ATPL (H) Flight Planning

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

ATPL (H) Flight Planning

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Jan 30 2016, 01:14

Quick question for the more enlightened.

In calculating PNR or CP do you need to calculate effective TAS unless CAS is specifically given in the question or is it always calculated at 140t/100kt depending on AEO or OEI?

Cheers
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: ATPL (H) Flight Planning

Postby Saucepan » Sat Jan 30 2016, 04:08

Hi ET,

I'm not an enlightened one, and when I did my ATPLs in good 'ole JAR land, I'm sure I had to work out PNRs, and CPs using G/S. However, I would often be asked to convert from IAS, EAS, CAS, TAS etc plus Mach No, from compressibility, altitude and OAT, which is cock all use to flying helicopters but a hoop to jump through anyway. But ground speed would be the key?

Cheers, Saucepan.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Jan 30 2016, 05:15

Thanks for your reply Saucepan, yep got that one. I should've said, when calculating G/S from TAS. I'm trying to establish if I should be using the S76 handbook TAS of 140KT unless CAS is given in the question content, or, calculating TAS given temp and pressure. I'm leaning towards handbook TAS but think I fell into a CASA trap when looking in too much detail for gotcha's. I'd love to meet a CASA question writer in a pub :shock: )c/

Thanks again for your reply
ET
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Sat Jan 30 2016, 06:13

No worries ET,

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful. My performance and planning was done on a Boeing 727.....who operates those things now? And that was only 6 years ago! Good luck with finding a CASA question writer in a PUB! pop;

Cheers Saucepan.

Return to “Advanced Training”