Insurance update - Income protection for low hour pilots

Loss of licence, TPD, loss of income and more.
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Insurance update - Income protection for low hour pilots

Postby Planner » Thu Aug 3 2017, 06:41

Hi folks,

I haven't posted for a while because not much has been happening on the pilot life insurance front. However, I thought an update might be in order.

Ag pilots and mustering
Unfortunately, the last of my insurers who wanted to take on these occupations has fled the scene. I can still do life and trauma insurance but will come with a premium loading which may prove prohibitive to some clients.

Aviation as second occupation
If flying is your second job and you are doing less than 80 hours pa rotary or 100 hours pa fixed wing then I have an insurer who is willing to consider insuring based on your man occupation. What this means is if your main occupation is not involving police work, member of an ant-terror squad or bomb disposal then we might be able to get you income protection cover as well as life, trauma and total & permanent disability cover. This might be especially tempting for those who think they might increase their hours over the coming years thus becoming uninsurable over time.

That pretty much sums up the changes over the past 12 months. If you have any questions, feel free to post or to give me a call.

Planner.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Insurance update - Income protection for low hour pilots

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Aug 3 2017, 09:24

Can't understand why someone wouldn't want to insure someone doing bomb disposal :wink:
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Thu Aug 3 2017, 10:03

Nor can I FF.....

How many people died in Australia doing bomb disposal this year?

How many people died in Australia flying helicopters this year? :|
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Sat Mar 24 2018, 21:19

Morning all,

Has anyone had dealing or is currently insured by this outfit?

Any other suggestions or recommendations for insurance options?

Thanks and regards,

Koala :)
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Mar 25 2018, 04:09

Yes. Had dealings with company for 6-7 years and only good things to say. PM for more details.
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Mon Mar 26 2018, 11:28

How is it that Ag ops is a different occupation? I’m a commercial helicopter pilot who does Ag ops. Do I need to be more specific with things like my super or private health insurance? Oc:=
Should I be telling my insurers I do 700hrs a year of bomb disposal and another 100hrs of risk free charter, sling? :lol:
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Mar 26 2018, 11:57

Ops normal wrote:How is it that Ag ops is a different occupation? I’m a commercial helicopter pilot who does Ag ops. Do I need to be more specific with things like my super or private health insurance?

Showing some ignorance of ag ops here, however, flying at sub 50ft in amongst trees and wires is in the eyes of most insurers is ‘slightly’ more risky than perhaps being at 7000ft in a twin flying IFR to a hospital helipad or offshore platform. The insurers do the numbers and know the risks. The premiums reflect that.
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Mon Mar 26 2018, 12:59

Understand where your coming from Ferrari however the way I see it is I am a commercial helicopter pilot end of story. Ag is just a task within that occupation and it is disappointing that organisations try to manipulate things and not support the helicopter pilot community as one group.
May have to look into spraying at 7000ft in a twin engine (single gearbox) helicopter :lol:
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon Mar 26 2018, 18:24

You can get good life and trauma insurance from brokers in NZ, that will cover you, and it doesn’t seem to matter what type of flying you do.

I do about 60% Ag, the rest low lvl, construction, fires, and logging, 100% hook work and it’s pretty well priced.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Mon Mar 26 2018, 19:29

Thanks for the replies and the PM's. The info is appreciated. :D :D
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Mon Mar 26 2018, 20:26

I second that SuperF. I also get good life and trauma cover in NZ and also cover me overseas.

Slight loading for the overseas flying but all in all a reasonble price for good piece of mind.

I don’t think I have any loading for ag either.

Return to “Insurance”