cables and straps in a temporary installation.
In respect to ownership, if you are in command of the camera ie you are the photographer, then you own the copyright to the image. The card on which the image is recorded is a separate matter, so if someone else supplies the recording media they own the media but you own the image :)
It is prudent to get permission from all those on screen before posting on youtube especially if the footage and sound was gathered in the confines of a private space like a cockpit. For charter work include a "release form" in any paperwork passengers have to sign. If there is an incident, having copyright to the footage and prior agreement of the subjects to be recorded may aid your ability to use the footage in court.

The most significant risk of a camera onboard is pilot distraction. Think of the camera as part of your role equipment and include it in preflight checks and as part of your scan, don't wait to be surprised and distracted by a dodgy image on the monitor or the camera falling off.
As a pilot, consider in your flight planning and CRM that, like most people on the planet, you could be unduly influenced by the evil little eye.

Some aspects of the risk will decease as the novelty wears off and other aspects will endure.

The pressures and excitement of the filming mission all too frequently are an underlying factor in bringing down perfectly airworthy aircraft.

From an industry standpoint, the introduction of pilot cams in large numbers is a significant factor to watch in the risk matrix....so keep your cool, your licence and your life!

Happy shooting!

Mickjoebill

Return to “Techniques”