EFB's

Electronic Flight Bags, Apps and tips.
Old Mate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

EFB's

Postby Old Mate » Tue Dec 10 2013, 06:32

G'day,

I'm interested in getting some opinions on EFB's. Been out of the game for a bit and want to return with as much current information as possible. Unfortunately my knowledge of all things technological is lacking. Has anyone had much to do with Ozrunways or Avplan while operating remote? Have you found the coverage is limited below 2,000ft? Will the Ipad GPS still operate if Telstra coverage is limited? Can you create a waypoint on any part of the WAC and get coordinates for a particular bore/tower/hill/station/creek etc? Can you get current D.A. calculations for an area? Ipad mini or normal Ipad? (without getting into legal sizes). Do you mount it or just leave it on the seat next to you?

Thanks for any advice.
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: EFB's

Postby chocolate » Tue Dec 10 2013, 07:52

Ozrunways is excellent and easy to learn. Coverage isn't a problem or under 2000 or marking waypoints on the go. I have wireless ipad which means internal gps and I have never had a problem with GPS accuracy. Download all the maps you need when in telstra range so you have them when out of range. It's not as onerous as it sounds and once done is easy to maintain. 1:250000 is part of the maps available and that helps a lot with remote work.

The ipad however is very hard to see in sunlight when flying..worse than a garmin unit....and the ipad is a bar....d for going blank due overheating. Which is Very very often where I am in central qld.

Get naips app as well. Together they are a great planning setup before flights. Includes ersa aip and other good stuff.

By the way I am about to upgrade to mini as the ipad full size gets in the way a bit. Just my opinion...
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Tue Dec 10 2013, 09:33

You can ad an app called memory maps as well. It has all the maps that include bores and homesteads etc. if memory serves it is geared towards farmers and useful doing bush work. It works as a mapping tool on fires incredibly well. It's a better bread crumb tool than OZ runways.
GGheli
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby GGheli » Wed Dec 11 2013, 00:03

Chocolate is on the money Ozrunways with Naips is brilliant, I have it on the Ipad mini with a ram suction mount in the R44 but left in the sun for too long it will go to sleep until it cools down plus you cannot wear polarized sunnies!!!!
Old Mate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Old Mate » Thu Dec 19 2013, 07:24

Thanks for the info guys,

Bought the Ipad mini Retina today and ordered a knee dock. Now I just gotta work this thing out!
Eastwoodblade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Eastwoodblade » Wed Apr 16 2014, 13:10

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience connecting oz runways by wifi printer and if so any particular one that works well.. I want to do weight and balance + naips weather + a flight note (not sure if ozRW does this?) in one hit on the fly. Anyone got the W & B graph sorted for an R44 I?
Rotary as in not the Wankel engine...

Return to “EFB's”